It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

thullyer HB User
Update on my thyroidectomy

I posted on here back in November worried about the speed with which I was being put forward for a partial thyroidectomy, with only an ultrasound and no FNA done. But I had such bad choking and gagging I went through with the early date.

I thought it'd be useful I share my story as I know how terrifying all of this can be.

The op took 4.5 hours, not the 2.5 hours they said. Think my blood calcium levels dropped or something. I needed to stay in overnight for that so probably. I was croaky and sore for a week and at the end of the first week got a temp and my neck seemed more swollen so got a weeks antibiotics for post op infection. I went back to work after two weeks and felt fine. I haven't needed any sickness time off since then.

I had a tumour on the right side which took an incredible (and nerve wracking) 7 weeks to get the result on. But it was benign - was just an adenoma. I can't describe the relief!

It's been 9/10 weeks since the op and I will cant sing very high notes or shout - - to the distinct benefit of all that know me

I went to see my gp a fortnight ago feeling a bit washed out and rubbish - I hadn't had a blood test since October. Back then my tsh sat at 2.5. When I went to see her for the results a few days later my tsh was 11 and my free t4 was 9. So I'm now on Eltroxin 50mg for 6 weeks then bein retested. I had hoped I'd get away without needing the thyroxine but my gp said they have given it the chance to uptake and its not worked so I'm now on this for life. Feel a little bit gutted at the whole 'medication for life' bit but I am starting to feel better and for that I'm very grateful

Terri x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply