It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

smbia HB User
What screenings for Ovarian and Uterine Cancer?

Hi there, Im writing this question due to the fact i have a sister that went thru ovarian and uterine cancer about a year ago. they actually found a grapfruit sized tumor that was missed when doing her hysterectomy.We have always had similar health historys so i have been very concerned with the possibility of genetically getting this as well. I have started going to a gynecologist and have regular paps, etc..even did the uterine biopsy and vaginal ultrasound, is this all i can do?

I went to my gynecologist to get the genetic testing but i dont think my unsurance covers it,,,3500$ Other than that i requested the ca-125 and the doc says to many false positives wouldnt be beneficial. So what DO you do in these cases, it appears the symptoms of these diseases are sometimes overlooked, everyone gets bloated stomaches once in awhile or lower back aches etc, any advice from any one else who has been in this situation my next step was to actually leave my doc and get established with the physician whom currently treats my sisters cancers,,as i feel like my docs dont take any of this very seriously. Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
(female)

smbia HB User
Re: What screenings for Ovarian and Uterine Cancer?

I do want to add i did have some severe pelvic cramping about 3 months back went to the doc and they said i had some fibroid tumors which were very common in women and not to worry, does that sound right??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: What screenings for Ovarian and Uterine Cancer?

There is the ca-125, but it is not very useful in premenopausal women, because there are many benign things which can cause false positives.

There is a trans-vaginal ultrasound, which can give the doctor a very clear and accurate image of the ovaries and the uterine lining.
From this, the doctor can see whether the ovaries are the right size and whether they have any cysts on them, and even what kind of cysts (functional or complex). The doctor can see the inside of your uterus, whether it has any unusual lumps or bumps, how thick the lining is.
If your lining is thick or suspicious-looking, the doctor might recommend an endometrial biopsy or even a D&C, so that the lining can be evaluated in a lab.

I cannot imaging a malignant tumor the size of a grapefruit (or any size other than microscopic, really) being overlooked, with all the technology they have today.
Your sister's doctor must have been horribly incompetent.
I would not worry about the same thing happening to you.
It must've been a one-in-a-million occurrence.

Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
danajane58 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

danajane58 HB User
Question Re: What screenings for Ovarian and Uterine Cancer?

You forgot to mention your age. I am 52 and have been through menopause for about 4 years. I have had spot bleeding but didn't know it was a factor. I have diabetes, quit smoking over a year ago. So I gained weight. I was already over weight. I have been back and forth to my doctor about back aches, they did an xray, some damage, I now have hip pain, they just say it's part of aging. Had bone scan and no problems, Was extremely low of vit D3 and hurt my teech to the extent of absesses.
The other day I had finally had it and another symtom came up My left hand was numb, and I started spotting. When I called they didn't even bring me in and decided to send me to a gynocologist encologist. I think that would be the type of doctor to see. These others are not that familiar with cancer. Anyway my lining was 14mm and they said I had a growth at the top of the Uterus. I guess in between the lining. I'm wondering if this could cause nerves to press on other organs to cause all this pain. They did a liquid papsmear and an internal ultrasound too. she said my ovaries were ok but I had several fibroids. No result on pap yet. Appointment is set up to do a biopsy in June. This is driving me crazy.
I am suppose to be moving in the middle of June to SC and I don't have help on this side. Has anyone had this type of symtoms?

Closed Thread