It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

leighrealm HB User
Endometrial cancer and few options?

I just found out I have endometrial cancer and because of heart and kidney issues, may not have hysterectomy or chemo. Has anyone had uterine cancer and only had radiation treatment? I wonder how bad side effects would be and what chance for a cure.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Endometrial cancer and few options?

I'm sorry, Leigh.
I had really hoped it was nothing serious, when you mentioned your symptoms in another thread.

Chemo, as far as I've been able to ascertain, is not very effective in curing uterine cancer, and therefore is not used, except palliatively, to treat symptoms of uterine cancer that has metastasized (but keep in mind, I am not a medical professional, I'm just a hypochondriac who does a lot of research, so anything I say could well be wrong).

What I have come across in my research, however, is the repeated assurance that uterine/endometrial cancer is highly treatable, highly curable, and is therefore considered the "best" type of cancer to have, if you must have cancer at all.

Because it's so curable, increasingly doctors are looking at ways to cure it without surgery, especially in cases where women wish to preserve their fertility, or as in your case where surgery is not an option.

From what I've read, radiation alone can indeed be effective against uterine cancer, although of course your chance of a complete cure depends upon what stage your cancer is.

In early stage uterine cancer, even radiation might not be necessary, as it can actually be treated, reversed, and cured with hormone therapy alone- progestins such as medroxyprogesterone and Megestrol (Megace).

I'm currently on medroxyprogesterone myself, although not for cancer.
I'm finding it to be an easy medication to take, with few negative side effects at all, although I'm not sure how it would effect you, given your heart and kidney conditions; everyone reacts to medication differently.

Anyway, from what I've read, this is the treatment of choice for women with uterine cancer who can't have or don't want hysterectomies, and the cure rate is good, provided their cancer is in the early stages and has not spread beyond the uterus.

Please research these things.

I'm really sorry about your bad news, but I still think you have reason to be hopeful.
I think you mentioned in your other thread that you had only one episode of spotting, which suggests that your cancer is still in the very early stages and can hopefully be treated successfully by non-surgical means.

Still, though. Seriously, what dreadful news.
My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-19-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Please read and follow the Posting Policy of this board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
(female)

clementa HB User

Hi
I'm interested in the articles and studies you mentioned re Megace; how can I receive the links from you? Thanks.

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-24-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Removed Quote from prior post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
(female)

leighrealm HB User

Hi Kali333,
I"m Leighrealm (Robin) and you said you had some links on studies on alternative treatments for uterine cancer. I"m interested! The oncologist hates questions. I'd get a second opinion, but she said it looked aggressive. She's going for hysterectomy with Chemo. I don't want chemo. It's grade 3(maybe more) because it's in the cervix. My gyno. said it was early stage, but not sure now.She was optomistic and the oncologist isn't. < edited > Thanks

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-24-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or name.

Closed Thread