My US conclusion is - based on the hypervascularity and the size of the mass, (50 x. 31 x. 15 mm) a fine needle aspiration is recommended for further evaluation. I was wondering what anyone or everyone's US conclusion says if you don't mind sharing.
This is the impression from mine which was just done last week....
I go tomorrow for the fnb- and am scared half to death....... Impression: tiny bilateral cysts which have benign characteristics . There is a 6 x 3 mm complex hypoechoic nodule with microcalcifications and increased peripheral arterial blood flow within the upper pole of the left lobe. An ultrasound guided biopsy of this nodule is advised for further evaluation.
Last edited by backhurtz; 02-06-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Reason: left out words in impression
Is that 5 cm? Get another ultrasound if that's 50mm because that's more a mass, or possibly just a goiter---an enlarged thyroid lobe. That is quite large for a "nodule" and a needle wouldn't get enough cells to determine what that is. You should work with a great surgeon ENT with tons of thyroid experience if you have a 5cm growth. If it's a "goiter" that's benign and not unusual.
I had an appointment with an endo last week. She did another ultrasound and said the mass is actually 6.7 cm extending downward. She feels it is benign. But I am scheduled to have a repeat FNA with her performing it in March. The first FNA was benign by one pathologist's reading and FLUS by a second reading. I'm struggling a bit with why I am not just going right for surgery. It's all very confusing and while I don't want surgery, I realize it is necessary. I guess I am holding out hope that if it comes back benign, maybe they can take just the left lobe. The right lobe is apparently unaffected.
If you were with a surgeon, an ENT, the surgeon would probably discuss that, there's no need for any further evaluation in your case. Even benign thyroid lobes sometimes grow out of control, wrap around neck structures, and can even grow into your chest. If you can, see some surgeons. You are likely feeling constrictive symptoms without even realizing that's what it's from.
They completely missed the thyroid . To quote the pathologist report, there are no thyroid cells in the submitted specimins. All they got was blood..so while we don't know what they actually biopsied, none of it was thyroid and certainly not any of the new growth that they are concerned about. The very same day, about 8 hours later, I also got my stereotactic biopsy results from my breast biopsy done the day after the thyroid one- they also completely missed the microcalcifications that they were targeting. Two different facilities, two different doctors and both missed their intended targets.
Needless to say I have to have the thyroid redone, and had the breast biopsy redone on Tuesday, so now I am left to hurry up and wait . My doctor said that he wanted me to wait on the thyroid for a week or so to give it time to heal given the amount of bleeding from the first time. He was afraid that it would just be bruised and yield more blood rather than the nodule.
I hope that you get a great result and things turn out okay for you. I will be watching to see.
Thanks Deb, I will post once I get it redone. At this point, he wants me to repeat it this week but I have my colonoscopy on Monday, so I will do it again when I can get it booked this week.
Thankfully my second stereotactic came back benign. I was so worried, given two different biopsies in two days, then both not getting what they needed, having to repeat both again- at least one is done and is fine, now onto the next thing. Hopefully for all of us, we will all wind up with the it's fine results..
Seems like we all have to spend far too much time worrying- you would think that they could just stick it under a microscope and reassure us before we even leave the facilities....that would be far better all the way around.
Well, I will be going to pick up the new prescription for the second fnb on my thyroid Monday given that I need to go back to the doctors some time the following week and he wanted it redone before I see him.......
Hoping that this time, they don't miss.
I got a callback for a repeat mammogram and ultrasound, they found two masses and clusters of calcifications. Now I don't know what to deal with first. Panic doesn't even cover how I feel. This was my first mammogram and I am 54 so feel like I should prepare myself. Hope you get some results from your second FNA.
I think I've gotten a little lost in these message boards. How did you make out with your second FNA?
I am on a six month callback now with both the breast and thyroid. I did the second mammogram and ultrasound which showed the masses to be cysts but an area of calcifications. The radiology place recommended a biopsy but I got a second opinoin and went to a breast surgeon who said the calcifications look benign so I go back in six months for another mammogram.
The second thyroid FNA came back benign! They told me when I was still there but had to wait till the next day for the official final results. They told me to come back in a year! Crazy.
So I still have my 5 cm thyroid tumor but I'm going to stop worrying so much for now.