It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

Brenlee HB User
Post Meno Bleeding - Please Input!

I know many older posts have discussed this issue. I've done a lot of internet research, which of course in itself can be quite scary. My history: 53year old woman, post meno. I have not been on HRT for 5 years I had a d & c and hysteroscopy for suspicious cervical tissue 2 years ago.. My doc said he got it all and nothing to worry about - all benign. Last year's pap came back clean. I realize the pap will not pick up uterine cancer. To complicate matters, my new insurance will not cover anything having to do with cervical issues - dignostic or othewise for another year equating to 3 clear paps.

Now current: I started bleeding after 3 years of no periods last Friday. I called my GYN's office and he's backed up for 7 weeks. I asked to speak to one of his PA's or a nurse. She said they wanted to see me Monday (tomorrow) and that while the doctor couldn't see me, they would have the PA start the process to check things out. This is what I wanted.. at least getting the process started. If it is something serious I'm sure I'll move up on their priority list or be referred to a oncology gyn.

Can anyone share their experiences with post menopause bleeding and the outcome? I'd love to hear real life experience rather than the same 'ole (much of which is contradictory) on informational websites. Any responses from those who had cancers or a benign situation beginning with post meno bleeding and not taking hormones would be a god send. I need to talk to someone about this. It's a lonely situation as I don't want to worry family prematurely. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
(female)

grattenbury HB User
Re: Post Meno Bleeding - Please Input!

Hi
I had a slight bleed two years after having no periods. I am 53 this year. I had an vaginal ultra sound where they found and ovarian cyst on each ovary. I had the blood test CA 125 which came back normal. They said my womb lining was 2.5mm total which is very thin. They did a D&C and hysteroscopy all came back clear. I then has another vaginal ultrasound threee months later and the cysts are still there the same size also very small 12mm and 15mm. They dont want to see me again as they said although i had not had a period in two years I could still have ovulated. I then had the smear which also came back normal.So they dont want me to have another one for 5 years. All that worry for 5 months and now I am all in the clear but I do know what you are going through. If you need to talk feel free.
Gilly

Old 01-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Post Meno Bleeding - Please Input!

If a woman is over 30 and has post coital bleeding/ bleeding after menopause, etc, thenshe needs to get to the doctor. One of the things they need to check is the cervix. More specifically, the endocervical canal. They can do this by doing an ECC (endocervical curettage). Bleeding doesn't just come from the uterus. It can come from the cervix. Paps only scrape the outer 1/3 of the cervix. The upper 2/3 of the cervix cannot be reached by a pap. The only nonsurgical way to sample the tissue in the cervical canal is an ECC.

The ECC is usually done when the doctor looks more closely at the cervix during a colposcopy.

Closed Thread