It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

Bubs4521 HB User
Thyroid cancer and worried sick, help!

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or has been through the same as me.
I am a 30 year old female, and was diagnosed a year ago with minimally invasive follicular carcinoma. I had the nodule removed last November, and when the results came back, I then had to have a further operation to remove the ther side of the thyroid ( which was clear). My consultant has always said that my nodule was "practically benign" and due to this he agreed that I could have the low dose iodine treatment to ablate the thyroid tissue that was left over, and I had this in April of this year.
However, I had my WBS today, and I saw the images, which had not completely got rid of the thyroid tissue fully, although he wasn't too concerned. But it seemed to show a lighter ghostly outline of some tissue left over. However, my thyroglobulin level hasnt come back yet. If it comes back lower than what it was, he says he is happy for me to come back in a year, as he suspects the thyroxine will suppress the tissue, and clear it. However I am now worried sick, as what if it comes back high?
What could this mean? He has always said that I don't need to worry as it was so minimal. Now I am worried sick..... Help! Any advice would be gratefully received. Has anyone had the same??
Thanks,
Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Thyroid cancer and worried sick, help!

If I were in your situation, I would not be worried. I know it's scary to think about having cancer, but thyroid cancer is usually very slow growing. Yours sounds like a very early one. They can keep it from coming back with the proper dose of thyroxine, even if there was some tissue left. Many of us have microscopic thyroid cancer that shows with TG, but we live normal long lives with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
(female)

Bubs4521 HB User

But if there is a ghostly faint outline of the tissue left, does this mean it hasn't been successfully abated? Thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs4521 View Post
But if there is a ghostly faint outline of the tissue left, does this mean it hasn't been successfully abated? Thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated.
If it wasn't successfully ablated, I believe you would have some level of TG thyroglobulin in your blood. Isn't yours undetectable? I thought your cancerous nodule was removed. My surgery was 6 years ago, so my memory is a little shaky. I am quite sure I saw tissue that lit up on my scan. I think it has to REALLY light up for it to be significant.

The true test is the TG test. Actually, those scans are more likely to NOT show anything. I have had clean scans, but still have TG in my blood, where the source has never been discovered.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
(female)

Bubs4521 HB User

I had the nodule removed, and then had the low dose iodine treatment. The scan showed the tissue still there very faintly last week, but i wasnt sure if this meant it had worked or not. The consultant was not worried, providing the tg level comes back lower than what it was before the RAI (it was 10 before the treatment). I haven't had that result back yet, so I just hope it is lower than It was.

Closed Thread