It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board

Hyperplasia scare is it cancer

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Scruffy60
(female)

Scruffy60 HB User
Hyperplasia scare is it cancer

I would love to hear from any of you that have had hyperplasia, it started out 5 years ago, I had simple hyperplasia and was treated with a hormone for 3 or 6 months, doctor did another biopsy and I was fine, so now I went to a new gynecologist for a regular visit, ( I'm 56 and am just going through the change), last year my cycles were about every other month or so, then in November of last year was my last period until May of this year so 5 months is the longest I've gone without a period, so this doctor said no this sounds like irregular bleeding,and with your history of hyperplasia I want a ultrasound then a biopsy, I did the ultrasound last week, and I haven't heard how everything looked but I was told by someone I know that it did show some thickening of the uterus 7 m or something like that, now my mind has me believing it is cancer, the biopsy isn't until next week. I'm crazy with worry!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Hyperplasia scare is it cancer

Uterine hyperplasia is thickening of the uterine endometrium. Yes, it can be a perfect set up uterine cancer, but hyperplasia, itself, is not cancer.

All you can do at this point is have the testing and get a copy of your results, do research and formulate questions for your doctor regarding treatment.

Please let us know the outcome.
q

Old 06-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

You haven't gone through menopause yet (no periods for a full year) so 7mm would not be considered "too thick." It's normal for the endometrium to get as thick as 16mm when still menstruating. Once you've gone a full year without a period and not taking HRT, they prefer the lining to be no more than 4 or 5mm.

I don't know what criteria they use to determine whether or not to do an endometrial biopsy. With your hyperplasia history, they may want to be extra cautious even though yours was the simple "variety". And of course without atypia is more easily cured than with atypia.

I hope this eases your mind a bit. Let us know what you find out. I agree that it's good to get a copy of your results (imaging and biopsy reports) and do your research to get the best care.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I had bleeding after 3 years of menopause with no bleeding
A scan showed a thick lining and polyp
I had both removed and biopsies were fine

Old 06-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Scruffy60
(female)

Scruffy60 HB User

Thank you for your replies, yes I was told by my doctors nurse, that she wants a biopsy no matter what the results of my ultrasound is, because of my history, so that is scheduled for this Thursday, I am feeling better today in my mind, after being at church, and realizing my peace comes from Him.
Thank you again

The following user gives a hug of support to Scruffy60:
rainbowsrock (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Scruffy60
(female)

Scruffy60 HB User

Update, a nurse from my doctors office called to tell me, no hyperplasia, but I have a polyp near my cervex, I'm not sure what this is all together, but I have an appointment on Thursday and she said the doctor may or may not remove it. Can anyone here ell me about polyps?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #7
Lilu14
(female)

Lilu14 HB User

I had a polyp removed just yesterday (yep, they do surgery on sundays). I also had two removed last year. Benign. No big deal. I am 48, so good to keep an we on them. Good luck. Try not to stress. And post back with results!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
Scruffy60
(female)

Scruffy60 HB User

Update.. got my results yesterday, biopsy was good! No cancer, and my gynecologist was not concerned about the polyp she says she will check it again next year on my yearly appointment with her. So all is good, Thank you for your responses it helped!

The following user gives a hug of support to Scruffy60:
rainbowsrock (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Definitely good news for you......i assume if the polyp size increases, it would be removed and tested.
Thanks for the update!

q

Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

So glad to hear it!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
MommaTeeTee
(female)

MommaTeeTee HB User

I recently had a uterine biopsy and then had a D&C and hyperscopy. Both showed no cancer but hyperplasia. My endometrium lining is very thick. I am 53. My doctor is really pushing for me to have a hysterectomy that i don't want to have. She has prescribed progesterone. So right now i will be taking that and them following up with another biopsy in 3 months.

How possible is it that the hyperplasia will turn to cancer? should i just go ahead with the hysterectomy?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaTeeTee - I understand your not wanting a hysterectomy. And there's a good chance it's overkill since the large majority of them are unnecessary. Have you gotten a copy of your pathology report from the D&C? Hyperplasia can oftentimes be cured with progestin therapy. The chances are better if it's "without atypia" versus "with atypia." There's some very helpful information out there. Unfortunately, we have to go in search of it to understand all our options and the risks and benefits of each.

I had an unnecessary hysterectomy 11 years ago and it has turned my life and health upside down.

Reply Reply