It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

ladyaqua HB User
Right sided pelvic / hip pain

Hello, I am new to the board and been having some worries. I am 38 years old and i've been having some gyn issues for a while now. I have always had irregular periods, with times of regular cylcles on and off. I also have had frequent urination esp. at night for some time now. I went to my Primary late last year because I thought I had a UTI (had extreme urge to pee, was going to bathroom every 5 minutes only to dribble but I didn't have burning). I had a pain in my right side near groin and hip area. My doctor found no evidence of a UTI but she gave me antibiotics anyway. They did not seem to help right away but eventually the symptoms went away.
I returned to the doctor 2 months later because I just didn't feel well. I told her the pelvic/hip pain was getting worse, I always feel bloated (kind of feel like I always have to move my bowels even when I don't have to). My doctor was concerned about my irregular periods which had become even more irregular (frequent bleeding, sometimes bleed after sex, brown discharge out of the blue). She sent me for a Ultrasound which revealed a "suspicious thickened Uterine lining", and I think she said cystic looking. My ovaries she said looked good. I am confused about this pain I am having in my hip area which is getting worse and I have the UTI symptoms on and off. I thought if there was anything wrong it would surely be an ovarian problem. I have an endometrial biopsy sheduled in a week and I am nervous but realize there are many harmless reasons that could be causing all this. Has anyone had any problems such as pain in the groin / hip area that wasn't related to the ovaries?
Any input would be helpful...thanx!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

djoyv HB User
Re: Right sided pelvic / hip pain

I am going through a similar pain, only on the left side. But my pain is definitely the ovary. I wasn't certain for quite awhile, but once I went in for a pelvic exam to the gyno and he felt the left ovary, I went through the roof in pain. The pain refers to my hip and down my leg, all the way to my calf. It started around the 23rd of last month, my periods have been irregular since feb. I have become hugely bloated in the last 3 weeks, my kids really think I'm pregnant. I'm not. My ultrasound showed both my ovaries and uterine wall looked fine, but my gyno believes the problem is definitely gynocological.
I've just come from a pelvis & abdomen ct scan. Hope to have the results Monday. Until then, I rest with pillows between my legs, use the heating pad and take pain pills.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

ladyaqua HB User

I hope everything works out for you and you can find the reason for your pain It's horrible having pain and not knowing what is causing it. I was convinced I had an ovarian cyst or something because of the pain in that area and the bloating.. but the only abnormality they found was with my uterus. I also had concern because my aunt died of ovarian cancer. I will probably look back and laugh when I find out it is gas or something..he he...year long episode of gas! Biopsy in 1 week...time seems to slow down when you are having tests.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Ladyaqua,

Do you know how thick your uterine lining is ? Is it thicker than 1 cm ? If so, the usual thing is to have a D & C and then send the tissue to pathology for inspection. The endometrial biopsy will, however be useful to ensure that the tissue cells in your uterus are normal. Keep in mind that you have to wait a bit for the results of this test. I remember having to wait for mine and I think this is the hardest part. The pain you are experiencing may very well be due to your uterus. I experienced endometrial atrophy due to long term birth control use and my uterus was so fragile that it was bleeding mid cycle. I also had bloating, pain and weird pulling sensations inside my pelvic region. Once I went off the pill, my endometrium went back to normal and the pains magically disappeared.

Previous to all of this I also had left groin pain and a pain in my lower back but I think that this was an unrelated hip / back issue as this went away before I started to experience the uterine problems.

I know how unexplained pain in the pelvic region can freak one out when you don't know what is causing it. Be confident, however, that it is something that can and will be fixed. I know, easier said than done, right ?

Hang in there and you will have your answer and a plan of action soon.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

ladyaqua HB User

Hi Estria, I don't remember what my Doctor said the thickness was. She read the report to me and of course it's all medical lingo so I was just trying to grasp what I could. I just remember her saying it was abnormally thick and cystic and something about no visible stalks. I now wish I had asked for a copy of the report... but maybe it's a good thing that I don't have a copy, otherwise I would be reading into everything it says!
Whatever this is I just hope it can be fixed, I was up until 3:30am last night going to bathroom every ten minutes.
Thanks so much for the encouragement

Old 06-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
(female)

djoyv HB User

I honestly don't know what's involved with a uterine biopsy, but as they're going in, couldn't they do an ovarian biopsy as well? Urinary frequency, gas, bloating, pain are all ovarian cancer symptoms. I was reading on another board of a young woman, 34, whose ultrasound was clear...CT was clear, but when they went in for laparoscopoy found ovarian cancer.

