It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

Kate49 HB User
Post Menopausal Bleeding

Hi, It looks like there haven't been any posts on this for awhile. I'm 59 and have had some post menopausal bleeding, spotting of sorts. Scheduled for a pelvic ultra sound today, and I'm so scared. Is it possible for this to be something besides cancer? I've never been on estrogen therapy. My doctor is on vacation, I just feel like freaking out. Basically, I need to talk to someone and try to maintain a level of sanity. Please help!

Kate49

Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Post Menopausal Bleeding

Hi Kate - the other thread was getting so long I thought we should start a new one. Don't know if you read my post from the other day - I'm also 59 (just) and had irregular bleeding 4 years ago. I bled for a whole month before I called my doctor (primary care) who referred me to a gyn (my primary care had been doing my paps - and by the way a pap will not diagnose uterine cancer - only cervical). Anyway - long story short over the course of 18 months I had 2 D&Cs and numerous ultrasounds and biopsies. Two gyns and one oncol/gyn suggested a complete hysterectomy - I was all set to schedule it when my last gyn wanted me to go to another oncol/gyn. He was very well known - had been at Columbia Presbyterian in Manhattan - he said he did not think I needed a hysterectomy - just another D & C. Now I've been fine with no bleeding since Sept 2005.

To ease your mind - all bleeding does not mean cancer - but it always has to be checked out to make sure. An ultrasound is a good diagnostic tool. So how did the test go today? I'm assuming you are postmenopausal. Don't you just love it that just when you need your doctor he/she is out of town. I know they have a life but it is upsetting when you really need someone to talk to. Hope all went well. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. This doesn't seem to be a real active board.

Mary in NY

Last edited by RightFootMary; 03-24-2008 at 02:19 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to RightFootMary For This Useful Post:
kaelin (01-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

Kate49 HB User
Re: To Kate49 - Post Menopausal Bleeding

Hi Mary,
Thanks so much for answering my post. I just turned 59 too, what a great way to usher in a new year! My test went OK, I had a pelvic ultrasound and a vaginal something. I can't see my doctor until he gets back from vacation on April 1 to see the results of the test. It's encouraging that not all bleeding is cancer, but I've talked to some pessimistic people and that didn't help at all.
Yes, I'm post-menopausal, have been for several years. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, it's great to have this message board and people to talk to, I'm going crazy and driving my family crazy as well!
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on everything.
Kate49

Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Re: To Kate49 - Post Menopausal Bleeding

Hi Again Kate - BTW my BD is March 12th. Did you have any "issues" when you were going through menopause? The thing that bothered me the most was not sleeping!!! I'd go right to sleep but then I would wake every hour on the hour and be exhausted the next day - not great when you have to work!!! Is the doctor who ordered the ultrasound your regular medical doctor or a gyn? I know it's hard to find a good gyn - they all seem to be more concerned with their OB patients then their gyn (of course that is where the money is). Although the gyn I go to now (a man in his mid 40s) is good and was the only one to request a chest x-ray and an abdominal CT when I first went to him to make sure I didn't have any estrogen producing tumors that were causing my problem. It was definitely too much estrogen but I didn't fit the profile - I was not over weight, I had had children, however I was late going into menopause (55) which was the only factor that was bad.

Glad your test went well - I know waiting for the results is the worst part. Is bleeding still an issue? Feel free to ask any questions, and yes it is great to have a place to talk to others who have gone through the same thing. Families and friends mean well but if they haven't been there they can't understand.

Feel better.

Mary

Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
(female)

Kate49 HB User
Smile Re: To Kate49 - Pohttp://www.healthboards.com/boards/index.phpst Menopausal Bleeding

Hi Mary,
My birthday is March 8, so I guess I'm older!
Really is great to see your post this morning, I'm having such trouble just muddling through, I can't seem to get rid of the fear and dread that something is wrong. I used to think that finding a large spider in the kitchen was a nightmare, not any more! Anyway, you did go through a lot of tests. Did they ever tell you what caused the bleeding? If you didn't go through menopause till 55 perhaps that was the cause? My issues concerning menopause were, lots of heavy bleeding, hot flashes, and even having a little bleeding spot about a year after I thought it was over. I think it was somewhere in my early 50's that it finished. The bleeding now started on Friday morning, and ended on Friday morning. I had a little spot yesterday morning. So far that's all. Of course, I'm nervous which makes me have to go to the bathroom more, which causes me to have to check for bleeding all day, ugh! My gyn retired, so I'm calling today to make an appointment with a new one, I've basically been using my family doctor for the last few years, I did have a mammogram not to long ago, it turned out fine. I've got four kids, all delivered by C-Section. It turns out they discovered a fibroid tumor during one delivery, so I'm hoping my problem is fibroids. Thanks so much for writing to me, it's truly a life line to keep me from sinking. Hope you have a wonderful day!
Kate49

Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Re: Post Menopausal Bleeding

Hi Kate - how did you find your new gyn? Did your medical doctor recommend? That's how I found mine. I was first going to a young woman that he had recommended but she kept pushing for a hysterectomy so after a year I told my medical doctor I wanted the opinion of another gyn and that's how I got the one I have now. I think all my problems were just screwed up hormones due to menopause. I just had my annual check in Feb and everything was fine but I'm already thinking about what to ask/tell next Feb - like should I have another ultrasound since it then will be 5 years since my initial diagnosis.

