this is the results of ultrasound findings two months ago and Feb 1 I had first needle aspiration, and had to repeat this on the 22 Feb. Please my kids and I don't know what to expect, We are in limbo, I get that everything takes time but our lives have come to a big jolting stop. We need to know what these results mean and why the retest, the waiting is driving me nuts. Please I can't really talk to the kids about this and I know I'm not alone in this.Thanks for all the replies and support in advance
Ultrasound results dated 1/15/2013
right lobe measures L: 5.21 x W: 2.02 x L: 1.47cm
multiple nodules were seen, the larger is complex cyst measuring 2.0x1.3x1.04cm this cyst demonstrates irregular borders and calcification. right lobe is larger than left
left lobe measures L: 3.77 x W: 1.62 x L: 1.35cm
multiple nodules are visualized. the largest measures 0.3x0.3x0.3cm and is located in the inferior portion of left thyroid gland this nodule appears to be hypoechoic
isthmus measures 5.06mm
A complex cyst is visualized in the isthmus measuring 1.2x0.8x0.6cm A calcification is seen in inferior of cyst
Sounds like you have a "multinodular goiter" a lumpy bumpy thyroid usually the result of thyroid disease. You should post your thyroid numbers (tsh, free t4 and free t3 with lab ranges) on the thyroid board.
You are just going through the steps now to rule out thyroid cancer, but as you go through the steps, you shouldn't get too scared, because this is not going to change your life very much even if the worst case scenario--thyroid cancer were the end result. It's a pretty easily treatable (compared to other cancers) and usually curable cancer were it to happen.
I wonder if some thyroid meds would shrink this up if it were benign, and then you can get another ultrasound in 6 months after being on meds to see if it does. You can live a long and healthy life without a thyroid if you had to have it removed.
I think you should not live your life in "limbo" for something like this, it's likely nothing, and either way you should take it step by step, and you will ultimately be fine.
Ok so the results for my second FNA is in and the doctor says I have three choices; redo the test for the third time, have it done in radiology, or wait three months and then repeat step one. I'm so confused at these results and choices. Anyway The FNA was inconclusive again.
You have to change something to get a different result, see if you can do a trial of thyroid hormone (ie, synthroid) and then do the follow up ultrasound after having been on meds, ---you are a bit low, though you need a free t3 to know for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post: sai90805 (02-28-2013)
I met with doctor to go over the results and together we have a solution to remove the thyroid altogether and do hormone therapy. He explained the results to me and removing it makes so much sense, besides all this FNA is really driving me nuts. turns out they did find cancer. Well I see the ENT on wednesday so I will have more on when the surgery is and whats next. Thanks for all the support.