Get them to cover all the bases!

Best~

d.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello ladies,

Oh how I wish that it was that easy to have an ovarian biopsy. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. An endometrial biopsy involves a very simple procedure that is done often in the doctor's office (mine was). The doctor opens the cervix and inserts a sort of "straw" into the uterus. Then he or she literally twirls the straw around in there and sucks out endometrial tissue from the uterus. The only thing that I found uncomfortable is when the doctor clamped my cervix in order to keep it open. This feels like a sharp needle but the procedure is very quick (maybe 5 minutes max) so it is not so bad. Also, in my case, my cervix was rather firm due to the fact that I have never given birth. If you are a mother, it is less uncomfortable as the cervix is more maleable. Once the sample is sucked out, the doctor cuts off the end of the straw, fixes it (ie. sprays it with something) and puts it into a container for pathology. My sample took about 3 weeks for the results but our system is notoriously slow over here. In my case, my lining was so thin that they got very few tissue cells (these were normal but there were not enough of them to make a definitive diagnosis). In your case, they will have no problem getting enough cells because your lining is thick. If a woman's lining is thick and she is spotting and irregular, the normal approach is to do a D & C in order to remove the excess thickness (a simple day procedure). With most women this works and they have no more problems (my own mother had this done).

BY THE WAY, TAKE A COUPLE OF ADVIL ONE HOUR BEFORE HAVING THE BIOPSY DONE AND YOU WILL HAVE NO CRAMPING. Doctor's often neglect to tell you this (mine did but I read about the procedure beforehand) and the woman may experience some cramping after the procedure. You may also experience spotting (which I did) and this is completely normal.

As for the ovary. The only way to biopsy a cyst or ovary, is to perform a laparoscopy, which is a minor surgery done under general anaesthesia. It is not as simple as an endometrial biopsy. The ovary cannot be reached from the uterus (it is outside and connected by the fallopian tubes).

I would still try to get a copy of the results so that you know what you are dealing with. It sounds like your uterine lining is thick, which will require a D & C if it does not resolve by itself. Also, there are cysts somewhere and the lack of a stalk simply means that the cyst is not attached by a stalk. You may have a cyst that is attached to the outside of the uterus which is directly attached .. sometimes these things hang from a stalk (ie. like a piece of fruit on a tree). You need to look at the report and find out how many cystic structures you are dealing with, their size and if they are simple or complex meaning if they filled with fluid only, solid or a little of both. Fluid filled structures are less of a concern, solid tumours or complex cysts, depending upon how they appear on an ultrasound, may require biopsies. Sometimes they are simple blood filled totally benign things and a lot of the time, even solid tumours end up being benign (but a biopsy is necessary to confirm this). Get a copy of that report so that you know. It is your body and you have a right to be an active participant in your own healthcare.

Your symptoms are not necessarily those of ovarian cancer .. they are also of ovarian cysts or if you have a cyst on your uterus that is pressing on your bladder, this would certainly explain your problem of having to urinate frequently. Your irregular periods etc.. are obviously due to your thickened lining. Although you should ensure that ovarian cancer is not an issue (ask your doctor about possibly having a CA-125 blood test done) you should also keep in mind that it is a very rare disease (approx one in eighty women I believe) and if you have ever been on oral contraceptives for five years or more, your risks are cut in half. Cysts are extremely common in women of our age group .. ovarian cancer is statistically more likely in post menopausal women (more so over age 60) and women with a family history of ovarian and / or breast cancer (or those with the BRCA1 and 2 gene). I certainly agree, however, that it is better to check it out and put your mind at ease. This is always better.

