It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

ErinFB HB User
Post Cancer in the Uterus. Now having a Hysterectomy

Hello,

I routinely go in for my yearly PAP smear which has be normal for more that 10 years. I had issues with HPV when I was 19 with freezing, etc... Can't really remember it all. I am almost 42 and have 3 children so a hysterectomy isn't the end of the world since I have completed my family.

My concerns are:

When they give you a full hysterectomy, will they be able to get all the cancer out? Not really sure what stage it is, I am seeing the doctor for more details tomorrow and getting a 2nd opinion by a OBGYN/oncologist. The doctor seems to think the hysterectomy will resolve all the problems but I am paranoid that it has spread?

I had no symptoms, no bleeding, cramping anything. I have had an IUD in for 3 years so my periods had gotten really light but that's expected. This has been so unexpected and I am completely overwhelmed.

The doctor doesn't think any other treatment will necessary but I would love to hear from other with a similar experiences. I suffer from panic attacks so this has been really emotionally draining on me.

HELP!

Last edited by ErinFB; 01-11-2011 at 10:28 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ErinFB
dreamer80109 (03-24-2011), sjb (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Cancer in the Uterus. Now having a Hysterectomy

I'm sorry to hear this, Erin.
My understanding is that uterine cancer is slow-growing and not very aggressive, as compared to other cancers.
It's considered an easy cancer to treat- the cure rate is high.
My understanding is that 70% of cases or more are found in the very earliest stages (before they begin to invade other organs), and that in these cases a hysterectomy cures it completely, without the need for further treatment.
I don't think, however, that they can stage the cancer with 100% accuracy until after the hysterectomy, when the uterus will be sent to a lab and examined.

So yes, chances are very good that you will not need further treatment after your hysterectomy, but they won't know that 100% for sure until afterward.

Again, I'm sorry about your diagnosis. Uterine cancer is pretty rare in women under 50, so it's just plain bad luck that you have it. But good luck, I guess, that it's such a highly treatable and curable type of cancer.

I wish you a painless surgery and a speedy recovery.

Last edited by Kali333; 01-11-2011 at 01:41 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
ErinFB (01-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

ErinFB HB User

Thanks for the info. I know, it seems like I am young with none of the symptoms of uterine cancer. I am getting a second opinion tomorrow with an OBGYN/oncologist so we'll see what he says.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Well, it depends on the diagnosis. Make sure it is correct first of all. If it is very early stage or stage 1 or 2, then you may not need any chemo or radiation. Removal is enough. You don't want to get chemo unnecessarily. It is scary and no one wants it to come back.

I am in 10 year remission and I had chemo also. I had uterine cancer and it was high grade sarcoma in stage 3. I am cured because sarcoma in the uterine is rare. I had 50% chance in 2000.

Do you have cancer or is it just pre-cancer? Anyway I hope it will be fine and don't worry!
It depends on what the oncologist thinks. Check with the doctor thoroughly before you do anything.

Regards,
NC

Last edited by ninamarc; 03-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
ErinFB (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

ErinFB HB User
Smile Re: Cancer in the Uterus. Now having a Hysterectomy

Thanks NC for the response.

Well, I got a 2nd opinion and it wasn't Uterine cancer but cervical cancer which seemed even scarier. Since my last post, I have a radical hysterectomy (Feb. 25th) and am in the process of healing physically and emotionally. MY path results came back with no spread of cancer and it was a very early cancer so no other treatment is needed. I am having catheter problems right now, on my 3rd week with one because me bladder is " a little sleepy" It's a pain but I am grateful that I am through this process and on the road to recovery.

Hope you are well!

Erin

The following user gives a hug of support to ErinFB:
ninamarc (03-10-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Erin, I am glad you had done the surgery. It is good the cancer is gone. I hope it will be Ok because it is early stage. I am sorry that you have problem with your bladder. I was not so bad except I was weak afterwards and then I waited one month before I started chemo.
Be positive and I hope your bladder will recover ASAP.
Hugs,
NC

Closed Thread