It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

cg01 HB User
Surgery delayed until July 2nd - nervous

My surgery was originally scheduled for June 9th for a Davinci hysterectomy for dx of endometrial adenocarcinoma which was found through biopsy with results of Grade I. Just heard from my gyn who decided that it would be best to have a gyn/onc standing by to assist.

I am so worried that the delay will be dangerous as far as the cancer spreading even though my gyn insists it will not be. I really like my gyn who has done over 300 robotic hysterectomies and also teaches the procedure to other doctors. The oncologist is also very experienced.

I am torn as to what to do???? Should I try to find another doctor to see if it can be done sooner or trust that it will be ok to wait per my gyn?????

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by cg01; 06-03-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Surgery delayed until July 2nd - nervous

cg01,

What do these doctors think--you are just hanging around all nice and calm ("sure no problem, I am not really that concern, I mean it is only CANCER right, why should I be worried") How long did you have to wait to get the June 9th surgery date? I think I would call and schedule an immediate sit down meeting with the gyn and let him know that you are not really happy with having to wait another 4 weeks when you have already waiting a significant amount of time for the June 9th date. I would ask him why he chose to change his mind on how he planned to originally perform the procedure and why he feels that he must have an gyn/onc present to assist. Also make sure he is aware that you have already made arrangements for the June 9th date and that by changing the date so close to the original date that he has not only disrupted your schedule but the schedule of other people willing to help you while you are recuperating. (even if all of this is not true, let him know that it is not only his schedule but yours too.)

Can you tell that I dislike when doctors just randomly change something without finding out how many people this change will effect.

I would make this appointment ASAP because June 9th is next week.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Brenda

Last edited by shisslak; 06-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

cg01 HB User

Hi Brenda

Thanks for responding.

I waited less than 2 wks for my June 9th surgery date. Next Thursday I have an appointment with the gyn/oncologist and will speak with her whether there is any way the surgery could be sooner.

The problem is that I really like and trust my gyn and this gyn/oncologist is also one of the best. I am having the Davinci surgery and there are only a few doctors who do this. My gyn is the medical director of gyn at the hospital and has performed over 300 of these surgeries and also teaches other doctors.

When my gyn told me about needing surgery, she did mention that she thought it would be a good idea to have a gyn/oncologist also present - something to do with testing lymph nodes, etc. but I begged her if she do it since the gyn/onco is further from where I live and I would also have to have it done at a different hospital to accommodate the oncologist who does not have hospital privileges at the previous hospital. My gyn is the med dir of gyn for both hospitals.

I am definitely going to ask the gyn/oncologist if she thinks the delay could cause the cancer to spread more when I speak with her next week. My gyn said that it is only 3 wks from the date of my original surgery so she isn't concerned. If it was a couple of months then that would be a problem. I pray that she is right!!

Will find out more after I have the consult with the oncologist.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

cg

I can understand why you wish to stick with your doctor--he does sound like he knows what he is doing, it is just a shame that he scheduled you and than changed his mind. It is wise to check those lymph nodes. While it is disappointing to have to wait a little longer, you must have faith in your doctor.

Good luck and let me know how everything works out.

Brenda

Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

cg01 HB User

Thanks Brenda. Trying to keep busy until I have my surgery.

Closed Thread