It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
(female)

thullyer HB User
New here - Thyroid lobectomy in 3 weeks

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice. I did post on the Thyroid Disorders page but got no replies so it's possible I should have posted here, given my question.

I noticed the right side of my neck looked just a little more puffy than my left in some recent pics so went to see my GP who could see it, felt my neck and sent me for bloods. My TSH sits around 2.5 currently so within 'normal' range. She referred me to an endo at my local hospital who I saw a month later, he felt my neck and said I had a multi nodular goitre and should have an ultrasound. I'd done a bit of googling beforehand so wasn't too concerned by this 'diagnosis'. In his letter to my GP it said my right side was significantly enlarged.

Anyway, had my ultrasound two weeks later and she told me the thyroid is not enlarged but I have a nodule that is solid, 1.8x1.3cm on my right side (not massive by any means) and I'll need an FNA but she hadn't the authority to do it. She told me to call my consultant that afternoon (very alarming for the NHS in the UK) to make the appt for an FNA.

So I called and spoke to his secretary who told me he was on leave for a few days and she would show him the scan pics when he got back the following week. Then she called me the very next day and offered me an appt at his clinic the next week. Decided to see this as super-efficient admin rather than anything else!

Anyway I saw him last Friday, he immediately told me they had to take the right side out and 'the sooner the better', with a smile. I was reeling, thinking I was there for an FNA, but I haven't had one of these at all.

Tuesday morning, I have a call on my answerphone asking me to call the hospital back asap (their words). I called and was told my consultant had pushed for an asap op date and they have offered me 26 November (3 weeks on today). I was hoping for before Christmas, at the very best. Now I am really starting to stress about how quickly this is all happening. I know I should be over the moon with such swift action, especially over here in the UK where waiting times are often dreadful.

Can anyone reassure me that this is in fact normal procedure (and speed), or should I see this as an amber light for a cancer diagnosis?

Thanks so much if you've got this far - I'm aware I've written an essay....!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

thyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB User
Re: New here - Thyroid lobectomy in 3 weeks

Hi! Sorry to hear what you're dealing with, sounds scary... I'm wondering what they saw on ultrasound that was so conclusive they saw no need for FNA? Haven't heard this situation before. I have numerous nodules, 1 being about 2cm, others just under/over 1cm. Some have calcification and none are cysts. They don't even see fit to FNA them. So here I sit choking and wondering. I'm glad you are at least getting help. Best wishes and maybe try to get copy of your US report to see what's there?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Things are very different in the UK---they are by the way, pretty good with thyroid cancer if that seems to be a concern.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

thullyer HB User

Thanks both. Yes I have compression symptoms too so gag in my sleep, choke on food etc etc. that, coupled with a nodule which is solid and solitary is enough for them to bypass the fna and just remove. I called them btw She stressed that I may well get an unfavourable biopsy - they can't know until then. I'm pretty much expecting it. One week to go :/

Closed Thread