It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

honeys HB User
Cysts : Natural Cure Present or not

I would like to know whether cysts can be naturally cured completely. Searching through the internet, I came to know about couple of ebooks i.e., natural ovarian cyst relief secrets which claim they can be treated naturally.

Is this really possible?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Cysts : Natural Cure Present or not

Hello Honeys,

It is very interesting that you ask this question.

When I was dealing with my 9 cm ovarian cyst, I too saw all of those e-book ads for a natural cure for ovarian cysts. Let me just say that they all seem to be for the same e-book but under different web-site names (the sites seems to be the same word for word but with different domain names). I have also noticed that the person responsible for the book seems to be entering ovarian cyst sites, posing as a fellow cyst sufferer and trying to refer other ovarian cyst sufferers to purchase the book. These acts alone made me extremely skeptical.

Since I was quite vulnerable and desperate at the time, I did take a look at the sites and they seem to be filled with testimonials of how following the book's instructions got rid of their cyst and prevented them from having to have surgery. I noticed that the web-sites are full of spelling and grammatical errors and this made me think that the book was written by someone who at the very least does not have an advanced education much less a scientific one.

I therefore made an inquiry on another message board to see if anyone else had purchased the book and whether it was genuine (ie not a hoax) and had anything valid to offer. The reply I received from someone who had purchased the book said that it contained just as many errors as the web-sites did and was very badly written. The information was basically the same as that found in any holistic health program. Eat organic, non processed foods, don't use makeup or heavy soaps etc.. etc.. Now I am not sure if this is indeed what it contains as I have not read it myself but this individual said that she did not receive any additional or ovarian cyst specific information.

I personally am always skeptical of cures that claim to perform miracles and that have a 100% success rate but that have never been scientifically studied and proven to work. I also don't like people saying that this priviledged information is being "kept" from us by the medical profession as it could drive them out of business. After all, this supposedly "priviledged" information is not being offered freely to us by this individual but is being sold so they are just as guilty of trying to profit from it as the pharmaceutical and medical industry (and don't think for a moment that I would blindly trust these industries either).

Factually speaking, functional ovarian cysts come and go from women's ovaries every single month. They are a part of the normal functioning of the female body and they contain our eggs. As we ovulate they get bigger and after we ovulate they disappear. Most of the time, the reason these cysts disappear is simply because they are normal cysts that would have disappeared whether we ate or drank the right foods or not. Most certainly maintaining a healthy lifestyle which includes exercise, non processed foods and lots of fruits and vegetables will help your body to function better and will therefore help you to fight any illnesses or malfunctions. However, from what I have read in the scientific literature, a simple ovarian cyst that is 5 cms or less has a very good chance of disappearing on its own within 1-3 menstrual cycles. Some cysts are not functional in nature and they persist or grow bigger. Studies have shown that no medication (including birth control pills) or lifestyle habit can change the natural course of these cysts and that sometimes we are left with surgery as our only choice.

This is what happened to me. I would have been perfectly OK to keep an eye on my ovarian cyst and not to go for an invasive technique like surgical removal. When they first saw my cyst, it was about 7 cms in diameter. I watched it for 18 months but unfortunately my cyst was growing ... slowly but surely and I finally opted (with the help of my gynecologist) for a simpler surgery now while I was younger (a laparoscopic removal of my left ovary and tube since a cyst of that size basically destroys the ovarian tissue) than a more complicated surgery by laparotomy later when I was older.

I think that if an ovarian cyst does not look dangerous, it should be watched and by all means a healthy lifestyle followed (this should be true even if you don't have an ovarian cyst) but if the cyst does not go away or begins to change, a decision needs to be made in consultation with your doctor, preferably a gynecologist (who deals with this sort of thing all of the time) either to continue to watch it or to have it removed. Inform yourself so that you can come to a decision with your doctor that you fully internalize and are committed to.

This has been my own experience and I hope that it has helped you.

Best,

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

honeys HB User

Thanks a lot for your reply, Estria.

I wanted to tell you about my condition.

When I am 16yrs, I came to know I have a 1.25 cm cyst in my ovary but according the gyn I had to undergo surgery to get it removed but she told me that due to hormonal imbalance I may have 50-60% chances of side effects like spondilitis, nerve weakness, etc. after the surgery. If surgery is not done, at the time of pregnancy, chances are there that I or baby may survive. So I thought I had continue my normal gal life and get the surgery done at later stage.

Now I am 22yrs old, all these days I had excess flow at monthly periods, pain abdomen, nausea, vomiting, facial hair etc. I had controlled mostly by taking pain killers. Recently I had got it checked again and the size remained the same and uterus got enlarged due to the cyst. I have now decided to undergo surgery. Could you please answer my queries.

