It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

EmmeSD HB User
Enlarged uterus does not always mean cancer

I'll be 55 next month. I had bleeding and pain, and some pink discharge, so went to the doctor, who did a transvaginal ultrasound, and told me my uterine lining had enlarged to 21cm. Normal is 4 cm or less and anything over that needs to be evaluated. I got a second opinion and two more ultrasounds, both transvaginal and abdominal. They did not reveal any masses or polyps. My doctor wanted to do a D&C, hysteroscopy, and biopsy it then. He said an in office biopsy would not be accurate enough. I had it done yesterday and during the hysteroscopy (where he looked inside my uterus) found a very large polyp, which he removed. He is certain that is what was causing my lining to be so enlarged. I have to wait on pathology to know for sure, but my doctor feels confident it will be benign. He said the tissue and surrounding tissue is a healthy color and he did not see any areas of concern and none that looked cancerous. I am confident it is not cancer. I am glad I went to the doctor when I did. But all you ladies out there who have an enlarged uterus, just remember my situation and know that it does not always mean cancer. If it is cancer, then it's good to find out when it is in the earliest stage when it can be successfully treated.

The Following User Says Thank You to EmmeSD For This Useful Post:
jamake (06-02-2012)
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
(female)

Betska HB UserBetska HB UserBetska HB User
Re: Enlarged uterus does not always mean cancer

I am happy this all went well for you and hope your results are as the doctor assumes as benign, I wanted to ask was there any other symptoms in the past months? Any bladder irritation like pressure? My last ultrasound I requested I am told is normal but it shows the endometrium lining overly thick for my age, I did get a rather heavy period 3 days later though and hope thats all it was. I am 46 still get my monthly cycle but its been 21 days now instead of 26 and first 2 days are bad lots flooding. I think I need go see a new dr and go get this looked at, anyway at the very least I might need the lining burnt to stop the periods or slow them for now, a friend who is 52 had exactly what you had and no ultrasound picked up the fibroids they only seen them wen they went inside. Probably what I have
hope all goes well and thank you for the post I am sure its helped alot who read it

The Following User Says Thank You to Betska For This Useful Post:
EmmeSD (11-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

EmmeSD HB User

Always get a second opinion if you're not comfortable with the first.
I had a very large polyp, and polyps are NOT the same thing as fibroid tumors. My biopsy came back good, I am so thankful! To answer your question, I, at times, felt pressure in my bladder. Since you are still having periods, it's possible that you could have fibroids that are causing the excessive bleeding. But any over growth in the uterine lining needs to be fully evaluated to rule out cancer so please make sure you go to a doctor who will rule it out. If an in-office biopsy is done, they only take one small area to test. A hysteroscopy needs to be done to look at the inside of the uterus and enough tissue taken for biopsy to make sure there is no cancer. Since you are still having your periods, it's not likely you'd have cancer
(it occurs mostly in post menopausal women) and the uterine lining may have just enlarged because of your period and if so, it should go back to normal size when your period is over. Thanks for writing! Don't worry about your situation but do go to a doctor who will fully evaluate you!! Blessings to you!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
(female)

Betska HB UserBetska HB UserBetska HB User

Sorry I got that wrong my friend had polyps too that were not seen on an ultrasound, another friend has had fibroids which are clearly seen on ultrasounds,the friend who went in to her dr was 52 she was then sent for a hystoscope plus biopsy and was told a currette, when she woke up the Dr said he removed 2 large polyps and all is fine now for her.
I have had about 7 or more ultrasounds in 2 or 3 yrs because of fallopian issues and I have noticed the 1 done last July 2010 was only 0.1mm the difference and considered normal for the part of my cycle I was at. I needed another scan in Sept 2010 and it was back to normal size so I can assume this time its nothing again. It is hard being I have massive adhesions inside from an exploded appendix when I was 8 and a severe fallopian infection when I was 26, the tube got so big that it attached itself to the bowel, anyway I suffer time to time with fluid buildup(hydrosaplinx) in the tube and just have to monitor this but my anual check up is in 5 weeks so just to be safe ill request blood test check for T cells(cancer) also a follow up ultrasound after my periods is finished to check its normal again. Thanks for advie and glad ur result was normal

Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

EmmeSD HB User

Sounds like you're on top of it! And that's great! I have two friends who have been diagnosed with uterine cancer. One in the earliest stage and the other in advanced stage. She ignored her symptoms for many months. I also have a 36 year old cousin who was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and she'd have never known it had her mother not insisted she have a mammogram. Her doctor didn't want her to have one until she turned 40 and said there was no need for one now. Was he ever wrong! She had to have a double mastectomy! So, in your case, I really don't think there is any need to worry BUT, you're a smart girl for requesting blood work or whatever else you need!! Let me know, please, after your checkup.
Many blessings!

Closed Thread