It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

shonks5 HB User
anyone have luck with prometrium for hyperplasia?

I have been on prometrium 200mg for 3 months, treating simple hyperplasia. I am wondering if I should have gotten a period or something. I've had no bleeding at all. I take my last pill in 3 days. Is that when I will shed the lining? Has anyone had any experience with this? Any replies would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Shonks5

Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Re: anyone have luck with prometrium for hyperplasia?

Hi - this doesn't seem to be a very active board so I wanted to at least answer your post. I had simple hyperplasia back in 2004 and after a D&C was put on Megace every day for 9 months straight. I think I should have had a week off every month but I didn't. I had very irregular bleeding - nothing heavy more like spotting. Then the last 3 months I spotted every day. At the 9 month mark when the dr went to do a biopsy it really hurt and she said I have vaginal atrophy (I think she had me on the drug too often and too long). Anyway I stopped it then and didn't have anything for 3 months - then heavy bleeding again and I had complex hyperplasia. After a change of gyns and a second D&C I was fine.

When do you go back to your dr? I had to have biopsies every 3 months when I was on the Megace. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I was 55 at the time I was first diagnosed and had been having regular periods so I was not post menopause. I think my issues was just wacked out hormones.

Good luck and let me know what you dr has to say.

Mary in NY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi,
I have simple hyperplasia - had a D & C in September and am now on 10 mg. of Provera for 24 days a month. I haven't had a period yet - but I did have an ultrasound this week and she said the lining was nice and thin again.
I will be getting another biopsy in February and then again every 6 months or so, until whenever I'm told it's no longer needed.

As far as periods, my GYN said not to worry to much about it - unless I get very heavy bleeding - so far I've had nothing.
By the way - I'm 50.

Mary

Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
(female)

shonks5 HB User

I was hoping to be able to manage this without having to have a D&C. I am 53. I've been on hrt bioidentials for a couple of years. I was on cyclic dosing, but my periods kept getting heavier, so I tried continuous dosing. I kept spotting so that's when I got the ultrasound done. My lining is 1.4. I am hypothyroid, so I think that may have contributed to the thickened lining. I am finishing the 3 months of prometrium today. I have not had any bleeding, so does that mean it hasn't worked for me? Or, will I bleed after I stop the prometrium? I really don't want to have a D&C, I have problems with blood pressure and anxiety and am afraid of being put out. Can prometrium correct the problem even if I didn't bleed?

Thanks for answering,
Shonks5

Old 11-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi shonks5,

If you've been on Prometrium for 3 months without a break, you may bleed but you may not either (if your in complete menopause). My lining was 1.5 and I'm also hyperthyroid - it didn't occur to me that was part of the issue - but maybe it is.

I was also afraid of being put under - similar problems with anxiety and high blood pressure - but everything went fine and I recovered quickly - the next day I felt almost normal - just a bit tired.

My GYN said that for this procedure, your hardly put under - kind of like a twilight sleep - but you won't remember anything. I honestly remember looking at the clock just before going out (any worrying) and the next thing you know, I woke up about 25 minutes later (seemed like 10 seconds), and I felt OK.

Unless you've had a bad experience with anesthsia, I wouldn't worry to much. My mom had a very bad experience for a simple procedure and stopped breathing - but she was a heavy smoker and even smoked the moring of her surgery - so that worried me a little, but I don't smoke, and everything was fine.

Are you scheduled for an ultrasound or biopsy ? Your lining may be thinner since taking the prometrium - although I will say that I was on and off of it for about 18 months and ended up with the D & C anyway.

Hope this helps you out.

Mary

Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
(female)

vonbon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonks5 View Post
I have been on prometrium 200mg for 3 months, treating simple hyperplasia. I am wondering if I should have gotten a period or something. I've had no bleeding at all. I take my last pill in 3 days. Is that when I will shed the lining? Has anyone had any experience with this? Any replies would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Shonks5
I have tried both, in my case it worked great for the first couple of months.. after you last pill you will start your period about a week later.. and it will be heavy.. the second time it will be a lighter flow..

In my case my lining is way too thick so they put me on provera.. and OH BOY did I have a cycle however that too stopped working for me. I am 35yrs old and I found out that it also has to do with thyroid problems and diabetis for some. So I would go to a endocrinologist and have them test you for both.. I have been off both meds for about 4months and have been on my diabetis medication and guess what?????? I started my own cycle on my own!!! I am soo HAPPY!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
(female)

madison55 HB User

Hello,
My gyn wants me to take Prometrium for 10 days. I am 53 and had no bleeding for almost 6 months now. My gyn said that taking Prometrium would cause a "drug induced D & C" to "clean out" the lining that has build up, but not shed. I tried Prometrium once, for an issue, several years ago and it made me so sleepy that I couldn't function the next day. I swore that I would never take it again. Gyn says that my ovaries are still
"sputtering" and building some lining but I don't have enough progesterone to make it shed. My lower abdoman feels bloated, crampy and I feel that something needs to be done. Should I inquire about a D & C?

Madison

Closed Thread