It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User
Cryotherapy, for the 2nd. time.....

Another board member suggested I posted here....Hopefully, someone can help me. In 4-07, I had a pap smear come back with abnormal cells, dr. said - mild dsyplasia. And scheduled me for cryotherapy, in his office a week later. Had it done, waited for 3 months (7-07), for him to do another pap and low and behold, still came back with abnormal cells. He wants to do cryo. again and then spoke of future treatments to be either laser surgery or a complete hysterectomy. I am 42yrs. old, had my tubes tied years ago and won't be having anymore children. I read around on the hpv board and they talk of LEEP, and cone-something treatments. I am just confused and I'm guessing the first cryo. didn't work. Please can anyone help me make sense out of this? Thank you for your time, -Ornament

Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
(female)

Stacey3568 HB User
Re: Cryotherapy, for the 2nd. time.....

I had cryotherapy approximately 15 years ago for mild displaysia. I have continued to have abnormal paps on and off since that time. In January my pap came back once again with abnormal cells so my doctor at the time performed a colposcopy. My follow-up Pap in June showed LGSIL, by this time I am with a new doctor, who recommended a LEEP. He explained to me that they are now finding that cryotherapy in fact can mask bad cells because after the procedure scar tissue forms and the bad cells can be deeper. Thus the reason for recommending the LEEP. I had the LEEP procedure done on July 24th and my biopsies showed CIN II and CIN III lesions on my cervix and in the cervical canal, all with bad cells to the margins. I am now scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on
September 7th, I am 39 with 3 children. There seem to be so many opinions out there on this issue. I just thought I would share what my doctor told me about the cryo. He turned out to be right.......my bad tissue was deeper.....keep me posted on what you decide.....and best of luck to you.......Stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
(male)

piperpilot HB User

Before you let him do another cryo, he needs to do a colposcopy and biopsy including endocervical curretage to make sure the canal is free of dysplastic cells, and to more accurately diagnose your condition. A PAP test, especially if you have had cryo before, is not likely to be adequate for determining the next course of action due to scar tissue as Stacey indicated. If you are seeing a GP, you should go to an OB/GYN for better care. What you are describing seems irresponsible, IMO.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

furtiva HB User

both Stacey and Piper are right. Get a second opinion, this doctor is not giving you much options. There should be an adequate diagnosis before determing the right treatment. That is very important even if he performs hysteroctomy, because you need to know the status of the pre-cancer cells in your body and how deep have they spread.

Oh, and I suggested to you to visit the Cervical and Ovarian board, below this one. It's full of stories from women going through similar experiences.

Last edited by furtiva; 08-14-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Closed Thread