1. Really will there be any side effects after the surgery?
2. Since my uterus got enlarged, will it be ok after the surgery?
3. Will I be able to conceive a child?
4. Is there any other alternative you could see in my case?

Thanks,
Honeys

Old 07-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Honeys,

I think that you will have to clarify some information with your doctor before making any decision regarding surgery.

First of all, is the cyst on your ovary or in your uterus ? If it is on your ovary, why is your uterus enlarged ? An ovarian cyst cannot enlarge your uterus so perhaps your uterus is enlarged due to some other additional issue such as uterine fibroids or a thick endometrial lining. You need to find out why your uterus is enlarged.

Secondly, what kind of (presumably) ovarian cyst do you have and how large is it ? Is the cyst only filled with fluid or does it have some solid components ? If it is a simple fluid filled cyst on one ovary that is 5 cms or less, then it is highly unlikely to be anything dangerous. If the cyst contains solid components, they can sometimes identify it to be say a dermoid cyst (filled with hair and teeth) or a "chocolate" cyst (filled with blood). "Chocolate" cysts can sometimes go away on their own but dermoids usually need to be removed through surgery. Other types of complex cysts (cysts with some sort of solid component) will need to come out in order to rule out any serious pathology (most of these are benign as well but with these types of cysts, one needs to be more certain). Therefore, you need to find out what type of cyst you have and how large it is.

When you are armed with this information, then you can make a decision whether or not to proceed with the surgery. If your 1.25 cm cyst was a simple cyst then this was probably a normal functional cyst that all women get with ovulation. Therefore it should have gone away on its own. It is very possible that they may be seeing another functional cyst as these come and go every month in normal women of child bearing age. Functional cysts are not dangerous and do not need to be removed through surgery. It is highly unlikely that you would loose your or your baby's life due to an ovarian cyst so ask your gynecologist to explain this. Perhaps you have some sort of medical history that might aggravate a pregnancy or surgery. You will need to go over everything with your doctor to be sure.

Women with cysts do get pregnant. You have two ovaries which contain eggs so if one does not work, the other will.

Speak to your doctor about all of these issues so that you can make an informed decision that you are satisfied with.

Best,

Estria

Old 08-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
(female)

honeys HB User

Hi Estria,

Thanks again for providing such useful information. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Honeys

Last edited by honeys; 08-02-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

honeys HB User

Hi Estria,

I am sorry for asking this once again to you. But I require some help regarding this. Gyno said that I stand 50-60% chances of having side effects like nerve-weakness, spondilitis, etc. after the surgery due to hormonal imbalance. Is this info correct ?

I am very much worried whether it would have such a impact. Please shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Honeys

Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Honeys,

It is very difficult for me to say if what the doctor is telling you is accurate. Different people have different family histories and different medical problems which may aggravate certain surgeries. I have never heard of hormonal imbalances resulting in nerve damage after surgery but I am not a physician so don't take my word for it.

Is your doctor a board certified gynecological surgeon ? One sure way of knowing if what you are being told is accurate is to get a second opinion from a board certified doctor (or equivalent in your country .. you can call your local Gynecological Association of physicians and make sure that who you consult is indeed a certified physician).

If you don't trust what you are being told by a physician (which it sounds like you don't), see about talking to another one, from a group outside of that doctor's practice. Be sure that the risks and benefits that are being given to you are accurate before making any decision to have any kind of surgery. And if there is something that you don't understand, do not be afraid to ask questions and have the doctor explain exactly why they are telling you what they are.

Take care and good luck.

Estria

Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
(female)

msboards2 HB User

Good luck, Honey's.

Estria,

What kind of mass(es) can cause baby-like movements (not gas and not muscle twitches/spams), pg symptoms, pg tummy shape and feel, lactating (since my prolactin is not very high), pelvic pains, no periods, and occassional rare spotting?

My masses have hypoechoic area.
Mass 1: Very little blood in its hypoechoic/vascular region. Stuff inside it - not big, black, empty space.
Mass 2: Ring of Fire/Adnexal Ring sign, hypoechoic region, and Stuff inside it -- not big, black, empty space.

The ultrasound machine didn't even record video. I'm serious.

Anything simpler to Ovarian/Ectopic Pregnancy but yet not pregnancy?

Curious: What does a stone baby look like on an ultrasound? Any other types of calcified masses (not stone baby, not ectopic pregnancy, not dermoid/teratoma)?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate more than you know. My current doctors are useless (ignoring ultrasound even), so I'm getting ready to switch doctors.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
(female)

msboards2 HB User

Could my masses by borderline tumors?

Thanks.

Closed Thread