HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Uterine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-uterine/)
-   -   Biopsy for a .8mm thickened uterine lining (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-uterine/716349-biopsy-8mm-thickened-uterine-lining.html)

marleyspark 10-07-2009 07:16 PM

Biopsy for a .8mm thickened uterine lining

Hi all,

After 7 months of 'no show' I had a very heavy, painful period, so went for an annual check up, had a PAP (came back normal) and blood test for menopause - the bloodwork came back showing I was menopausal.

I was advised to go for an ultrasound at the hospital; had an external and an internal; and they rang to tell me it showed a couple cysts on right ovary, a 3cm fibroid and a thickened uterine lining. An appointment was made to see a gynocologist at the Womens clinic, but the wait was about 6 weeks.

While waiting for the appointment I found myself having another period, this time normal medium flow and with - surprisingly - no pain. It started within the window of time I would normally have a period.

Then the appointment came and the Women's Clinic did an ultrasound. Took blood. I had to wait for test results.

They rang to say the bloodwork showed that I was menopausal.

Meanwhile, and precisely 28 days after my no-pain normal-period, I started spotting for a couple of days and had a few period pains. However it didn't turn into a full blown period. It just stopped.

About nine days later I went back to the Women's Clinic, an appointment to talk with the doctor about the results.

The doctor told me that this second ultrasound (just internal this time),
showed the cysts had now disappeared; that there were only a couple of 'folicles' on my right ovary (was told nothing to worry about); there were actually three small fibroids dotted along the outside-wall of my uterus at front (told nothing to worry about). And that my lining thickness measured .8mm, which I was told was a little thicker than the ideal measure of .4mm (we're talking points of a millimeter here).

So...heavy period, normal period, spotting....all within 'cycle' windows. Everything else checks out normal, though perimenopausal.

The doc thought it most likely all was fine but said it was up to me to decide whether to have a biopsy to check for cancer, or leave it a while, and wait and see - etc I think she meant, keep coming back for ultrasounds or whatever. Well, I felt worried. If I waited, what if it [I]was[/I] cancerous? At the immediate moment I said I'd like to get it checked out.

However, my main concern is - i am in two minds. I don't feel I have enough information to make an informed decision. Intuitively I feel....hmm, a lining that is only .8 mm is hardly worth checking out. Especially now that I've read other threads that mention that the presence of fibroids had made one lady's lining look thicker than it really was. Also, I asked about any complications of biopsy and was told there is slight risk of puncturing wall of colon or bladder. I've heard one can be in pain afterwards, for days, and spotting afterwards, for days. I'm also thinking, once 'on the band-waggon', even if all is fine, I'd probably end up having to go for biopsy on a regular basis?

I hate to say this next bit but...to be truthful it did even cross my mind...that we live in a small town, low population, plenty of hospitals. The health care industry is an industry and needs to keep ticking over, and all appointments honored is another dollar in the pocket help. But on a positive note, it's wonderful to have a health care system that cares so very much as to investigate every possibility.

So, question is, do I go for a biopsy and start that whole process going in my life...or...do I get a second opinion...or...do I just wait a while and get another ultrasound should anything else untoward happen in the next year or so.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

HOping it isn't too much information to absorb.
Thanks!

marymk 10-08-2009 12:37 PM

Re: Biopsy for a .8mm thickened uterine lining

Hi,
I've been down this road - started with a slightly thickened lining (don't remember the number). I had numerous biopsy's and ultrasounds - about every 3 - 6 months. It was very frustrating to go on like this - I had cysts also - that came and went. After about 3 years (I know that sounds like alot of dr visits - it was), I had a biopsy come back with mild atypical cells. All the previous ones were normal.
I had a D&C and everything came back good. I've had two more ultrasounds and one more biopsy since then, and they were all normal. Before the atypical cells showed up, I was sure that every biopsy I had, would turn out normal, so I was quite shocked when one didn't, but glad that it was caught early, and after the D&C, no further treatment was needed. Now I am back having a yearly appointment, that will include an ultrasound, and a biopsy, only if the ultrasound shows anything. My Dr. has an ultrasound tech in the same office, so at least it makes it an all in one visit.
I was perimenopausal when this all started, and now I am getting closer to menopause - I'm getting about 3 periods a year.
Hope this helps you out.

Mary

santee245 10-08-2009 06:38 PM

Hi,

You don't say how old you are. If you are having trouble with your periods or still bleeding after menopause that is not normal. I found out the hard way. If it puts your mind at ease go for the biopsy. My dr. was an idiot and he still is. Hopefully you have a good one. I had to ask for hysterectomy and they found cancer in me.

santee

marleyspark 10-11-2009 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=santee245;4095823]Hi,

You don't say how old you are. If you are having trouble with your periods or still bleeding after menopause that is not normal. I found out the hard way. If it puts your mind at ease go for the biopsy. My dr. was an idiot and he still is. Hopefully you have a good one. I had to ask for hysterectomy and they found cancer in me.

santee[/QUOTE]
Thanks Mary and Santee. Very helpful both. Hoping you recovered well Santee. It sounds like an awful experience you had with your Gyn.

Your experience Mary, is exactly what I'm trying to avoid...but after having thought long and hard, I've now realised there is no alternative way - ie that these repeated tests have to be done in order to be absolutely sure. And now I've opted to take care of myself there's no 'half-way' about it, lol :-)

I am 49 actually, sorry I omitted to mention...and this year has turned out to be my transitional one, so EVerything is up in the air says the Gyn.

To my comfort, there's no history of uterine or other femail cancers on either side of the family. I started ovulating late (almost 16 yrs), I only used the Pill between 18-27 yrs of age, have had two children, both normal deliveries when age 27 and 29 yrs; and successfully breastfed both, one for 3- and one for 9- months.