Did you ever have a D & C when you were going through menopause? That really was nothing except they give you general anesthesia. With the first D&C (done by the woman gyn) she told me I had numerous (8-10) polyps which was one cause of my bleeding. I was "flooding" on numerous occasions. Thank goodness that all seems to be behind me now and I feel great.

Keep me posted and let me know when your gyn appt is.

Mary

PS - also nice to have an "almost" birthday twin. Happy Belated B-Day.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
(female)

Kate49 HB User
Smile Re: Post Menopausal Bleeding

Hi Mary,
My very best friend had to locate a new gyn (hers retired too), and she recommended him. I haven't seen him yet, but am told that he is friendly, kind, and actually takes time to answer your questions. That's so important in a doctor. I'm still having very scary times, my results of the test will be revealed on April 1 by my family doctor,(April Fools Day) ugh. I've not had any more bleeding, so that helps a bit. So, I see you live in New York, do you live in the city or the country? My only real taste of New York is watching House Hunters, the houses are so expensive compared to Ohio. But Ohio is in kind of a depressed economic state right now. I love to make felt crafts and would like to sell them on Etsy, what are your hobbies? Again, thanks for taking the time to write. Hope to hear from you soon!
Kathy

Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Kate - well I hope you like your new gyn as much as your friend. I'm one of the weird woman in that I actually prefer a male gyn. The young woman I had I found was way too aggressive for me. Of course most all doctors today are younger than me (LOL). Yeah I didn't want to mention that you were getting your results on April Fool's Day in case you didn't remember that - but stay positive and I'm sure things will be fine.

I live about 25 miles north of NYC but I'm a country girl. I've lived in this area all my life and the city still intimidates me. For hobbies I love to knit or crochet and I do gardening when the weather permits. Right now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of Spring - it is by far my most favorite season.

Do you have grandchildren? That's another thing I'm waiting for but neither of my children (son - 30 and daughter almost 26) don't seem to be in a hurry for serious relationships so I guess I will have to be patient in that area. I'm also still working full time (although I'm trying to "count down" to retirement - only about another 7 years!!!).

When is your gyn appt? Remember to get copies of all your test results and take them with you (or even fax them ahead of time so he had time to look them over - I did that both times I went to new doctors with my "issues").

Please keep "chatting" - I look forward to hearing from you.

Mary

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
(female)

Kate49 HB User
Smile Re: Post Menopausal Bleeding

Hi Mary,
I prefer a male gyn as well, I don't know why, but it's probably what I'm used to. Yes, it didn't escape me that my results are on April 1st, ugh, but I'll try to stay positive. My kids are really helping me and my husband, they all seem to be more positive thinking than me! I'm so looking forward to Spring, it's a wonderful season - Fall and Spring are my favorites.

Ah yes, the coveted grandchildren, my children are 29 through 23 and while they have relationships, no grandchildren for me, not yet. I'm going to totally spoil them when they arrive.

My husband and I own a small rental business and I'm ready to jump full force into crafting. I'm a retired school teacher, and have some ideas for fun teaching tools! Great to talk to you - hope to hear from you soon!
Kate

Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Kate - so what did your doctor have to say yesterday? I was thinking of you. When is your appointment with the new gyn. Please let me know - hope all is okay.

Mary in NY

Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
(female)

Kate49 HB User

Well, I have uterine hyperplasia, which is not great. I'm going in for a biopsy on Friday and needless to say I'm a bundle of nerves. Since I'm 59 I'll probably have a hysterectomy even if no cancer. I really don't plan on more kids! I hope all is well, I keep putting my self in a state of fear and it's driving me and my family crazy. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kate

Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Kate - I'm sorry to hear that you have to have a biopsy. I'm assuming your new gyn is doing it. As I've mentioned I've had numerous. It's not the most pleasant but it's not so bad. I've been told some doctors say to take Advil or some other pain killer an hour before you go and it helps. There is a little pinch and some mild cramping.

I've also learned alot about hyperplasia. There are all different kinds - simple, complex with and without atypia. Obviously simple without atypia (which was my first diagnosis) can be treated with medication. After the biopsy they will be able to give you a better idea of what has to be done. The waiting is absolutely the worst part. Even though I also am not having any more children I was not ready to jump into a hysterectomy, however if I ever had a problem again I would agree to the surgery.

Please keep me posted on how you are doing. I wish there was a way I could just e-mail you but I know there isn't. Please also know that I will be thinking of you.

Mary

Old 04-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User
Re: Senior, post menopausal bleeding

Hi....i never even have looked at this site before but i am 63
and after menopause started to spot and gyn said i could have a D&C or opt for HRT. I went for the HRT and the bleeding stopped. I was on it for five years maybe and then
started to bleed again and they took me off it since they felt
there was too much estrogen in my body and i was having
periods again. They wanted to a D&C and i refused so i had
during the next 3 years around 6 uterine bios which were not
fun but better than surgery.....finally they found a benign
polyp and after that there was NO more bleeding. I think
you are all playing with dynmaite to be on HRT for that length of time......you have a nice youthful look and skin is good since you have estrogen etc. in the body, but is the
trade of worth it ...worrying about cancer, heart disease and stroke....i do not think so ....i will just get older faster
but live longer....did not have to have any surgeries. Karen

Old 04-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Re: Senior, post menopausal bleeding

HI Karen - If you read the thread "post menopause bleeding" that I started "RightfootMary" you will see what happened to Kate49. The original post was so long and old I started another one.

Mary

Closed Thread