It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
(female)

mausi HB User
Thyroid Cancer

I was just diagnosed with Pap thyroid cancer. I am so scared ..cannot sleep,barely eat and i do not know what to do. I have a history of heart arrythmias which does not help either. My heart racing in general but this is making matters worse. My neck is so sore also.
I just want to know what to expect with surgery.
Also was hoping someone can tell me if RAI is an option to kill the cancer without surgery. Or do I have no choice but to have the surgery.

Please help!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
(female)

HollandAnn HB User
Re: Thyroid Cancer

Hi Mausi

Please dont be afraid. I know cancer is a scary word but papillary carcinoma is not going to take your life. Nope. I promise.
If there were a "good" cancer this would be on the very short list of them. Basil cell (a basic form of skin cancer) is also on that short list.

Papillary carcinoma is responsible for more than 80% of thyroid cancers and very treatable. Even if it has gone into lymph nodes, it doesn't change the pronosis or make things worse.

Do NOT ignore it though and get treated asap. You will be just fine. So many have had their thyroid removed because of this very same thing and go on their merry way. Have someone with you that you trust to remember details and get information because with all the emotions you have running through you, it's hard to handle your own medical without a friend or family member with you.

In your case, I would get a second opinion if a doctor doesn't recommend surgery. Surgery is really the only option. After the incision heals (6 to 8 weeks) you then have radiation to kill off remaining thyroid cells left behind. Not sure why you'd still want your thyroid with a cancer diagnosis. I will say however, you DO have time to get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion.
Unless they've told you it has invaded other areas (cancer outside of the thyroid. Not confined) then, you're perfectly safe discussing your health with more than one doctor. Don't do anything until you're satisfied with your answers.
Out of the many cancers you can have with the thyroid, this one is the "best" so to speak and very very treatable. Yup. It's scary. Yup. You'll have a scar. Yup. It fades to nearly nothing. Just go through it. Don't try to go around it.

You'll be just fine...

(Edited a couple of times (ok, a few) because I can't spell tonight for some reason)

Last edited by HollandAnn; 11-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
(female)

mausi HB User

Thank you for replying to me

I am just worried when I am in the operating room if something goes wrong. Or will I wake up during the operation. Will I wake up after the operation. Will my blood pressure and heart rate go out of whack while being under. Since I already have arrythmias everyday and now everything is worse.

I obssess over my heart already and this makes matters worse. Now I am dizzy all the time. I am not coping at all with the news

I have read so much on the internet how my breathing can be affected. Hemmoraging or death. I am losing it!!!

Please help me ....I don't know what to think anymore.

Thank you
Judy

Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Stop reading the internet then. Talk to your surgeon about your heart issues, and make sure every one knows you have these.

Hope all goes well, you are going to be fine.....I had thyroid cancer over 8 years ago---I'm no worse for the wear...good luck!

Closed Thread