All the best and come back and let us know how you are doing.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
(female)

ladyaqua HB User

I had my Endometrial Biopsy this morning and I have to say it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was a little afraid after reading some of the horror stories on the web . Although it was painful and unpleasant (took my breath away) it happened so quickly I didn't have too much time to think about it. Now I feel like I am having a period with heavy cramping which is not so bad because I feel like that most of the time anyway I guess now all I can do is wait....more waiting...aaaarrrgggh!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #9
(female)

Andi06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by estria View Post
Hello ladies,

Oh how I wish that it was that easy to have an ovarian biopsy. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. An endometrial biopsy involves a very simple procedure that is done often in the doctor's office (mine was). The doctor opens the cervix and inserts a sort of "straw" into the uterus. Then he or she literally twirls the straw around in there and sucks out endometrial tissue from the uterus. The only thing that I found uncomfortable is when the doctor clamped my cervix in order to keep it open. This feels like a sharp needle but the procedure is very quick (maybe 5 minutes max) so it is not so bad. Also, in my case, my cervix was rather firm due to the fact that I have never given birth. If you are a mother, it is less uncomfortable as the cervix is more maleable. Once the sample is sucked out, the doctor cuts off the end of the straw, fixes it (ie. sprays it with something) and puts it into a container for pathology. My sample took about 3 weeks for the results but our system is notoriously slow over here. In my case, my lining was so thin that they got very few tissue cells (these were normal but there were not enough of them to make a definitive diagnosis). In your case, they will have no problem getting enough cells because your lining is thick. If a woman's lining is thick and she is spotting and irregular, the normal approach is to do a D & C in order to remove the excess thickness (a simple day procedure). With most women this works and they have no more problems (my own mother had this done).

BY THE WAY, TAKE A COUPLE OF ADVIL ONE HOUR BEFORE HAVING THE BIOPSY DONE AND YOU WILL HAVE NO CRAMPING. Doctor's often neglect to tell you this (mine did but I read about the procedure beforehand) and the woman may experience some cramping after the procedure. You may also experience spotting (which I did) and this is completely normal.

As for the ovary. The only way to biopsy a cyst or ovary, is to perform a laparoscopy, which is a minor surgery done under general anaesthesia. It is not as simple as an endometrial biopsy. The ovary cannot be reached from the uterus (it is outside and connected by the fallopian tubes).

I would still try to get a copy of the results so that you know what you are dealing with. It sounds like your uterine lining is thick, which will require a D & C if it does not resolve by itself. Also, there are cysts somewhere and the lack of a stalk simply means that the cyst is not attached by a stalk. You may have a cyst that is attached to the outside of the uterus which is directly attached .. sometimes these things hang from a stalk (ie. like a piece of fruit on a tree). You need to look at the report and find out how many cystic structures you are dealing with, their size and if they are simple or complex meaning if they filled with fluid only, solid or a little of both. Fluid filled structures are less of a concern, solid tumours or complex cysts, depending upon how they appear on an ultrasound, may require biopsies. Sometimes they are simple blood filled totally benign things and a lot of the time, even solid tumours end up being benign (but a biopsy is necessary to confirm this). Get a copy of that report so that you know. It is your body and you have a right to be an active participant in your own healthcare.

Your symptoms are not necessarily those of ovarian cancer .. they are also of ovarian cysts or if you have a cyst on your uterus that is pressing on your bladder, this would certainly explain your problem of having to urinate frequently. Your irregular periods etc.. are obviously due to your thickened lining. Although you should ensure that ovarian cancer is not an issue (ask your doctor about possibly having a CA-125 blood test done) you should also keep in mind that it is a very rare disease (approx one in eighty women I believe) and if you have ever been on oral contraceptives for five years or more, your risks are cut in half. Cysts are extremely common in women of our age group .. ovarian cancer is statistically more likely in post menopausal women (more so over age 60) and women with a family history of ovarian and / or breast cancer (or those with the BRCA1 and 2 gene). I certainly agree, however, that it is better to check it out and put your mind at ease. This is always better.

All the best and come back and let us know how you are doing.
Are you referring to a colposcopy? I am not sure if I spelled that right, all I know is if they ever want to do another one of those they will have to knock me out I won't put myself thru that kind of agony, I believe my gyno told me now they do it as an outpatient procedure, Most likely by D&C but every doctor is different in how they do their procedures. I don't mean to scare anyone but Its the biopsy removal that hurts especially when they clamp down on it. I had the worst cramping ever. I couldn't stand up after the test they had to wheel me out I was crying the entire appointment and the doctor looked at me like I was a wimp. This coming from a male, I was twenty at the time I am now 35 so things are a little different with this test I hope.

Good luck with the procedure..hope its painfree.

Closed Thread