It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

Deb1965 HB User
I am so scared, I am making myself sick....

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I was rubbing my neck and found a lump at the base of my throat. I made a Dr. appt and she was concerned about it too. She said it was my thyroid, and ordered blood work and an ultra sound. I have never had problems with my thyroid in the past. The blood results from my thyroid all came back normal. The ultra sound did not. Here is the report:

The right thyroid is enlarged measuring 2.6 x 2.8 x 4.8 cm. Located within the mid pole is a heterogeneous solid and cystic mass, which measures 2.2 x 2.4 x 3.2 cm. There is extreme hypervascularity surrounding this and anterior and slightly rightward of this, there is a more heterogeneous solid component, which measures about 2.4 x 1.5 x .06 cm. No right cervical lymphadenopathy identified. The left thyroid is homogeneous in echotexture and normal in size measuring 1.4 x 1 x 3.9 cm. There is a single oval hypocchoic nodule on the left, which measures about 5 mm in the lower pole. The isthmus in normal at 2 mm. My doctor is sending me to an ENT in 2 weeks to have a consultation. After looking all of these terms up, I know it's not good. I am just sick to my stomach with worry. I can't eat or sleep, and am having getting any work done. I can't believe I went from nothing wrong, to finding this lump! I guess I just need some reassurance that all is not lost. I am just so scared, I can't stop crying!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
(female)

Hheavenlyangel HB User
Re: I am so scared, I am making myself sick....

Hey Deb, Its going to be ok. Do you have someone you can talk to? Brother, sister, aunt, uncle, Parents? You will find that by sharing your concerns and talking it through, you will be able to cope a whole lot better. Don't go jumping ahead of yourself. The only thing I can really suggest for right now is take a few deep breaths through your nose, just in and out, feeling your body relax with every breath. Just in and out. You will be going to an ENT in 2 weeks, it will be sorted then. Acknowledge your thoughts and then say to yourself ok, that's enough worry about it today I need to get things done. Allow yourself half an hour a day to worry about it and then get on with your daily routine. Its going to be ok. You must eat and sleep, the body without nutrition or sleep will just make things worse for you. Beleive me, I Know. I have a panic disorder so I know exactly how you are feeling. Wishing I could give you a big hug and be there with you.

PS: I just looked up what Hypoechoic means and you're reading too much into it sweetie. Just relax. You are going to be ok

Last edited by Hheavenlyangel; 04-16-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: looked up meaning of Hypoechoic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hheavenlyangel For This Useful Post:
Deb1965 (04-16-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
(female)

debmc1958 HB User

I was in your shoes in December. I have a 5 cm x 5 cm x 3 cm nodule. I had two biopsies both of which came back benign. I will still probably have to have that side of my thyroid removed. Everyone told me not to jump ahead and I wish I had listened. If you google thyca, there's a lot of info there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debmc1958 For This Useful Post:
Deb1965 (04-25-2013), Hheavenlyangel (04-16-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

Deb1965 HB User
Unhappy Re: I am so scared, I am making myself sick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmc1958 View Post
I was in your shoes in December. I have a 5 cm x 5 cm x 3 cm nodule. I had two biopsies both of which came back benign. I will still probably have to have that side of my thyroid removed. Everyone told me not to jump ahead and I wish I had listened. If you google thyca, there's a lot of info there.
Deb, thanks for your response. My consultation with the ENT was moved up 5 days to the 24th. I am still so scared and worried, but I am trying to hold myself together. I have searched and searched the internet for info on thyroid disorders and cancer. It is overwhelming and daunting to say the least. I was curious, did you find the nodule yourself? Did it seem to appear out of nowhere? It seems I would have noticed it if it had been there for very long. I am so glad yours came back benign. I am praying hard that mine will be too. If it is benign, I will probably opt to have it removed anyway. I am self conscious about the lump on my neck. It is visible.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

Deb1965 HB User

Hi Deb! Just came back and read your post. I am glad your nodule was benign. I was just curious.....did you find the lump from your nodule? How were the ultrasound results? I finally have my biopsy scheduled for May 2nd, then have an appt to get the results on May 6th. I am still nervous and scared. I am trying to remain positive, but it is so difficult sometimes!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
(female)

Deb1965 HB User

I just wanted to come back on to let anyone who is looking for answers know that my mass is benign! Thank God! I will say, I now know that looking for answers on the internet can be a very bad thing. I had myself a mess waiting for results. Take a look at the characteristics of my thyroid mass. It had many markers of cancer, and I had myself convinced that I did indeed have cancer. I am going to get a second opinion to see if I should have it removed, even though it is benign. I just know when I was on here looking for answers, it seemed there was lots of questions posted, but not very many people telling what their outcome was. I just wanted to share. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
(female)

debmc1958 HB User

I'm very glad your nodule came back benign!

The Following User Says Thank You to debmc1958 For This Useful Post:
Deb1965 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
(female)

Deb1965 HB User

Thank you Deb!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
(female)

ives6797 HB User

Glad you got a good result!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
(female)

ives6797 HB User

I see your location says Stonington. If that is the one that's in CT, then you may want to check into the endocrine surgery dept at Yale-New Haven. That is where I am having my Total Thyroidectomy for Papillary cancer. Everyone there seems fantastic, very nice and very knowledgable. I had a horrible experience at a local (in your area) ENT first that missed my diagnosis, but don't want to name names publicly.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
(female)

Deb1965 HB User

Thank you for the information! But....I am in Illinois. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I am so glad you are getting the right treatment now!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
(female)

ives6797 HB User

Oooh ok. Thanks

Reply Reply