It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User
Ultrasound

Sorry this is long but I really need suggestions on what I should do. I had another ultrasound done. This is what the 1st one (Jan) said:

Findings: The uterus measures 8.5 x 3.6 x 4.4 cm in dimension. The endometrial stripe measures 8.6 mm in thickness and is unremarkable in appearance. There is a mixed hyper and hypoechoic lesion within the ventral aspect of the uterine corpus measuring 1.3 x 1.3 x 1.4 cm in dimension most consistent with a submucosal leiomyoma. The right ovary measures 2.6 x 1.4 x 2.2 cm in dimension and contains an anechoic cyst measuring 2x 9 x 1.9 cm in dimension. The left ovary is not very well visualized. There is a left adnexal cyst meeasuring 3.6 x 3.9 x 3.5 cm in dimension. There is no evidence of free fluid within the cul-de-sac.

Impression:

1. Left adnexal cyst (3.9 cm in maximal dimension)
2. Submucosal leiomyoma (1.4 cm in greatest dimension)
3. Small anechoie right ovarian cyst

This is what the 2nd one (March) said:

Findings: The uterus measures 3.8 x 9.7 cm with bilayering endometrial thickness of 7mm. IUD noted in place centrally in the uterus. The small leiomyoma demonstrated on previous study anteriorly in the uterus is not as discretely identified on today's study but is vaguely suggested. Myometrium is generally heterogeneous which may be related to other poorly difined fibroids.

The right overy measures 1.6 x 1.7 x 3 cm and contains a 1.3 cm benign appearing cyst. Left overy measures 3.6 x 4.2 x 5.6 and contains a 2.5 x 3.4 c, cyst. This is perhaps a bit smaller than had been suggested on the previous study. Continued follow-up ultrasound in 6 weeks to insure this regresses or resolves.

A second 1/2 cm left ovarian cyst has since developed.

No free fluid in cul-de-sac.

Impression:

1. Two left ovarian cysts are now present. The dominant one measures up to 3.4 cm in size. It is minimally smaller than on previous study of 1/18/08 but continued follow-up ultrasound is requested as detailed above.

2. Uterine leiomyomatous disease suggested. IUD in uterus.

This is what the 3rd one (May) said:

Findings: The uterus measures 8.8 x 4.7 x 5.5 cm in dimension. Within the uterine fundus in the interstitium of the myometrium there is a hyperechoic lesion which measures 1.1 x 1.2 cm in dimension consistent with a small interstitial leiomyoma. The endometrial stripe measures 9.7 mm in thickness. An intreuterine device is in position. The right ovary measures 3.4 x 1.9 x 1.5 cm in dimension. Several small anechoic follicular cysts are present within the right ovary. The left ovary measures 5.9 x 3.6 x 2.9 cm in dimension. Multiple anechoic cysts are present, the largest of which measures 3.7 cm in greatest dimension. All the cysts taken together measures 5.7 cm in aggregate length. Overall, the aggregate size of the left ovarian cyst is increased since the last examination. Left ovarian tissue is not well characterized on this study.

Impression:

1. Overall increase in the size of a grouping of cysts within the ovary which in aggregate now measures 5.7 cm in length.
2. Intrauterine device in position
3. Interstitial leiomyoma withing the uterine fundus.

I went to my doctor yesterday, she told me that there's nothing on the ultrasound to suggest cancer. She said but to be on the safe side, she did a blood test (I think CA 125). She said she doesn't think there's anything to worry about but she said since I'm a big worry wart (she said she never met anyone like me before, always worrying) that if I wanted her to, she would remove the ovary with the big cyst but she doesn't think it's medically necessary. I asked if she can do a full hysterectomy. She said if that's what you want, I'm willing to do that. Then I told her that I was never put under before and I don't know what it's like (something else to worry about). She said if she does the scope thing and takes out my one ovary, I would have to be put under. But with a hysterectomy, I can have a spinal. I would be awake but all drugged up to not know what's going on. I'm a nervous wreck. I'm worrying about the bloodwork. I have HPV and had abnormal cells once before. Another reason I want a hysterectomy. I want these cysts out of me but then again if I have a hysterectomy, menopause will soon follow and then there's all the hot flashes and night sweats and mood swings. I really don't know what to do. But the first thing is the bloodwork and hopefully if will come back normal and then I can decide what I want to do.

I had a complete blood count done recently (to check my Iron) and my red cells and white cells were normal. That's a good sign, isn't it? I mean if there was anything going on, my red cells or white cells would be off, right?

Thank You

Bernice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ultrasound

Hello Bernice,

Did you doctor tell you that women grow cysts on their ovaries every month ? At the beginning of your cycle you begin to grow cysts on your ovaries which contain eggs. At ovulation the cysts burst open and release an egg into the fallopian tube. Then they regress until after your period when they begin to grow again. At any point in time, a woman will have several cysts on her ovaries (only one dominant follicle bursts open to release an egg .. ie. the largest cyst). Try to go for your ultrasound when you are on your period as this is the time you are the least likely to see cysts on the ovaries. As for the leyomioma .. these are like fibroids but inside the uterine wall. They are also most often benign (75% of women have fibroids and many don't even know it). If the fibroids are causing a problem, there are many procedures you can do which do not require general anaesthesia (endometrial ablation, cutting off the blood supply to the fibroids until they shrink etc..). Keep in mind that fibroids shrink after menopause. Do a bit of reading on the topic before you decide to have everything taken out. Your ovaries and your uterus are useful to you even if you are done having children. It is now known that women who keep their ovaries until age 65 live longer than those who don't. And removal of the uterus can sometimes cause problems with the bladder due to a lack of support in that area. Look up all of the words used on the report and really know what the radiologist is saying before jumping to conclusions (for example adnexal just means ovarian .. and the aggregrate size just means when he adds all of the little cysts together so if this number is larger than last month's, it means absolutely nothing .. never heard of a radiologist who adds all of the cysts together to get an aggregate size !). Know what the real situation is before making a decision out of fear.

I have had an 8 cm simple cyst on my left ovary for about 10 months (that I know of .. it may have been there before) and have opted to simply keep an eye on it. Unless it changes or starts to grow, I will keep taking a look every once in a while to ensure that all is well. I have therefore chosen not to opt for surgery right away. Keep in mind that although keyhole surgery requires anaesthesia and a hysterectomy may not, the laparoscopy (keyhole surg) is a minor surgery compared to a full hysterectomy and has a quicker recovery time (about a week). Know all of your options, take your time and make a decision you will be happy with.

I wish you well.

Closed Thread