It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

bimbi48 HB User
thick lining of uterus

I had a sonogram done to check my ovaries and the doctor told me that my lining in the uterus is thick and wants to do a endometrial biopsy. I do not have any symptoms such as bleeding or cramps or any other symptoms that I read which are associated with endomitriies. I am 60 years old and have not had my period for over 7 years.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

bj08 HB User
Re: thick lining of uterus

I went in and had my pap and mentioned even though I had been through menopause that I had had some minor bleeding and they did an endo.biopsy and when they got the report back they told me to get a D&C. When I went for the D&C they told me my uterus lining was too thick (several yrs. prior diagnosed with endomitriosis)and this was to check for cancer and when that report came back they said I had endometrial cancer-and would have to have a total abdominal hysterectomy which I did. When they do a total abd.hysterectomy it also checks the lymph nodes and they remove them in the abdomen as well. I'm glad I had it done and now am cancer free.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hi ladies....

Ugh, after reading your post I am getting extremely nervous. I am 47 years of age. I went to my gyno doc after having a long episode of bleeding. Had blood work done and pelvic and vaginal ultrasound. Had a biopsy as well. Uponthe pelvic exam, she told me the lining was too thick also. All the blood work came back ok. No problems with hormones, no throid problem ect. Not even close to menopause as of yet. The ultrasound showed 2 fibroids. they are smal and she doesnt feel this is causing the problem because they are small fibroids. Found cyst on ovaries as well. The ultrasound also showed the lining to be 2 times the thickness it should be. The biopsy came back ok. I am still wondering about this. Could there still be pre-cancer or cancer cells in my uterus? maybe the biopsy didnot get enough cells? I am scheduled to have a endometrial ablation and a hysterscopy done on sept. 23. I am getting nervous....Any insight?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Hi Lynne1961

I too am 47 and had a Endo biopsy due to thickening of the Endometrium, all came back clear. My doc wants me to have the Ablation procedure done, but I have mixed feelings about it. I did harmone testing in the office through blood work, and it said all levels fine. I then did saliva harmone testing on my own and it came back that my Progesterone levels are very low, almost making me Estrogen dominate. To my understanding this can cause thickening of the Endometrium. I took the reports into my headache doc and he put me on Progesterone. My OB doesn't tend to "believe" in these kinds of tests. Anyway, I plan to ask my OB if I can have one more TransVaginal Ultrasound before I make my decsion. I would like to see if the Progesterone therapy has caused any shrinking. Please keep me posted on your procedure and how you do with it....I am also in Missouri, St. Louis to be exact!!!
Pam

Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hiya Pam.....

Is your doc suggesting a hystercopy test done too? My doctor says the majority of the time <with all else coming back ok> it is polyps for the cause. My doc is doing the hysterscopy first and said if anything looks abnormal they would biopsy it right then. I am getting nervous about all this. I donot mind having the ablation done. I am just hoping it is polyps. Another question I have for my doctor <which I see her next friday for a pre op visit> is.....having found fibroids in my uterus, is this ablation going to get rid of those? or.....am I facing this bleeding issue down the road due to these fibroids growing? Sheesh...can;t win for losing it seems. She also informed that, 50% of women end up having a hysterectomy down the road. She did not say why but she did tell me that. I guess this is a shot of fixing the issue before going through a hysterectomy. I took progesterone <sp> before the ultrasound.....I guess it didn't make a difference. I am just ready to get straightened out....Let me know how you do as well......take care!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
(female)

bj08 HB User

I just wanted to say that I had dx. of endometriosis for years and had so much abdominal pain that after I had the hysterectomy that it was such a relief. It made a tremendous difference in how much better I felt! I wanted to point out that I had a too thick lining to my uterus and they told me before surgery that I had endometrial cancer and after the surgery they said it was a severe case of hyperplasia-which is an overgrowth of tissue I guess. I wish I could have had my hysterectomy years earlier though.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hiya bj08,

Did your doctor do a biospy to determine cancer? I had a biospy and it came back ok. What symptoms did you have? And hyperplasia was found.....that is pre-cancer cells correct? Did that show up on biospy? I have never been diagnosed as having endometrios. I just recently started having bleeding issues. That is what lead me to the doctor. I am scheduled for an ablation sept. 23. I am a little nervous as to what will be found during the hystercope. Hoping it is just polyp's. I do have 2 small fibroids but my doc doesnot feel that is the cause of the problem. She said the lining is about 2 times the thickness it should be.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
(female)

Reba73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1961 View Post
Hiya bj08,

