It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

Annarbs2000 HB User
New diagnosis

Hi I am just 40 and had an mri for back pain that showed up 3 nodules on my left lobe, had an ultrasound and the dr said two were fine but one had a small bit of calcification but he was 85% sure it was ok, had a needle biopsy and it came back suspicious. I was very lucky and had private health cover, my ent and thyroid surgeon is very good, he did a partial thyroidectomy and the biopsy showed a fully encapsulated 1.5 cm papillary carcinoma.
He has said as it is on the borderline for size (1.5) he doesn't think I will need a total thyroidectomy which I suppose will also mean no rai?
He is having a meeting with other dr's and I find out their opinion next week.
I feel that a tt with rai is the only real way of protecting myself against a re-occurrence but he is very laid back about the cancer and said if it comes back we will just wip out the other half?
Also I am now getting upper back pain/cramps that come and go and I just wondered if anyone has had this? Many thanks!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: New diagnosis

Protocols are rapidly changing in thyroid cancer. I agree that you should consider the full thyroidectomy---how do you know there's really no microcancers that can grow larger on the other side? The new belief is it's not necessary, but personally, I would worry about the other side just because I'm a worrier. But in UK, I'm not so sure you can get other opinions?

Some cancer experts don't consider an encapsulated 1.5cm pappillary carcinoma really cancer any more. You are fine for not having the RAI either way, and likely you are done worrying about this cancer. They are doing RAI less frequently these days especially with your diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

smileyhappy HB User

Hi Anna,

Why take out something that still will benefit you. As long as the doctors keep an eye on the other piece of thyroid and the suroundings I think that you wil be fine. Just make sure you keep appointments with the Endocrinologist on your lab work and checkups during the year. I myself am going for my full body scan in April. Had a full thyroidectomy for cancer last Jan./12 and had Rai in March/12. So a year has gone by already and now praying all is well.

Smileyhappy

Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
(female)

Annarbs2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyhappy View Post
Hi Anna,

Why take out something that still will benefit you. As long as the doctors keep an eye on the other piece of thyroid and the suroundings I think that you wil be fine. Just make sure you keep appointments with the Endocrinologist on your lab work and checkups during the year. I myself am going for my full body scan in April. Had a full thyroidectomy for cancer last Jan./12 and had Rai in March/12. So a year has gone by already and now praying all is well.

Smileyhappy

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

Annarbs2000 HB User

Hi smilehappy
Maybe your right, am just so worried that if it comes back I will kick myself! I have tender spots under each arm and have been panicking that it has spread there and they have missed it, but nothing seems swollen so its probably me just worrying!
Hope all goes well with your scan post back and let me know!
Anna

Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
(female)

smileyhappy HB User
Smile Re: New diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annarbs2000 View Post
Hi smilehappy
Maybe your right, am just so worried that if it comes back I will kick myself! I have tender spots under each arm and have been panicking that it has spread there and they have missed it, but nothing seems swollen so its probably me just worrying!
Anna
Hi Anna,
Wow I replied Reply quote and ended up in your message. Is that how it works?

Anyway, as long as you got your pain checked under your arms too, everything should be fine. Well hope all goes well for you.

Smileyhappy

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
(female)

smileyhappy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annarbs2000 View Post
Hi smilehappy
Anna
Thanks.

Reply Reply

Tags
papillary thyroid carcimoma