It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

Libi HB User
pathology report doubts post TLAVH BSO

I am 54 years old and on 18/07/10 undergone a total laparascopic Vaginal assisted hysterectomy (TLVAH) and bilateral salpingooophrectomy further to an endometrial biopsy showing endometrial complex hyperplasia with Atypia (perimenopausal bleeding)

I was told by my gynacologist that I had precancerous changes although there was a small risk that, if the pathology showed concurrent cancer at time of pathology evaluation and that the cancer had gone through more than a third of the muscle wall, I would need further surgery to remove some lymph nodes.

Meanwhile I have received results that showed Endometrium: "partially autolytic,mostly inactive and Adenomyosis." As far as I am able to understand, autolysis is a process that destroys the cells of the specimen sometimes to such an extent that interpretation pathologically can be extremely hampered and even at times impossible. I understand it is advisable therefore to ensure that the specimen is treated (I believe with formalin) in order to prevent this autolysis either by the surgeon or the laboratory.

I also note on my results there is an absence of a comment such as simple hyperplasia/ complex hyperplasia/ simple hyperplasia with atypia/ complex hyperplasia with atypia/ or cancer all of which were previously explained to me as a continuum in the changes that took me to a diagnosis of pre cancerous changes in endometrium.

I understand that the pipelle endometrial biopsy only samples a small amount (4-12%) of the endometrium and am therfore extremely anxious that this result indicates that due to autolysis it was impossible for the laboratory to determine the histopathology and now it is also impossible to determine if it was concurrent cancer or worse still invasive cancer.

Should I speak to my gynacologist about checking my lymph nodes in any case?

Many thanks
Libi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: pathology report doubts post TLAVH BSO

libi,

I think I would certainly asked your doctor to please explain the meaning behind the pathology report and if this gyn who performed the surgery is not a gyn oncologist, than maybe you should request a referral a gyn oncologist and pose your very valid questions to him/her.

Let me know how you do.

Brenda

Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Libi HB User

Thank you for your input- My Gynacologist is away until the 24th when I have an appointment to do exactly what you suggest. Libi

Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Lili,

Good luck, I hope you get all the answers to your questions. Let me know how you do.

Brenda

Closed Thread