Did your doctor do a biospy to determine cancer? I had a biospy and it came back ok. What symptoms did you have? And hyperplasia was found.....that is pre-cancer cells correct? Did that show up on biospy? I have never been diagnosed as having endometrios. I just recently started having bleeding issues. That is what lead me to the doctor. I am scheduled for an ablation sept. 23. I am a little nervous as to what will be found during the hystercope. Hoping it is just polyp's. I do have 2 small fibroids but my doc doesnot feel that is the cause of the problem. She said the lining is about 2 times the thickness it should be.
Hi Lynn - I'm curious as to what you found out. I just turned 53 and am having abnormal bleeding, didn't have a period for 4 months and now it's almost continuous. Doctor wants to do a D&C. I also have 2 fibroids. Did the ablation go okay? Thanks. Becky

Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hiya Reba..........

The ablation was re scheduled due to waiting on some test results. I am scheduled to have it done oct. 16. When i saw my doc for the pre-op visit, she did tell me the abalation would not get rid of the fibroids. She also told me 30% of women go on to a hysterectomy later....UGHHHHHH I am not sure what is the cause of the thickened lining for myself. She feels that maybe there is polyp's in the ueterus that may be causing it. Everything else checked out ok as far as hormones ect. So....I will have a hysterscopy and d&c and abalation done on the 16th of this month. She also told me if she see's anything abnormal it would be biopsied <sp?> right then. It is a lil scary ack I'll let you know how it all ends up.....

Lynn

Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Hi Lynn,

Please let us know how it goes for you. My doc wants me to schedule a Hysterscopy and ablation do to heavy periods and thickening of the endometrium. I did have a biopsy of the endo and it came back fine. I am a little nervous to have the other procedures done.

Pam

Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
(female)

Reba73 HB User

Thanks Lynn for your quick reply. I'm nervous. I guess I should go ahead and schedule the D&C to see if I have cancer, that word is so scary to say or look at. Becky

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

You are welcome Reba.........I know you must be scared as I am, too. Did you have a biopsy done? I did have a biopsy and it came back ok....but seems I read somewhere that the biopsy is done from a couple of snips of the endometrial lining and maybe the snips the docs get doesn't necessarily get the area <of cancer cells>? Maybe I am just a worry wart? LOL I will be glad to get this behind me and NOT have a period anymore <hopefully> The ablation is supposed to make it to where you donot have anymore periods but I think some women have a light 1. I have been bleeding lots too. Did your doctor mention an ablation to you?

Take care and hang in there,
LYNN

Old 10-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
(female)

Reba73 HB User

Hi Lynn - My doctor hasn't mentioned an ablation to me yet, I guess we will see what happens after I have the D&C. But I have heard it is a good surgery to have, sure better than a hysterectomy. When I was 50 three years ago I had fibroids and cysts and had a laprectomy (outpatient). I am one of these lucky women that never had problems with periods, they were regular, not heavy, no cramps for years so I guess I shouldn't complain. I am like you, ready to not have periods anymore. My mom is 80 and quit she said around 50 or 51. Take Care Lynn. Becky

Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hi ladies..........

Just wanted to let you all know how the precedure went for me today. I had a hysterscopy, D & C and endometrial ablataion. My doc did the novasure ablation. The surgery itself didnot take but about 45 minutes. My doctor didnot find anything abnormal, so that was a very good thing. I was knocked out but not under heavy anethesia which I was happy about as well. Takes so long to recover and start feeling yourself when put under heavy anesthisia.I was not in lots of pain right after I woke up. I started feeling a bit crampy about an hour after I was awake. The nurse gave me pain medication before I left to go home. I will tell you ladies, I was under the impression that I would not be in much pain at all. WELL..........LOL that was not the case after I got home. I was in bad crampy pain. I did finally get the pain in control with the help of my mother HA and pain medication and I am using a heating pad. Tonight, I am not hurting near as bad, i just feel blah. I am bleeding a little bit, nothing too bad. I will let you all know how I feel when i wake up tomorrow. I am thinking I will have a much better day tomorrow,,,,,HOPEFULLY HA

Lynn

Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
(female)

Reba73 HB User

Hi Lynne - I'm glad that they didn't find anything unusual. Keep us posted on how you feel. I scheduled my D&C for November 11. The surgery is at 7 a.m. and we have to be there at 6 a.m. (Yikes, I am a night person - HA). I started on some new thyroid medication a week ago and haven't bled since so maybe that was why I had the bleeding.

Do you work outside the home? If so, did the doctor tell you when you can go back to work? Just curious. Becky

Closed Thread