It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

jdad1121 HB User
Help!

I am new to the boards here and I am hoping I can find out some information. I am 32 years old and have 2 children. After the birth of my first, I started having problems with my periods. All was normal before. I would not get a period monthly. After I had my 2nd child, finally after 5 years of trying, it got worse. Now I get maybe 2 periods a year if that, and they have to be brought on by Provera. This year I had my period around Easter time. Nothing again til August. Now this wasnt' like a period, it was very light spotting everyday, just there when I wiped. So my doc told me to take the provera again to bring on another period, I did and bled so bad that I would soak a pad every hour and bleed through my clothes when I stood up. Very large clots, size of plums. So i went back because the bleeding was so bad, they told me to take the provera again a different way to stop the bleeding. That didn't work. Then he prescribed aygestin 5mg to stop the bleeding, taking 1 pill daily. Its still not working I have been bleeding now for close to 4 months straight. The doctor says it will stop. I am at my wits end. My mother, grandmother and aunts on moms side have all had to have hysterctomy(sry for spelling) by the age of 30 due to heavy bleeding, fibroids and cervical cancer. I dont know why the doctors won't give me one as well, obviously it runs in the family or something. I have been to 4 different doctors and no one can give me a reason as to why this is happening. I was regular before I had my kids, every 21 days, bleed for 3 days and done for the month. I am heavier than I was before I had the kids, so I know that could play a minor roll too. I have been told by one doctor last year, I went in for extremely heavy bleeding, that I was passing tissue that it could be signs of uterine cancer or miscarriage. I went in for DC and found out it was an old miscarriage. Was actually all calcified(sp?) So now here I am, petrified that I could have cancer, no doctor will give me a endometrial biopsy, they say I am too young to have cancer. But I have several signs. abnormal bleeding, pain in pelvic area, bleed after sex. What do I do, I have contacted a cancer hospital but they wont see me as all paps have come back normal. Someone help me please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
(female)

diane777 HB User
Re: Help!

How exasperating. It's like nobody is listening to you. I wish I had an answer. Are you using an HMO? If so, that may be the problem. I had a lump in my throat when I had an HMO and went to doctor after doctor with no one doing a thing about it so I know what you are experiencing. It's ignorant of them to say you are too young to have cancer and to dismiss it like that. You may not have it but it's still wrong of them to assume you don't just based on your age. It certainly sounds like this is what has been running in your family with the heavy bleeding. If you have an HMO, I would keep fighting for your right to a biopsy of the tissue and maybe even threaten a lawsuit if you end up being sick and they did nothing about it. I wish you well. If you don't have an HMO, I would keep calling doctor's offices until someone takes you seriously.

I wish I had more knowledge for you about the condition. If you don't have cancer (which I hope is the case), there is still a real problem with this heavy bleeding. It is not normal and you certainly can't keep going on that way losing blood like this. They MUST do something to cure it.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
(female)

jdad1121 HB User

Thank you for your reply, i do not have a hmo, i have a ppo so i can go anywhere. Its just very frusturating. I work for a family business, thank goodness, so I am able to take off with no problems, but for the past month I have been at work for maybe 4 days out of the month. I am constinently embarrased due to leaking through my clothing. I have even been wearing 2 pads to try and help the leaking but its not working. I am scared to use a tampon as I dont want to make anything stay up there that should not be there. I am calling my doctor again today, and telling him that something needs to be done at least a D&C and while he does that I want an EB just to ease my mind. Do you think thats too much to ask. I am going away on the 2nd of Dec for my 10th wedding anniversary and dont want to have to worry about bleeding the whole time. I am sure you understand my point.
Also when I have went to other doctors and gotten my medical records, it doesn't show anything in them about abnormal bleeding. Just shows my 2 pregnancies, 2 misscarriages, and all my paps. I thought they would have to provide all the notes and all appts that I came in with problems. Maybe its just me, but I almost feel useless, no one wants to believe me or take this seriously. Even the ER just tells me to go home, wont even do an exam on my because my hemoglobin levels are not dangerously low. Even though they went down 1 whole point within a week.
I guess I need to keep calling around, doctor to doctor, maybe I will run into someone that will listen. Thanks for responding I really do appreciate it

Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
(female)

diane777 HB User

Thank goodness you have a PPO because then you can go to as many doctors as it takes. I cannot believe how the medical community is failing you so badly. It's just mind boggling. I cannot believe those previous doctors did not even document the bleeding in their records. A whole pint in a week is considerable. By the time they wait for the hemoglobin amounts to go down, you would have lost so much more blood. Why do they want to wait for that? I would try as many women doctors as possible until someone takes this seriously. Not that women are always the answer, but one would hope a woman would understand this kind of problem more. You can't walk around bleeding like that. I don't think asking for a D&C and EB are asking too much at all. That's the very least they should do. GOOD LUCK today -- and please let us know how it goes.

