It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

LMF64 HB User
Thickened Lining/Progesterone Questions

Hi~ A bit of history here, and then a question. Sister had uterine cancer 2 years ago at 46. At the same time, (I was 44) I had spotting after period, and had ultrasound, biopsy, etc..as I had a polyp. Came back normal. Spotting after period continued for 2 years. Had another ultrasound last summer and found I had a thickened lining. Did another biopsy and then a d & c. All came back normal. Was put on progesterone in Nov. Took it for 2 months, and during 2nd month starting bleeding very heavy 10 days after my period ended. Switched me to another type of progesterone pill. Continued on this for a few months and again have been bleeding very heavy every 2 weeks. Had a follow up ultrasound to see if progesterone has thinned lining, and it has, it is now in normal range. Have possible polyp still. Bleeding very heavy has continued every 10-14 days. Is this normal on progesterone? Dr was going to switch me to yet another brand, but it was $80 per month (after insurance) and I refuse to pay this much so I am still on the $20 brand. Will I have to be on progesterone until I go through menopause? I can't take this bleeding heavy every 2 weeks~ and it lasts for 7-10 days!! Help anyone??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
(female)

McRegnal87 HB User
Re: thickened endometrium

I think you should see if you can come off the progesterone and see if things return to normal, if they don't then maybe an ablation procedure could help with the heavy periods, although you can't conceive after this. I'd go back to your obgyn and ask for something different as it isn't easy living with heavy periods indefinitely. Regular ultrasound scans would keep an eye on the endometrium thickness. I had an ablation procedure at the age of 49 or 50 (can't remember) and have never looked back- so much better without periods

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

LMF64

I am a little confused about the progestrone thining your lining. When they did the D&C, did they not clean out the lining? Last time I checked, that is what the a D& C does. If your lining is again 5mm which would not surprise me because you are NOT in menapouse and that is actually normal if you had the ultasound close to your period. Which I guess you have never really stopped because you are on the progestrone.
I think I would strongly suggest that you think about going off the progestrone.
You never mentioned in your latest post whether an endometrial biopsy was every performed or when the D&C was done, did the doctor send the lining to pathology.
Just because I am me--I have now gotten into the habit of getting all of my reports--pathology, radiology (ultasound) orperative notes (from D&C). Having these reports helps me read what is said so that when I sit down with the doctor or later on if I have questions, I can inquire why the report says one thing and the doctor is interpreting it differently.

I would suggest sitting down with your doctor and discussing why the progestrone and what would happen if you stopped taking the medication. I would also discuss other alternatives to the hormone treatment.
Let me know how you are doing.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
(female)

LMF64 HB User

Oh Ladies- I am so thankful for your word of wisdom about this. Mc- No worries about having an ablation or not having kids after that. I am 46 and I have 4 kids already! I never had these continuous heavy periods before I went on the progesterone. Shisslak-I would get my period like clockwork..every 26-28 days, have it for 7-9 days and then start spotting again a few days later for a few days. This is what sent me to the Dr in the first place 2 1/2 years ago. They did a biopsy then, because my ultrasound showed I had a polyp, but it came back fine. 2 months later my sister found out she had uterine cancer and had a full hysterectomy. (All fine now.) Fast forward to this past summer when I had my physical they decided to follow up on me because I was still spotting after my periods and because of my sisters new history. My ultrasound showed a thickened lining (18 mm) and cysts and possible polyps in my uterus. They did a biopsy, which came back fine again, but my Dr decided we should do a d & c, because of my sister's history. My lab work came back fine from the d & c. I think he put me on the progesterone to keep my lining from becoming thick again? He said I was at a higher risk of a thickened lining becoming cancerous. I never questioned anything, because of course, I assumed the Dr knew what he was talking about. 3 months after my d & c and being on the progesterone, he said he wanted to do a follow up ultrasound to make sure the progesterone was keeping my lining from becoming thick again...Which it was thin at 5 mm, but I also still have a possible polyp. As I said, I have had nothing but period problems ever since I started the progesterone.... Thanks for listening and your words of wisdom ladies! I think I need to put a phone call in to my Dr to discuss this further!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

