It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
(female)

catscandance HB User
Radiation treatment for stage 1 B uterine cancer

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer last October, had a hysterectomy including the removal of the ovaries, fallopian tubes and the cervix in November. The pathology report stated the ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix were negative for cancer cells. My doctor wanted a second opinion on the course of treatment so referred me on to the cancer clinic in my area. I was told that the pathology report, although it indicates the cancer had not spread..the grade of the cells is 1 to 2. The cancer had invaded the lining of the uterus to half-way from the wall of the uterus and the tumor had involved 70% of the endomitrium. The oncologist said my case fell within a grey area because although the cancer is stage 1, the cells are grade 1 to 2 and involvement is half-way. He has suggested 2 options to me...I can have follow up appointments, every 3 months where I will be monitored or I can go ahead with radiation, a course of 25 treatments, beginning in March. My concern is the lymph nodes were not removed when the surgery was done and this is causing me to lean towards radiation.

I would be appreciative of any comments from anyone who has gone through radiation treatment. Or if anyone has any other suggestions.

Regards,
Cats

Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

catscandance HB User
Re: Radiation treatment for stage 1 B uterine cancer

Has anyone had radiation for uterine cancer? If so, what kind of side effects did you have and were any permanent. I have a decision to make very soon about treatment. Any help would be appreciated.

Cats

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

hickorybend HB User

I had stage 1 grade 3 uterine cancer 9 years ago with no lymph node involvement. Nonetheless, since the stage was 3--more aggressive, I chose to have radiation and had 64 treatments. Side effects were diarrhea and IBD which still occurs from time to time, but is tolerable and I certainly don't regret having the radiation, since I'm still here 9 years later.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

catscandance HB User

Hi Hickorybend,

Thank you for your reply. I have made up my mind to go ahead with radiation. My course of treatment will only be for 25 treatments, 5x a week for 5 weeks and treatment length 10 to 15 minutes per session. Side effects were what concerned me and although the doctor did take a long time to discuss them with me, I appreciate hearing from someone who has gone through it.

Thank you again.
Cats

Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
(female)

ryrich HB User

Good choice!!! I had stage IIB,grade 3 uterine cancer, and had hysterectomy, chemo, and radiation, both internal and external. Here I am 5 years later. Side affects of radiation have been diarreha- but meds for that. Good luck!!!

Closed Thread