It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

arizona 32 HB User
worried about having a biopsy...

I have already posted on this web site but I don't think people understand the question I am asking or maybe just don't have an answer. Anyways, I went to my family doctor a few months ago and had a regular ultrasound and then a vaginal one, my family doctor was concerned with the results because a had a cyst on my left ovary and my uterus was covered in fibroids, he recommended a second vag. ultrasound. The results this time were there were no cysts and my lining of the uterus was 18mm thick. I am a 32 year old mother of 2, my doctor said this is a good thing and not to worry because I am so young and cancer of the uterus at this age is rare. However, my great grandmother died of this type of cancer when she was young. I am going for a biopsy in a couple of weeks and am very nervous. I am wondering if anybody can offer me any insight into what I might expect and any other information about this, especially with me being so young there isn't that much information.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Re: worried about having a biopsy...

Arizona...Welcome to the boards! I had an endometrial biopsy (in the uterus) a few weeks ago. This is the same thing I think you're having done. It was done in the office, with no anesthesia or anything. It wasn't bad at all. He just inserted a speculum, and then pushed a little rod through the cervix and into the uterus. While in there, he looked around, and then he just pinched off a little piece for biopsy. I spotted a little for the next day or so, and I had some pain in that area in my pelvis for a couple days. It wasn't bad though. Let me ask you this...what time of the month did you have that 18mm measurement? (I mean what time during your cycle.) Like, right before your period, etc? Mine measured 16mm, but it was right before my period, so that's when it's supposed to be at its thickest. Don't worry at all about the test! My hubby sat in on mine for support, as I was SO nervous, but there was no need! It wasn't painful really or not even that uncomfortable. I'll be praying for you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I also just recently had one. One thing my doctor mentioned was that cancer of the uterus, even with thickened lining, is very rare. He told me its rate is something like 10%. You are wise to check it out though, especially since a family member had it. It is highly curable if discovered early. As for the biopsy itself, my experience was a bit different than the one of the PP. I too had DH there for support and squeezed the life out of his hand because to be honest with you, I thought it did hurt (very crampy). However it is over very fast. The whole thing was like two minutes long and the painful part was probably less than 30 seconds!

Let us know how it goes.

Nancy

Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

brandy78 HB User

I am going through the same thing right now and searching for answers my great grandmother died of uterine cancer and every woman on my moms side of the family has had female problems from cancer ,endometriosis, and fibroids . I had my first biopsy almost 2 weeks ago in the gyno office , cramped bad but it was over fast and only a light spotting that day from it .The hardest part for my is waiting on the results to come in .

Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

arizona 32 HB User

Okay, so I went to my Gyno today as scheduled. Now I am totally confused. I was scheduled for a endo. biopsy which he said I didn't need because my lining measurement (18mm) is totally normal for a girl my age (32). I tried to explain about my cramping and bleeding when I'm not on my cycle and he gave me 3 options. 1.. to go on birth control, 2. to take pain meds., and 3. to have a hysterectomy, which he said he wouldn't do because I'm too young. I understand that he is the doctor and must see things like this all the time and when I said that my family doctor was concerned he said that he was only a family doctor and obviously didn't know as much as him in this field of medicine. Okay, I agree my gyno does now more seeing that's his speciality, however I came out feeling worse than I went in. I thought about going for a second opinion. Does anybody have any advice on what I should do?

Last edited by arizona 32; 02-14-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

talenfraser HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
One thing my doctor mentioned was that cancer of the uterus, even with thickened lining, is very rare. He told me its rate is something like 10%.
Nancy
Not to worry any of you more than you are already worried, but uterine cancer is not that rare at all. It is expected that 1 out of 32 women will be diagnosed with endo or uterine cancer this year. To me, that is a fairly large number. The good news is that it is the most curable cancer that women can get. And avoidable! My doctor told me it is rare to see a thin in shape women being diagnosed these days. Since the doctor mentioned the possibility to me, I have done a TON of research. It is rare for those under the age of 55. However, if you are overweight your risk doubles and if you are obese your risk triples. The American population is getting fatter and fatter so the prevalence of this disease is going to greatly increase. I think if we are all better educated about this disease it could help a lot. This has been my wake up call. I have been over weight for the past 15 years and have not had much motivation to lose the weight. I hope it is not too little too late at this point. I want to see my children grow up and to hold my grandchildren someday. It sucks that I have to threatened with cancer to figure this all out.

Closed Thread