It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Endometrial biopsy

I am 50 years old and have yet to hit menopause. I get my regular periods. The doctor wants me to have a endometrial biopsy because an ultrasound showed my endometrial stripe to be 11mm. ( I had an ultrasound in 2007 for irregular bleeding caused by being pre-menopausal. My endometrial stripe was 12mm. The doctor repeated the ultrasound this month and the endometrial stripe was 11mm) Why he did not do an ultrasound in 2007 when my stripe was thicker, I do not know.

So my question is has anyone (pre-menopausal) have their lining thick like this and it turned out to be nothing? Did it turn out to be something? Also, how is the biopsy? Is it painful? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
(female)

ladyaqua HB User
Re: Endometrial biopsy

Hi Belle, I am 38 years old and recently went through what you are describing. I had an ultrasound done due to pelvic pain and irregular periods. I was told my uterine lining was thick and cystic and I needed to have a biopsy. I don't remember what they said the thickness was but i guess it was enough for my doctor to be concerned. My results came back normal which of course was a huge relief but at the same time I am left with the abnormal periods and pelvic pain. The gynecologist that I went to for all this has referred me to a urologist (I am having urinary issues too). I don't know if you have had the Biopsy already but if you havent I can tell you that it wasn't too bad. I won't lie... it was very painful but it was also very quick. I've heard some women say they didn't feel much pain (lucky them!). Good luck to you and I hope you get good news!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
(female)

Anita Porpoise HB User

Hi Belle
I'm 54 and last year I went through similar. The biopsy was too uncomfortable, so he prescribed me vicodin and valium....I think, all I remember is that it was one pill each of two different drugs. I had the biopsy with no pain or problem.
In my case I was positive for Endometrium cancer. A friend had a jerk doctor that made the comment that if you had to get cancer, that would be the one that you want. And actually there is some truth in that. Caught early it is confined to the Uterus and once it is removed, so is the cancer.

I'm not knowledgeable in cancer cells. But the biopsy showed agressive cancer cells......but after surgery, the pathology did NOT find those type of cells. Hmmmmm? Its been a year since surgery and I feel fine, but I did all along. I Stage at II and so they recommended radiation, but I opted out and they respected my descision.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi Belle,
I am having the same issues, just turning 50 tomirrow, and I had my yearly exam and sonogram today. My endometrial stripe was 12mm also, and I also have another ovarian cyst. I've had both of these situations in the past. I've had two endometrial biopsy's and both were normal - even though my stripe was thickened. So here I go again - having another biopsy in September.

I am still pre-menopausal - I am actually due to get my period anytime - which is why I think it was thick - but it may not actually come this month, as I have been skipping around alot.
The biopsy is uncomfortable, but over very quickly. I usually take a motrin afterwards. She acutally told me to take one the night before and in the morning before the appointment - well this is my third time - I never was told before to take it the night before - just went in cold turkey - and it still wasn't that bad. I am able to go to work right after the appointment.
Most likely everything will be fine, I thind Dr's now a days like to make sure, because you never know what can come up.

Mary

Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I had the biopsy and yes it was uncomfortable, but over fast. Now I have to wait for the results. The doctor said that if I hear from him it is bad news. So I hope he does not call!

Mary, good luck on your upcoming biopsy. I hope you continue to get normal results!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
(female)

pamg6 HB User

I had this same biopsy because my endometrium was also thick....I do not know the mm's though. My doc is pushing fo me to have some kind of scraping to end my monthly bleeding. I am 47 (almost 48) and have been pretty regular, until this month I am about 3-7 days late!! I don't know how I feel about this scraping, you wonder if it is better to let "nature do it's thing", but then on the other hand, I have heard it is best to not bleed for the benefit of the uterus? Anyway, I read in a book, that the thickening can be caused by low progesterone. I did do a saliva test to see my levels of Progesterone, estragen and Testosterone....and low and behold I was very low on Progesterone and slightly low on testosterone. My estrogen was normal. I took the results in to my doc and was willing to compound a progesterone and testosterone for me. It is a liquid and I put 1ml under my tongue 1x per day. I would be curious to now do another vag ultrasound to see what my endometrium looks like now!!!!

Pam

Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Pam,

You are correct about the low progesterone. Last year I was on Provera for low progesterone. I was so low, that my bleeding did not want to stop. The Provera (a synthetic progesterone), helped with the bleeding. I then went off it, and have not had the bleeding problem since. I am getting my period about every 2-3 months.
I think what's happening to me, is I have still have eneough estrogen to cause the lining to build up, but I'm not bleeding every month, so it doesn't thin out.
I guess when we are finally through this peri-cycle, and into full blown menopause, the estrogen stops and we no longer have a period and no longer have much of a endometrium lining any more. (unless we take HRT supplemts - which I am hoping to avoid.).
If your on progesterone, I'll bet your lining is no longer thickened - mine wasn't when I was on it - I'm just trying to not take anything unless I really need it. My GYN agrees with this practice.

Mary

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Thanks Mary,

I plan on asking my OB-GYN if he will do another VU and see. He was not a proponet of the Progesterone compound, he tends to only think within the box, so to speak. I am a new pt with him, I went to his partner before, and he was much more in tune with this kind of thing....unfortunately he moved about 4 hours away!!!! So I had my other doc check over my results and then he was willing to do the compounding!!

Pam

Closed Thread