It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
(female)

islandgirl HB User
Thickened uterine lining

Does anyone here know if a thickened uterine lining is a definitely a sign of uterine cancer. I had an ultrasound done recently and it showed a thickened lining and a mass which my doctor thinks might be a polyp. I am terrified it might be cancer. I'm scheduled for a D&C. Please let me know. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to islandgirl:
vlrbsly (11-04-2011)
Old 02-07-2005, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User
Re: Thickened uterine lining

I sure hope not. I also have a thickened uterine lining. I had a biopsy done, haven't received the results yet. She said I have a lot of fibroids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
(female)

islandgirl HB User

Thanks for replying. I've had a fibroid for a few years now; it actually shrunk from 3 cm to 2cm. But now I've got this polyp thing going on too. I never really got a clear answer from my doctor as to why the lining is thickened though. I hope your results bring you good news.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

Thanks!

She said I have several large fibroids.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl
Does anyone here know if a thickened uterine lining is a definitely a sign of uterine cancer. I had an ultrasound done recently and it showed a thickened lining and a mass which my doctor thinks might be a polyp. I am terrified it might be cancer. I'm scheduled for a D&C. Please let me know. Thanks.
In a woman who is still fertile and able to have children, a thickened lining is usually just over active hormones. It is a pain in terms of cramps, bleeding and aggravation but not usually cancer. In a post menopausal woman, a thickend lining is a bit more of a problem simply because it is not normal for there to be any uterine changes going on if no eggs are supposed to be fertilized. The process still may be nothing more than over active hormones and can be addressed with medication. The D&C will allow for a biopsy to occur to settle any questions at all. Fibroids also can be a pain, but are usually not cancer. The difficulty is only to make sure that they are fibroids an not malignant tumors, which the doctor can determine by a good exam.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marimac For This Useful Post:
sweetcravining (09-30-2012)
Old 02-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Depending on your age, thickened endometrial lining can mean a number of things.
During my first ultrasound the tech discovered a large uterus, thick lining and a spot she thought could be a polyp. Since I am 53 (past the normal age for menopause)
and my cycles are still going strong, the doctor suggested another ultrasound after my next cycle. She thought the lining might be thick because I was mid-cycle, and that the polyp could possibly be a blood clot. After the second ultrasound, the lining was back to normal, no polyp detected. My uterus was still enlarged, and since the lining was thinner, the tech was able to see some fibroids. I am waiting for a call next week
after the doctor compares the ultrasounds to see where we go from here. Good luck with your D & C. I hope all goes well for you.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: Thickened uterine lining

I had a doctor tell me that if I suspected a thickened lining to take a high dose of Provera for 2 weeks then stop. Had a Big Period afterward, as predicted, and it thinned the lining. Worked for me.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:41 AM   #8
(female)

islandgirl HB User

Thank you so much for your responses. I'll post back with the results. God bless!

Old 02-15-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

The results of my biopsy were NEGATIVE!

The doctor gave me a three-month sample of birth control pills to control the bleeding. I had no problems with the pills 20 years ago. I hope I don't have bad side effects at my age. On the bright side, no hysterectomy needed!

Old 02-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Fantastic News!! I don't know your age , but heavy bleeding with big clots (sorry) is indicative of approaching menopause . I wasn't scared when I had them because my mother told me She had them around age 49/50. So I guess my daughters will have them too, eventually.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

Thank you.

I'm 43. I'm kind of nervous about starting BC pills at my age, but we'll see how it goes.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

At 43 you could most certainly be pre-menopausal. That doesn't mean you're in menopause! This menopause mess lasts for decades for many women.
First you're PRE then you have IT for 30 years. Seems like I was near your age when I started getting hot at night. hmm..can't remember. Then I got on Estrace and all was well again. Some women just sweat and change sheets all night.
No , thanks. (yawn)

Old 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

I read about women taking Ortho Tri Cyclen being depressed and having panic attacks, etc. I don't need any more mood swings.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:02 AM   #14
(female)

BonBe HB User

speaking from my own experience last year. I was post menopausal for 3 years (no periods) suddenly had a massive period, of course I went to get it checkd out had a trans vaginal ultra sound which showed the endometrial lining had thickened considerably (think it was 10cm?) I forget now, and would have to go back over this site to see however, regardless of the thickness I ended up having a D & C with hysteroscopy and all results were the BIG DELISH NEGATIVE

I too had large fibroid tumours in the uterous when younger (when I was still having periods) and when I hit menopause the tumours shrunk as they are 'fed on a blood supply' which as we know stops when we are in full menopause.

After the D & C I have had no re-occurances of periods the odd bit of cramping but that is all. Am not taking any HRT nor BC pills..... just trying to 'go with the flow' so to speak of hot flashes, and stuff. All easy for me to handle as not a reason for me to 'change' from who I am. Simply a way of
'changing from what was before, to what is now, to what will come' Well, I must keep a humour about me.

In some cases thick endometrial lining is of a concern, and having a biospy done is the way to go. I hope by now you have the results.

Bonnie

Old 02-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
(female)

fanofopera HB User

I'm happy I found this thread. I am having and D and C on the 9th because of a polyp and thickened lining. I'm 35 and have pcos. Bleed all the time basically. Can anybody tell me what to expect during the dand c? I have a choice of being put to sleep or just sedated. I'm thinking I want just sedation. Does it hurt etc?

Closed Thread