It was in Sept 2008 I found out I was PERIMENOPAUSAL, but it wasn't until Nov/Dec that I realised I hadn't had a Period for a while (was always kind of expecting one to turn up, you know the feeling, they had just become overly Irregular, hence blood test).

In July 2009 bloodwork came back as POSTMENOPAUSAL and thats when I'd had that really heavy painful Period that lasted 10 days. 44 days later I had another Period, this time NO pain, which I thought was very unusual, first time ever. 28 days after that I had spotting and period pains but they turned into nothing after two days.

7th October, the attempted Biopsy in the Gyn office was unsuccessful due to cervix too tight, and it resulted in spotting for two days afterwards, which stopped, then started again today (a small clot), 11th, but it had stopped by the afternoon.

Throughout I"ve had normal Thyroid and normal PAPs and blood work in every other regard has been Normal apart from a slightly anemic spell after the heavy Period in July.

Re: Fybroids and cysts:
July-Sept they found three small fybroids outer front uterus and a couple ovarian cysts on Right ovary that subsequently disappeared (to be replaced by 2 folicles same ovary) and a thickened uterine lining. I was only told the measurement of it mid Sept, at .8mm.

Adding it all up there is one culprit as yet not mentioned and that is, that for the past few years I've been struggling with weight-gain (was always naturally skinny when younger - and wished I were fatter!) Well...my prayers were answered and I have been heaviest yet this year (in the officially 'overwieght' range, but NOT 'obese' thankfully.) But end of August I'd successfully started and stuck with a diet and have lost 20lbs so far - and feel terrific for it....but such is life!

So, I guess weight, causing excess estrogen, is risk factor number one. And the blood coming back POSTmenopausal while I had a heavy period, then two other seeming periods (as you mentioned Santee) that's worry factor number two.

My Gyn. said she's seen EVery scenario....even Postmenopausal changing to Perimenopausal and back again; thickened linings that are fine etc.

SOooo....I've opted to go for the D&C, but - as it's an elective - I'd relish a second opinion and another blood test. The appointment is not until 23 November so I'm hoping for a cancellation. Otherwise a change of venue, just to get it over with, and to know!

One question: can anyone describe their experience of having a D&C? I have'nt had a pre-op appointment yet to discuss anything, so I know I'll be told, but it'd be nice to know from someone who has been 'on the table' as it were!

Many thanks again all. Truly appreciated :-)
Alison

santee245 10-12-2009 06:19 AM

Hi,

I hope everything turns out okay for you. Yes, I did have an idiot for a gyn, more interested in how white his teeth are and flirting with the women that came in. A woman knows when something is wrong with them and to be put off for so long was terrifying for me. He told my sister if he did hysterectomies for every woman that had a problem or a fibroid he would be operating all day everyday. Well, as far as I am concerned that is his job and if he doesn't like it he should get out of it. My main concern right now is getting through he chemotherepy. It is as close to he doulbe toothpick as you can get. I have so much trouble eating anything and have lost a lot of weight and strenghth. My back hurts all the time so bad that I can hardly stand. I belive that is from the radiation (38 treatments).

The D&C was a breeze, I didn't feel anything after it was over. I still wonder if they even did it though. I felt that if they do a d&c that they couldn't possibly miss a 2.3 cm tumor. I was always under the impression that they scrape the uterus. I am not a professional though so I am not sure. He said it was nestled in among the fibroids which he told me I didn't have. Sounds like you have a good gyn, they are not perfect though and it is your body. Sounds like you are being thorough and that is my main purpose for writing of my experiences with this so women make sure no matter what the dr. says that they get everything checked out. They make you feel like if you are overweight you are going to get cancer or some other untreatable disease. Our whole family was overweight except for two, out of 7 girls. All of them had hysterectomies. I was stupid and believed that it wouldnt happen to me. It runs in families. I am so glad that it doesn't run in yours, I am very proud of you for being vigilant. Keep it up.

Good luck on the D&C. santee

marleyspark 10-13-2009 12:17 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences Santee. It sounds incredibly unprofessional what you've had to endure with that Gyn guy. I made a slight blooper with my Gyn actually, hadn't realised she would be the one doing the D & C and after she'd explained the possible risks - puncture to colon or bladder, hemorrhaging and so on...I replied, well as long as I get someone who knows what they're doing! She looked a little sheepish and I wondered what I'd said wrong. Found out today she's the surgeon! But why didn't she just say so! I felt the cold shoulder as she left. I certainly didn't want to offend. I felt my comments were legitimate and also said in a quite lighthearted way ya know. And you're right, we have to defend our bodies. I find strength from my convictions, even if I feel a little silly at times. I've felt that women, when it is to do with reproduction, always seem to be treated as if we're all a bunch of neurotics who can't be given an inch, as it were.

Getting full information has been an issue too. One of the reasons I found you all here. I've had to ask tons of questions just to get a clearer picture of what is going on. I think they need a comprehensive leaflet, then we can all relax :-) But....early days!

Keep positive. All best with your recovery, it surely must get easier as time goes on.
Alison :-)

SPENCER1968 10-13-2009 09:25 AM

My age: 41 - I had to go to my OB/GYN because I had abnormal bleeding which they sent me for a pelvic sonogram and transvaginal and found out that my uterus lining was thick – not sure of the measurement. Yes, my doctor wanted to rule out the nasty “C” word so they performed a biopsy (crap that hurt like hell), I had spotting afterwards which is to be expected. Biopsy came back great and my next procedure which I just had done two days ago was an endoscopy of the uterus going through the cervix to check to see if I had any fibroids – now that came back great as well. I guess for now she has put me on birth control pills of “Jolivette” to see how I respond with that.

Wishing you ladies all the best!