It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User
Ultrasound

I had another ultrasound done. This is what the 1st one (Jan) said:

Findings: The uterus measures 8.5 x 3.6 x 4.4 cm in dimension. The endometrial stripe measures 8.6 mm in thickness and is unremarkable in appearance. There is a mixed hyper and hypoechoic lesion within the ventral aspect of the uterine corpus measuring 1.3 x 1.3 x 1.4 cm in dimension most consistent with a submucosal leiomyoma. The right ovary measures 2.6 x 1.4 x 2.2 cm in dimension and contains an anechoic cyst measuring 2x 9 x 1.9 cm in dimension. The left ovary is not very well visualized. There is a left adnexal cyst meeasuring 3.6 x 3.9 x 3.5 cm in dimension. There is no evidence of free fluid within the cul-de-sac.

Impression:

1. Left adnexal cyst (3.9 cm in maximal dimension)
2. Submucosal leiomyoma (1.4 cm in greatest dimension)
3. Small anechoie right ovarian cyst

This is what the 2nd one (March) said:

Findings: The uterus measures 3.8 x 9.7 cm with bilayering endometrial thickness of 7mm. IUD noted in place centrally in the uterus. The small leiomyoma demonstrated on previous study anteriorly in the uterus is not as discretely identified on today's study but is vaguely suggested. Myometrium is generally heterogeneous which may be related to other poorly difined fibroids.

The right overy measures 1.6 x 1.7 x 3 cm and contains a 1.3 cm benign appearing cyst. Left overy measures 3.6 x 4.2 x 5.6 and contains a 2.5 x 3.4 c, cyst. This is perhaps a bit smaller than had been suggested on the previous study. Continued follow-up ultrasound in 6 weeks to insure this regresses or resolves.

A second 1/2 cm left ovarian cyst has since developed.

No free fluid in cul-de-sac.

Impression:

1. Two left ovarian cysts are now present. The dominant one measures up to 3.4 cm in size. It is minimally smaller than on previous study of 1/18/08 but continued follow-up ultrasound is requested as detailed above.

2. Uterine leiomyomatous disease suggested. IUD in uterus.

Does anyone know what this all means? What is Uterine leiomyomatous disease? How can my uterus and right overy be a lot smaller and left overy be bigger than last time? I'm nervous about this. Any suggestions on what it all means?

Thank You,

Bernice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: Ultrasound

Bernice,

Uterine leiomyoma's are beneign growths called fibroids. They are very common and generally nothing to worry about. They are fueled by estrogen, so at menopause, normally shrink.

I'm not sure about the changes in measurements re the uterus and ovaries.
I do know that ovarian cysts are also quite common and usually resolve with the next menstrual cycle or two.

Leea

Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Bernice,

You will have to discuss this report with your doctor in order to confirm what it says. I would not worry though. Leiomyomas are just uterine fibroids which are benign. Yours says it is submucosal meaning that it is contained partially inside the uterine wall. This is probably why the radiologist sometimes has trouble seeing it clearly with the ultrasound and suspects that there are more (ie. heterogeneous wall means it is "bumpy" I think so there are probably other less visible leimyomas or benign fibroids in your uterus). Ovarian cysts are common and come and go in ALL women every month. If the cysts are fluid filled and less than 5 cm they are just normal functional cysts that women get every month during ovulation and which go away by themselves over a few menstrual cycles. In order to minimize the number of cysts that are found on your ultrasound, go for your ultrasound during your period (I imagine you are going for an external ultrasound ? if it is internal then perhaps at the end of your period or just before you get your period). Your ovary will vary in size according to the size of the cysts that are contained in it. The report mentioned that the cysts changed in size but since cysts are contained within the ovary, this will change the size of the ovary as well). At any point in time any woman is almost guaranteed to have ovarian follicular cysts and this is normal. Your uterine lining will change thickness as well, all depending upon the time of your menstrual cycle at which you have the ultrasound. Just before your period your lining will be thicker than just after your period (after you have shed the lining). You might want to try going at the same time of your cycle in order to minimize differences as much as possible.

Anyway, discuss all of this with your doctor and verify what I have said (I am not a medical professional .. just someone with a large ovarian cyst who has had to do a lot of research as of late).

Take care.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User

Thank you for your reply. They do an external and an internal ultrasound. The reason for the ultrasound was because I was having long, heavy periods. I was still on my period (8th day but very light) when they did this ultrasound.. According to this report, it seems another cyst formed on my left overy. The fibroids is what's probably making my periods long, heavy and bright red.

What does "no free fluid in cul-de-sac" mean? It's not a function cyst because there's no fluid in it, right? What kind of cyst can it be? What is "Uterine leiomyomatous disease?

I"m about ready to say, give me a hyterectomy, even though I want to try to avoid that if I can but I'm frustrated with all this. Do you don't think I should worry about it? I'm a nervous wreak.

Bernice

Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Bernice,

It says on your report that the ovarian cyst is anechoic. This means that it is filled with fluid because the sound waves go through it and it appears black on the ultrasound. All signs therefore point to normal functional cysts and this is probably what your doctor will tell you. Yes you may have developed another cyst since your last ultrasound but cysts come and go all of the time in a woman's body. This is a normal part of her cycle .. you grow cysts and then one dominant follicle bursts and releases an egg into the fallopian tube. The others will regress until the beginning of your next cycle when they begin to grow again. Cysts begin to grow when you start your period and gradually regress from ovulation until the start of your period. Ovulation is around day 10-14 after your period starts and your period should be about 14 days after ovulation.

No fluid in the cul de sac region is good ! Sometimes women have fluid in their abdomen either from a burst cyst or from ascites (this last one is not so good to have). You don't have this so yay ! Leiomyomatous disease is simply having lots of fibroids which causes symptoms such as heavy bleeding. If the bleeding is tolerable and you are close to menopause, it is better to simply wait until menopause and the fibroids will shrink on their own. If you are having a lot of problems then you may consider other alternatives to a hysterectomy such as a procedure that "starves" the fibroids from their blood supply and shrinks them. This is a day procedure given with an epidural. Another alternative is surgery to remove only the fibroids but unfortunately not all surgeons are skilled in this (especially if the fibroids are submucosal) so many of them recommend a hysterectomy instead (much easier for them). Keep in mind that a hysterectomy can sometimes cause scar tissue to form and can take away support for the bladder (sometimes this causes the bladder to collapse and they have to insert a sort of belt inside in order to hold it up). Way too many doctors recommend hysterectomies without giving other options these days so I just wanted to make sure you know about those other options.

Best of luck at your doctor's and don't worry. Everything will be just fine.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User

Thank you again for your quick reply. I had a merina IUD inserted because of my long and heavy periods. My 1st period since I had the IUD inserted wasn't as heavy but it's longer (on 11th day) but very light. My doctor told me that after about 3 months I won't have any more periods.

I'm OK with having fibroids and even some cysts that goes away but when I read the report, I get nervous because I really don't know what I'm reading. LOL In the 2nd ultrasound, I think it's saying that the cyst on my left and right overy got a tiny bit smaller but another one formed on my left overy which now means I have 2 cysts on my left overy and 1 cyst on my right overy. Plus a lot of fibroids. Is that's what the 2nd ultrasound is basically saying? I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday to go over it with her.

If I can avoid a hystrectomy (sp), I will. I'm 44 years old and getting close to menopause. This IUD last about 5 years and my doctor said that I won't need another one because when this one comes out, I'll probably be starting menopause.

Bernice

Closed Thread