It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

MCNAY HB User
Shocked or Damaged Parathyroids after TT

I am so hoping someone can help me. I was diagnosed with Papillary thyroid cancer after a hemi thyroidectomy in August of this year. Two days ago I had the rest of my thyroid removed. Surgery went well I am told. Since I have had this surgery before, I knew what to expect. They did a blood test and said my Calcium levels were too low and gave me IV calcium once, then the pills and calcitrol. I was released after 2.5 days in hospital with a prescription for calcium and calcitrol.....for SIX MONTHS SUPPLY.

So are they permanently damaged or just shocked? My surgeon says all glands are still intact. I am taking alot of calcuim , 1000mg x 3 per day and Calcitrol x twice a day. I am scared at the thought of having to take all of this medication for the rest of my life. I have been pouring over the internet trying to find others who have had issues with Calcium and if it came back to normal after surgery.

I was also hoping since i had these surgeries so many months apart that the parathyroids would have a better shot at being ok.

This also may sound odd but it has been three days since my surgery and i am wondering if i am now HYPERcalcemic....i have no appetite, feel like vomiting alot, my urine has been cloudy for one day (NO UTI) and abdo discomfort.

I am praying my parathyroids decide to work again. has anyone ever had a good result within a week or so after surgery and Calcium issues?

The thought of having to take all of this medication for the rest of my life is terrifying...thank you for helping

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Shocked or Damaged Parathyroids after TT

Your surgeon or endocrinologist can order a "stat" blood test for you so can rush the results and find out if you are experiencing either too much or too little calcium. My surgeon basically told me that anything can happen---I was fortunate, no damage.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

mom2twogirls HB User

Sorry, for what you are going through, but is my life right now as well. I had a TT on Sept. 4th of this year. I was in the hospital for 8 days post op due to calcium issues. I received IV calcium twice a day on several days and once a day on six days. Last month was tough and they were working to get it up. Three of my parathyroids were untouched, one had to be reimplanted. They are still not back to normal and daily I am taking 8 calcitriols, 8 oscal, extra vit. d, K, and Potassium. I also went through a big bottle of tums last month and 2 bottles of cacium chewable gummies. I pray this is not life long as well for either of us. They were doing lab work for the first two months twice weekly but am down to once weekly now. My calcium levels are still in the mid 8's (not normal yet). Make sure they are watching the levels because too high is as bad as too low. They want to keep them a little low so the parathyroids will still try to work. I had your same symptoms about the same day post op and it ended up being my experience to the levothyroxine. They dropped the dosage, then uped it slowly and that fixed it. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

2hot2b4got HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNAY View Post
I am so hoping someone can help me. I was diagnosed with Papillary thyroid cancer after a hemi thyroidectomy in August of this year. Two days ago I had the rest of my thyroid removed. Surgery went well I am told. Since I have had this surgery before, I knew what to expect. They did a blood test and said my Calcium levels were too low and gave me IV calcium once, then the pills and calcitrol. I was released after 2.5 days in hospital with a prescription for calcium and calcitrol.....for SIX MONTHS SUPPLY.

So are they permanently damaged or just shocked? My surgeon says all glands are still intact. I am taking alot of calcuim , 1000mg x 3 per day and Calcitrol x twice a day. I am scared at the thought of having to take all of this medication for the rest of my life. I have been pouring over the internet trying to find others who have had issues with Calcium and if it came back to normal after surgery.

I was also hoping since i had these surgeries so many months apart that the parathyroids would have a better shot at being ok.

This also may sound odd but it has been three days since my surgery and i am wondering if i am now HYPERcalcemic....i have no appetite, feel like vomiting alot, my urine has been cloudy for one day (NO UTI) and abdo discomfort.

I am praying my parathyroids decide to work again. has anyone ever had a good result within a week or so after surgery and Calcium issues?

The thought of having to take all of this medication for the rest of my life is terrifying...thank you for helping
I had a total thyroidectomy & accidental removal of my parathyroid. I had been having undiagnosed symptoms of hypocalcemia for almost a year, they kept telling me I was having TIA, although I have chronic low blood pressure (80/50) all the time! But hey, maybe a person with low bp can have strokes too? It was 24 hours after I was released from the hospital that I went into a full blown tetany seizure, rushed to the ER, again they said, must be stroke, but one alert ER doc saw my thyroidectomy scar, realized I was dying and acted rapidly to do a heart cath and inject calcium into my heart! Spent a week in the ICU while they figured out how did that happen.

Reply Reply