It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

cyars08 HB User
Post ablation scan - worried

Hi - I had my entire thyroid removed plus 18 lymph nodes on Nov 30 (papillary carcinoma). Had my I131 on Jan 11 and post ablation scan last week. My doc called and left a message saying she thought there was nothing to worry about. Uptake was noted in liver, bladder, thyroid bed and salivary glands. One other thing to mention was there was uptake noted in "lower hemithorax" which has shown up before in other patients and turned out to be nothing. She plans to do bloodwork at the end of Feb to measure my TSH, Thyroglobulin and Tga after which we will re-evaluate.

This makes me a little worried. Has anyone else had anything similar? I have been having pain at the lower part of my ribs for some months now and have had many diagnostic scans and ultrasounds to find the cause. Is it possible it could be a metastasis? I won't get a chance to talk to her until next week, and just wondered if anyone could give me reassuring words in the meantime?

Thank you!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User
Re: Post ablation scan - worried

Hi cyars08. I'm afraid all I can offer at this point is the knowledge that you're not alone on your journey. I just had my surgery a week ago and certainly understand your fear. I've been told that everything went smoothly and not to worry. But I know that she found more than she expected to. So, I just can't help but worry a little. I know that telling you not to is pointless. But, if your doctor is anything like mine, she wouldn't keep you waiting if the scan results were cause to be concerned. Nor would she put off further testing for a month if she felt there was truly something there to find. It certainly sounds, from what she said, that she is just covering all the bases by ordering the additional tests. Maybe you could give her a call and let her know how worried you are about the results and also about the rib pain that concerns you. Hopefully she'll let you know that you really do have nothing to worry about and can relax until you see her. I do understand why you're worried and hope someone comes along with the answers you need soon. In the meantime, if talking helps, come on back. I'm at home recovering and have lots of time on my hands. Hang in there. Will keep you in prayer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Post ablation scan - worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyars08 View Post
Hi - I had my entire thyroid removed plus 18 lymph nodes on Nov 30 (papillary carcinoma). Had my I131 on Jan 11 and post ablation scan last week. My doc called and left a message saying she thought there was nothing to worry about. Uptake was noted in liver, bladder, thyroid bed and salivary glands. One other thing to mention was there was uptake noted in "lower hemithorax" which has shown up before in other patients and turned out to be nothing. She plans to do bloodwork at the end of Feb to measure my TSH, Thyroglobulin and Tga after which we will re-evaluate.

This makes me a little worried. Has anyone else had anything similar? I have been having pain at the lower part of my ribs for some months now and have had many diagnostic scans and ultrasounds to find the cause. Is it possible it could be a metastasis? I won't get a chance to talk to her until next week, and just wondered if anyone could give me reassuring words in the meantime?

Thank you!
All of your results sound normal. Just wanted to mention that Thyroglobulin IS TG. It still could be very elevated as it takes about a year for the RAI to do it's work, and kill any remaining thyroid cells. How many of those lymph nodes contained cancer? You probably know that having cancer in lymph nodes doesn't affect the prognosis, like in other types of cancer.

Reply Reply