It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

debmc1958 HB User
mass the same as nodule?

The doctor kept referring to the 5 cm mass that showed up on the ultrasound as a mass, so I asked if it was a nodule and he said no. I don't really know what to make of that. Is a mass different than a nodule? Thanks

Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: mass the same as nodule?

Keep in mind, sometimes if it's that large, it might just be a "goiter" an overgrowth of your thyroid lobe. Mass, tumor, nodule, I'm guessing they all have to do with size/shape/definition, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

debmc1958 HB User
Re: mass the same as nodule?

Thanks for your reply. I picked up the ultrasound tonight and the report says Nodule 1 and Nodule 2 on left lobe then in the conclusion it refers to it as a mass. So that didn't help clear up my confusion much. The report also has a typo with Nodule 1 measuring 51 x 31 x 50mm on the first page but in the conclusion it is 51 x 31 x 15 mm. I about had a heart attack and am not sure which is correct. Nodule 2 is 8 x 5 x 6 mm. Nodule 1 is the one recommended for fna due to hypervascularity and size. It is also predominantly solid with some complex areas so I think from my reading that is not a good sign. My doctor did mention what you said, that it could be a goiter but he really seemed out of his element with this. I never thought I'd be at a point in my life where I'd be hoping I have a goiter but there it is. I'm scheduled for fna on Jan 14 at Jefferson in Philadelphia.

Closed Thread