It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

fearl5 HB User
thickened uterine lining

I am a 67 year old woman who has been told that i have a thickened uterine lining. I do not have any pain or bleeding. I am scheduled for a biopsy. I already had a sonogram. What would the next step be?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
(female)

yoda1257 HB User
Re: thickened uterine lining

I have read alot about this because I had to take tamoxafen for a couple of years post breast cancer and tamox can cause uterine thickening.

From what I know, uterine thickening can be fairly common post menopause but rarely means uterine cancer. The biopsy of course will confirm this. The next step might be to rx something like promentrium ( a progesteron med) which is know to thin the uterus. I think there are other options as well.

But mostly they will just wan't to moniter periodically with a trans vaginal ultrasound and follow-up tests as needed.

Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

fearl5 HB User

Thanks Leea,
I hope you're right. I am having the biopsy on Mon. I hope I don't have to wait too long for the report.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

yoda1257 HB User

Good luck Fearl.
Let us know how things turn out.

Leea

Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
(female)

Terry45 HB User

After having an ultrasound in November and found out I had 14 mm uterine lining they said it should be 4-8mm. The next step was to do the endometrial biopsy in the office. They tried and it was so painful the gyn stopped and 2 weeks later he did a d&c in the hospital with a hysterosopy all with not cutting involved. The took the sample and I am still waiting the outcome of the results I had hoped to find out today good or bad. If it is bad I will most likely have the uterus removed right away which is fine with me if that gets it gone. I will post the outcome hopefully tomorrow. That is the order my gyn has taken me and it has been fast. This is the first occurence of long term bleeding at the age of 45 so the gyn said he would be able to move quickly if necessary. All in this situation must have the biopsy to be sure is my understanding. Will post soon.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
(female)

Terry45 HB User

Definitely the biopsy is what I had done first with the D&C, 2 weeks later I started bleeding again for a few days. I am still pmsing and feeling again like I will start again. I talked with my gyn and I have decided at 45 I will have a hystorectomy on Feb 4th in 2 days, ugh! I am going ahead and have the ovaries removed even though I have just had cysts but removing the uterus does not rule out ovarian cancer and issues later on cysts. I will have a LSH laporoscopy method but having the bladder leakage fixed with a sling support for the bladder. I have been told it will be about a 3 week recovery. Three small incisions on the stomach, 2 on leg and 1 inside for the bladder fix. I have heard only good things from this procedure so I am glad my gyn is doing the newest method available. Oh also, he is going the laser the endometriosis implants. Surgery is a 1 night stay. Hope this helps someone to share my process.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Terry,

I hope you have been made aware that by removing the ovaries you will go into surgical menopause. This is an issue you will have to deal with post surgically, either with hormone replacement or, if not, with calcium supplementation to reduce your risk of osteoporosis. The ovaries produce estrogen which protects you from this until menopause .. then within the first five years of menopause you loose a substantial amount of bone mass so you have to protect against this as much as possible.

I am curious, did your doctor recommend ovary removal or was this your idea ? Ovarian cancer is not all that common and although removing the ovaries removes the risk of ovarian cancer, there is a similiar cancer called peritoneal cancer which behaves exactly like ovarian cancer that you could still get (again, this cancer is rare, like ovarian cancer).

I hope you are aware of all of the risks and other options before going ahead with the surgery. If you are and you have still made the decision to go ahead with it, then I wish you all the best for a very speedy recovery.

Take care.

Estria

Closed Thread