Try some of these sites on-line with patient reviews of doctors. You might find a good one that way. GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdad1121 View Post
Thank you for your reply, i do not have a hmo, i have a ppo so i can go anywhere. Its just very frusturating. I work for a family business, thank goodness, so I am able to take off with no problems, but for the past month I have been at work for maybe 4 days out of the month. I am constinently embarrased due to leaking through my clothing. I have even been wearing 2 pads to try and help the leaking but its not working. I am scared to use a tampon as I dont want to make anything stay up there that should not be there. I am calling my doctor again today, and telling him that something needs to be done at least a D&C and while he does that I want an EB just to ease my mind. Do you think thats too much to ask. I am going away on the 2nd of Dec for my 10th wedding anniversary and dont want to have to worry about bleeding the whole time. I am sure you understand my point.
Also when I have went to other doctors and gotten my medical records, it doesn't show anything in them about abnormal bleeding. Just shows my 2 pregnancies, 2 misscarriages, and all my paps. I thought they would have to provide all the notes and all appts that I came in with problems. Maybe its just me, but I almost feel useless, no one wants to believe me or take this seriously. Even the ER just tells me to go home, wont even do an exam on my because my hemoglobin levels are not dangerously low. Even though they went down 1 whole point within a week.
I guess I need to keep calling around, doctor to doctor, maybe I will run into someone that will listen. Thanks for responding I really do appreciate it

Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
(female)

jdad1121 HB User

Well I just got off the phone, of course the doctor wont call me back, just his secretary. They want me to take two pills of aygestin 5mg a day for four days to see if it helps. If it doesn't than I am supposed to call back. Figures just in time for the weekend which means I will get no doctor on the phone. Ugh I am so frusturated I want to cry, scream, rip someones head off. Why can't they just listen to me, I know my body and something is wrong. You would think me being on this pill for 18 days now 1 a day would of at least slowed it down a bit, nope of course not, so now pump more meds in my body and see if it works.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
(female)

diane777 HB User

I concur with your emotions -- I would rip someone's head off, too. Why on earth do they keep trying to have you try some more of the drugs to see if it stops. You've already done that. What a cop-out on their part.

I've had good luck with finding patient reviews of doctors. I hope you can find someone else besides these bozos you've had. Makes me think doctors like those were at the bottom of their class -- afterall, someone had to be at the bottom of their class and we're kind of likely to run into them and have no idea until we get no help from them. They are obviously like broken records telling you to do the same thing that doesn't help -- Like they say -- "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result".

Years ago, I had horrible headaches 5 X a week. I went to doctor after doctor. Each one would guess a cause for the headaches and do their test; but when the test was negative, they would send me home with no treatment. They wouldn't take my calls anymore. I went to 4 doctors like that until the 5th doctor finally diagnosed the problem and put me in treatment. I hope the next doctor you try will be the one that helps you. It's unbelievable what people like you have to go through just to get a condition diagnosed and treated. It shouldn't have to be that way.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-17-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
(female)

jdad1121 HB User

Ok I am about to lose it. I called the doctor yesterday since I was still bleeding after taking 2 pills a day. He said we need to do D&C yay finally. He told me his nurse would call me back to schedule. So I wait all day no phone call, so this morning I call. She says when would you like to have it done. Well mam, since I have been bleeding for 3 almost 4 months now, I would say ASAP. I told the doctor I have a trip planned on Dec 1, for my 10th wedding anniversary. Well we have an opening on Dec 2. No that won't work, I need it done sooner than that. Well sorry we don't have anything open, you know next week is a holiday week. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. So now they won't be able to do it until Dec 15th. I think its nuts. Why can't they schedule emergency surgery. I am sure if someone needed a Csection he would be right over there. I am so stressed out I dont know what to do. I am also extremely anemic at this time too. Why dont they understand this needs to be done now, not a month from now

Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
(female)

diane777 HB User

I agree -- you should be bumped to near the top of the list for this procedure since you have been bleeding for so long and are anemic. I have another friend who had heavy heavy bleeding and they scheduled her for surgery the END OF THE MONTH -- 4 weeks later. The other day she went to the ER because she was having trouble breathing and was anemic so THEN they admitted her and got her iron back up and did the surgery yesterday. WHY do they have to make everything an emergency??? I would keep calling every day -- one in the morning and one in the afternoon asking for about a cancellation so you can be moved up. If you bug them enough, they just might do it so that you stop calling. Holiday shmoliday. People get sick on holidays.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Tomorrow is not a holiday--march yourself right into that office and demand to speak with the doctor and insist on having the D&C done either immediately or on Friday. Bring your husband with you. Husbands can be an asset in situations like this. Tell him to moan and groan about how concerned he is about you, that he notices that you seem to be very unsteady on your feet because you are so dizzy and that something needs to be done immediately. If this doctor will not cave in, than march yourself right into an emergency room and refuse to leave until they stop the bleeding. How close are you to New York City? Maybe going into New York City and visiting one of their emergency rooms (insurance issue can be handle by telling them you were on your way to relatives for the holiday) will get you some better care. If you go to the doctor office, make sure that you arrive in the office first thing in the morning (like 8:30-9:00). If you choose the emergency room route, again be there early like around 8:00am (shift change is at 7:00am).

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

jdad

How are you doing--were you able to get your d&c done? I hope you were still able to get away and enjoy your anniversary.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Comment re age observation by Dr. I attended a Look Good makeup session for cancer patients. 20 of us. 3 my age 60's, remainder in 25-40 age group, young mums....a real eye opener for me. Please get yourself sorted quickly

Old 12-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
(female)

OCon HB User

I would check with a hematoligist. You may have a blood clotting disorder.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #13
(female)

jdad1121 HB User

Well I went on vacation, and I actually stopped bleeding on my own, no medicine. I stopped taking the meds as they were not working and I stopped bleeding on Nov 30. I am scheduled to go in on Monday for a D & C, I am not telling the doctor I stopped bleeding cause I know he will cancel the surgery. So fingers crossed everything comes back ok. I asked for an endometrial biopsy as well, but you already know the answer to that. He said they send out a piece of tissue from the D&C so that should show. Not sure if I believe him. I am still looking for another doctor, I have called cancer hospitals but no one will see me as I haven't been diagnosed with anything. If anyone knows a doctor in the NJ or PA area I am willing to travel. I live in Southern NJ. Thank you for all your kind words and helping me get through this.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
(female)

Sensation76 HB User

jdad1121,
I know you mentioned the doctor saying that you had passed tissue that could be a possible miscarriage or uterine cancer. Well when I was 3 years old my mom had Uterine Cancer and it's not like most Uterine Cancers. It's called Epithelioma Deciduoma Choriocarcinoma. She got it after she had a miscarriage because her doctor didn't scrape out all the afterbirth or placenta. If this is what is causing your bleeding it's highly malignant. So I really hope you are able to find out what's going on. If it is the same type my mom has it is very treatable I believe my mom is a survivor and she is still living to this day and I'm 32. Regardless of the cause your doctor shouldn't treat you like this if you don't get any results or he keeps leaving you in the dark you could threaten to file a lawsuit against him for malpractice cause what he is doing is wrong. Well I hope you get some answers.
Sen

Last edited by Sensation76; 12-16-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
(female)

diane777 HB User

Please let us know how it goes (or went) for you on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdad1121 View Post
Well I went on vacation, and I actually stopped bleeding on my own, no medicine. I stopped taking the meds as they were not working and I stopped bleeding on Nov 30. I am scheduled to go in on Monday for a D & C, I am not telling the doctor I stopped bleeding cause I know he will cancel the surgery. So fingers crossed everything comes back ok. I asked for an endometrial biopsy as well, but you already know the answer to that. He said they send out a piece of tissue from the D&C so that should show. Not sure if I believe him. I am still looking for another doctor, I have called cancer hospitals but no one will see me as I haven't been diagnosed with anything. If anyone knows a doctor in the NJ or PA area I am willing to travel. I live in Southern NJ. Thank you for all your kind words and helping me get through this.

Closed Thread