It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

laray56 HB User
It's Uterine Cancer, Need Advice

I posted recently as a new member after last week's endometrial biopsy.
This afternoon my gynocologist called to tell me that yes, it is cancer. I was at work when she phoned, and thanks to a very supportive boss and co-workers, I calmed down enough to drive home only a couple hours ago.
But I think I was in shock while on the phone with my doctor, I can barely remember anything she said! I no sooner got home when she phoned to say an appt. has already been set up for me to see the gyno-oncologist. I will be having a hysterectomy. At age 54, having been in menopause for several years, the "procedure" of a hysterectomy does not frighten me so much as the word "cancer"! My annual pap test had always been normal, along with mamograms, colonoscopys, etc....Menopause was a piece of cake compared to what others go through. I never had children, went through the change early and easily. Periods stopped totally and that was it, till about a month ago when this spotting (which gradually turned to more like period bleeding) came on. As soon as I noticed that I DID call my gyno, that led to an ultra-sound, then the biopsy, and now the news I got today
My appt with the gyno-oncologist is next week. I KNOW I am still in shock right now, having gotten the news just hours ago. I will be in a better frame of mind when I see him next week, but still, I want to be as prepared as possible. Any of you who have gone through this before may be able to advise me. WHAT KIND OF QUESTIONS should I pose to him at this first appointment? I just never dreamed I would go through something like this. I come from a family where there are "heart issues" (both parents died of heart attacks at very young ages, I have already outlived my mother) I have always been worried about my heart! Never thought I would be facing this, and like many of you, I am scared. I like to think the fact I contacted my GYN when I first noticed the spotting means this has been caught at an early stage, but who knows? Anyway, I would appreciate any advice that would be helpful as I look forward to the first visit with the gyno-oncologist, and I would like to hear about any similar experiences like I am going through.
Many thanks, Lucy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: It's Uterine Cancer, Need Advice

Lucy,

I am so sorry to hear your news. What a shock and to be called while you are at work--I guess I can not say heartless because how else are these doctors going to get in touch with their patients.
I will not tell you to relax because I know that I could not, however, try to sit quietly tonight, take a nice bath or read quietly, whatever brings you calmness. Tomorrow begin with a piece of paper and pen and just start jotting down questions when you think of them. What is a typical treatment plan? How soon can I start treatment? Can I work while having treatment?...
Whenever you feel like talking or venting your frustrations, then just log on to this board and let it rip--we are all hear to support you.

Is there anyone who you would feel comfortable with to go to this appointment with you. That way you can have a second set of ears to hear what the doctor says. You can also give this person your list of questions so that they can make sure that you have all your questions answered.
Please let me know how you do at this appointment.

Brenda

Last edited by shisslak; 06-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

laray56 HB User

Thanks Brenda for your quick reply to my original post. Yes, you are right, it is good and important to have a bit of time to take a deep breath, and calm down and plan ahead as to what sort of questions to ask when facing a hysterectomy/uterine cancer. In a way I feel like such a fool for ever thinking "this could never happen to me" Well, now it has, and I am trying my best to deal with it. What I have read on this board has given me alot of information.... but still I am in shock, and scared to death. I feel like I totally have NO control over my body, and that has been a real eye opener to say the least. I am a grown, totally responsible woman, and yet it's like I've been playing a game with myself all these years....thinking if I took care of myself, went for annual checkups, obeyed the "RULES" I would be okay....that nothing "bad" could ever happen to me!! What a joke.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
(female)

cg01 HB User

Hi Lucy

I certainly can understand what you are going through. After a few instances of post-menopausal bleeding I had an endometrial biopsy done and it came back as well-differentiated endometrial adenocarcinoma grade 1. It is a shock when we learn that we have cancer.

I think it was very unprofessional for your doctor to call you at work with the news. That is not something you want to hear anytime but especially at work.

I am scheduled for a davinci hysterectomy on July 2nd and was told by my doctor that there is a 90% probably that I will not need any further treatment which I am hoping for.

The good news to remember is that this is usually caught at an early stage and is cureable.

Before your appointment with your oncologist, it is a good idea to write down the questions you have and bring it with you to the office. Some of the questions I had were type of surgery being performed, pre-op, post-op concerns, restrictions, etc, etc.etc. I was able to get all the answers to my questions and wrote them down.

The first few days after the diagnosis is the hardest. You are dealing with the shock of it and the reality of it too. However, after a few days I was able to calm down a little and now just want it to be over with.

Remember you are not alone and we are all here to help you.

