It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

leighrealm HB User
Suspicious cells?

I had a little spotting(I'm 60) and after a pap test was told I had suspicious cells? Have you ever heard this and not had cancer?

Old 01-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Suspicious cells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighrealm View Post
I had a little spotting(I'm 60) and after a pap test was told I had suspicious cells? Have you ever heard this and not had cancer?
Was it endometrial cells or suspicious cervical cells?
I've heard of both, and either way, it might not be cancer.

When endometrial cells are found in PAPs of postmenopausal women, it makes doctors suspicious that endometrial cancer or hyperplasia (a potentially precancerous condition) might be present. There is no way for them to know, however, without doing an endometrial biopsy. They need to take a sample of tissue from your endometrial lining, and test it in a lab. Until they do that, they will not know whether you have a problem, or how serious it might be.
If you have endometrial cancer, it's probably still in the early stages, and a hysterectomy will probably solve the whole problem- no further treatment needed.
If it's only endometrial hyperplasia, they usually treat that by giving you hormone pills (progesterone) to take for three months, then retesting your uterine lining to make sure the hyperplasia cleared up.

If it was suspicious cervical cells, more investigation is needed, also.
If your PAP showed abnormal cervical cells, the next step is they'll do a cervical biopsy, where they take a tiny bit of tissue from your cervix, send it to a lab, and analyze it.
Again, even if it's abnormal, it may not be cancer.
It may be cervical dysplasia, which is a precancer, but which can be effectively treated with a minor outpatient procedure so that the abnormal cells will be removed and not turn into cancer (see the Cervical Cancer board for more information on dysplasia treatments).

Either way, "suspicious" doesn't mean cancer, and there's no way they can tell whether you have cancer just from a PAP.
"Suspicious" means they'll have to investigate further, to verify or rule out cancer and decide on a course of treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

leighrealm HB User

Thank you Kalee,
It is endometrial and I would not be a surgery candidate because of heart trouble.They want to do a D & C, but even that is in question. Funny, when I took a series of antibiotics for several days the bleeding stopped. I will hope for hyperplasia!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighrealm View Post
Thank you Kalee,
It is endometrial and I would not be a surgery candidate because of heart trouble.They want to do a D & C, but even that is in question. Funny, when I took a series of antibiotics for several days the bleeding stopped. I will hope for hyperplasia!
I am sorry to hear that, leigh (about the heart trouble).
Perhaps it's only an infection, if the antibiotics stopped it.
I too will hope that it's nothing serious. Best wishes, hon!

I have heard that in endometrial cancer cases where surgery is not possible or not wanted, they can treat it with radiation alone, or with a medicine called Megace (Megestrol Acetate).
Endometrial cancer is one of the easiest cancers to cure, so be hopeful!

Last edited by Kali333; 01-02-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
(female)

leighrealm HB User

Thank you Kali333,
I will use your info to speak a little more informed when I see the gynocologist tomorrow.I need to do a stress test before any treatment is considered. Thank you so much!

Last edited by leighrealm; 01-02-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

leighrealm HB User

I"m going in for D & C tomorrow. Cardiologist had to ok this. SCARED and not looking forward to final diagnosis. I will keep you updated. Thanks to all who view.

Closed Thread