LMF64 HB User

Was on Spring Break, and didn't have a chance to call my Dr until today. I left a message with the nurse to have him call me because I have been bleeding since 3/19. I stopped bleeding for 3 days, and then it resumed again. I told her that I wondered if I should stop taking the progesterone, or if I should switch to a natural progesterin, or if maybe I had too much progesterin and not enough estrogen (due to taking the pills) which I read on a website that said that could cause bleeding as well. The nurse just called me back and said my Dr. wants to do another ultra sound on Friday to see what is going on. I said, What? Even though I just had an ultra sound 6 weeks ago and everything was fine? She said, yes, he wants to do another one. At $500 per ultrasound (we have to pay $6000 per year out of pocket until our insurance starts paying), do you think I really need to get another ultra sound, or should I just change Dr's and get a second opinion somewhere else?? (They may make me get another ultrasound as well, but I don't know what to do??) Anyone with thoughts on this? Wouldn't it make more sense to be off of the progesterone for a few months, and then do an ultrasound to see if it gets thick again when I am not on it? It is not as if this constant bleeding is new since I have been on the progesterone. I never had bleeding issues prior to being on it, other than I would spot a few days after my period due to my polyps. Now, all of a sudden, I am bleeding like crazy because of the progesterone. When I had my last u/s 6 weeks ago, and it was 5 mm thick, I had the bleeding every 2 week issue as well...this isn't something new since I had the last u/s. Sorry to ramble on, but I am just so irritated by this whole issue!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

^ that was the decision I made (to discontinue progesterone after only 1 month).
My doctor assured me that the D&C and polyp removal "was not a cure" for my problem (irregular bleeding), but merely a diagnostic tool to make sure I didn't have cancer or endometrial hyperplasia.
Well, I didn't.
She told me that the only way to treat my irregular bleeding was for me to take progesterone for three- or possibly six- months, beginning immediately after my D&C.
I took it for one month, hated the side effects, and decided to just stop and see what happened.
Well, what happened was that my cycle went back to normal and I haven't been troubled with irregular bleeding since (or any bleeding, now that I'm pregnant ).

I am convinced the polyp was causing my bleeding, and I think she should've waited to see what happened after removing it, before rushing to put me on progesterone.
As it turned out, there was no problem with my hormones.

Follow your instincts.
Progesterone won't kill you, but that doesn't mean it's good for you to take it if you don't actually need it. In fact, I'm certain it's not.

Best of luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
(female)

LMF64 HB User

Thanks for the reply Kali. I too have had recurrent polyps. I wonder if this has had anything to do with all of this?! I do have a question and wonder if you or anyone knows the answer. Can the d & c tissue show estrogen dominance or is a blood test the only way to determine this? I never had a blood test and am wondering how my Dr came to this conclusion.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMF64 View Post
Thanks for the reply Kali. I too have had recurrent polyps. I wonder if this has had anything to do with all of this?! I do have a question and wonder if you or anyone knows the answer. Can the d & c tissue show estrogen dominance or is a blood test the only way to determine this? I never had a blood test and am wondering how my Dr came to this conclusion.
In the course of investigating my irregular bleeding, I had both routine bloodwork (not sure what all it included- I know it was a Complete Blood Count to test for anemia or infection, and a test for thyroid function, all of which came back normal... not sure if there was anything else) and a D&C.

There was no mention of "estrogen dominance" (aka, progesterone deficiency), although I assume that's what my doctor thought I had, since she prescribed progesterone supplementation.

I do not believe I actually had progesterone deficiency, however, since I am 1. no longer having issues with irregular bleeding since my polyp removal, even though I didn't end up taking the prescribed progesterone and 2. pregnant, only a few months after all this. If my hormones weren't in balance, I don't think that would've happened.

So, I think doctors sometimes simply prescribe progesterone without even testing to see whether or not you're estrogen dominant/ progesterone deficient.

I could be wrong, but I think the only way to really tell if your progesterone is too low or your estrogen is too high is to do a number of blood tests to check your hormone levels throughout your cycle, since they fluctuate.
Maybe that's just too much trouble for some doctors. It was for mine, apparently.

Last edited by Kali333; 04-07-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
(female)

LMF64 HB User

Thanks Kali. I am pretty sure my Dr never checked my hormone levels and just put me on progesterone because that is the thing to do. I have an appointment on Wed with my sisters gyn that discovered her uterine cancer 2 years ago. Hopefully I will have some more answers then.

Closed Thread