Last edited by cg01; 06-16-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

Anglosaxonlass HB User

Hi Lucy, although I don't have any info as yet to give you, I am in the same predicament. I am almost 51, went to see my gp as feeling unwell and just happened to mention that I had had two periods recently after a long time without any and that was it, all systems go. I guess I'm in a state of denial or disbelief too, as my smears have always been normal. I had an emergency appointment with a gynae doc yesterday and she took as many biopsies as i could bear. I have to go back and be examined under anaesthetic (a hysteroscopy) to get a more detailed exam. I just want to say you are not alone, and any info I can find I will pass your way.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
(female)

laray56 HB User

Thanks for the advice about writing down questions to ask at my appt. tomorrow. I already have quite a list! Also will be sure to write down what he says, so I don't forget it all when I walk out the door. I am often intimidated by doctors, but in this case I feel I just have to "take charge". Sometimes I tend to start out saying "I know this is a silly question..." Am NOT going to do that this time. I think all of my questions and concerns are important. I think having everything written down will help alot. Will let you know how it goes, Lucy

Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
(female)

cg01 HB User

Just remember that there are no "silly" questions when it concerns your health.

Please keep us posted. Good luck with your appointment.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
(female)

Lindaann888 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laray56 View Post
I posted recently as a new member after last week's endometrial biopsy.
This afternoon my gynocologist called to tell me that yes, it is cancer. I was at work when she phoned, and thanks to a very supportive boss and co-workers, I calmed down enough to drive home only a couple hours ago.
But I think I was in shock while on the phone with my doctor, I can barely remember anything she said! I no sooner got home when she phoned to say an appt. has already been set up for me to see the gyno-oncologist. I will be having a hysterectomy. At age 54, having been in menopause for several years, the "procedure" of a hysterectomy does not frighten me so much as the word "cancer"! My annual pap test had always been normal, along with mamograms, colonoscopys, etc....Menopause was a piece of cake compared to what others go through. I never had children, went through the change early and easily. Periods stopped totally and that was it, till about a month ago when this spotting (which gradually turned to more like period bleeding) came on. As soon as I noticed that I DID call my gyno, that led to an ultra-sound, then the biopsy, and now the news I got today
My appt with the gyno-oncologist is next week. I KNOW I am still in shock right now, having gotten the news just hours ago. I will be in a better frame of mind when I see him next week, but still, I want to be as prepared as possible. Any of you who have gone through this before may be able to advise me. WHAT KIND OF QUESTIONS should I pose to him at this first appointment? I just never dreamed I would go through something like this. I come from a family where there are "heart issues" (both parents died of heart attacks at very young ages, I have already outlived my mother) I have always been worried about my heart! Never thought I would be facing this, and like many of you, I am scared. I like to think the fact I contacted my GYN when I first noticed the spotting means this has been caught at an early stage, but who knows? Anyway, I would appreciate any advice that would be helpful as I look forward to the first visit with the gyno-oncologist, and I would like to hear about any similar experiences like I am going through.
Many thanks, Lucy
Hi. I would like to hear how you are doing. I just got the same diag today and can't stop crying. I am so scared. I have to call tomorrow to make an appt with the oncologisgt to have more tests and a hysterectomy. Since you posted in June, please tell me how you are doing?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
(female)

cg01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaann888 View Post
Hi. I would like to hear how you are doing. I just got the same diag today and can't stop crying. I am so scared. I have to call tomorrow to make an appt with the oncologisgt to have more tests and a hysterectomy. Since you posted in June, please tell me how you are doing?
The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath and try to relax. I know this is very difficult to do. I, too, was very scared when I heard the words endometrial (uterine) cancer and shocked.

I had my davinci robotic surgery done July 2nd and am doing great. To me the hardest part was the pre-op because the day before I had to do a bowel cleanse by drinking magnesium citrate and was on a full-liquid diet. The surgery itself only took 45 minutes. I had a total hysterectomy and my ovaries removed which is the usual procedure for a cancer dx. I was only in the hospital overnight and had very little pain. I was up and walking the hospital halls around 5 hours after my surgery.

My pathology report came back as early stage cancer (it invaded less than 50% of the endometrium). I think it was staged as 1A. There were no lymph node involvement either. I do not require any further treatment such as radiation, etc. The hysterectomy took care of the cancer and I am 100% ok. My doctor told that if you had to have a cancer this is one of the best ones to have.

I was just like you when I first found out but I want to tell you that you will get through this just as I have and it will become a distant memory.

I am now completely back to normal and have no further restrictions such as heavy lifting, bending, etc. I do get tired sometimes when I overdo it but according to my doctor that is normal. The operation just seems like a memory now and I am so glad that it is over with as you will be too.

If you have any questions to ask the doctor, make sure you write them down because it is so easy to forget. Please feel free to write again and let me know how it goes at your doctor's appointment.

Sending you hugs and good thoughts.

Carole

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Lindaann,

I want to send along my support--please take a deep breath and one day at a time. Sit down and write down all of your questions. If there is someone who you feel comfortable with, please request that they attend your appointment with you to go over the proposed treatment plans. This second person is there to get all the information that you will miss because your hearing really does not work well. Make sure that your second set of ears has your list of questions and that they are taking down notes on what is discussed and that all of your questions are asked and answered.

Please let us know how you are doing and feel free to right whenever you need to chat.

Closed Thread