It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

Bellsy HB User
questions and fears about spotting

I took tamoxifen for 3 years after chemo/rads for breast cancer(dx sept.05). Once it was menopause was established, I switched to evista for 2 years. About 2 years ago, I had a ct scan done for what I perceived as bloating. The ct scan showed a small cyst (1.5 cm). Later tvus showed the cyst was slowly growing, and my endometrial lining was thickened to 5 something. My gyn thought this was all okay, and prescribed vagifem for vaginal dryness.

Last year the cyst measured 2.3 cm and my lining was down to a respectable 2 something, so no worries. I was having a little spotting and white mucous, but my gyn suggested it was just vaginal atrophy.

For the past several months, I've been having much more spotting--everyday. It is usually brownish tinged watery discharge. Sometimes it's almost greenish and sticky. I am 58. My grandmother and one aunt died of endometrial cancer or perhaps ovarian, and I'm a little concerned.

I am scheduled for another TVUS next week, and then I guess I'll have to have a biopsy. My doctor wanted to do one last spring, but I really thought I was okay.

Can someone reassure me? It's not bright red blood, but just a thinnish brown and sometimes red tinged watery discharge. I do suffer major fatigue, but my blood counts never returned to normal after chemo (6 years ago!), so it's normal for me. I do have pelvic pain, but I'm the world's biggest hypochondriac.

For those of you who had endometrial cancer, what was your discharge like if you had one? And for those of you who had something else (atrophy?), what was yours like.

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
(female)

Viola682 HB User
Re: questions and fears about spotting

Hi, I have just been dx with uterine cancer, well, doctor is still deciding, anyway it is metastatic adenocarcinoma, and it is in the womb, but whether cervix or womb that final call will be made this week.

Having said that, I have been doing a lot of reading up on uterine cancer, because every doc asked, did I have any kind of bleeding, or spotting, or discharge? So, basically, any of these, is a yes.. look out for uterine (endometrial) cancer, if any or all of these symptoms occur in a post menopausal female. I am not a doctor, so certainly cannot tell you what is true in your case, only that if it were me, I would go get it checked out, just to be sure.

Take Care,
Viola

Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

Bellsy HB User

Viola, Thanks for responding. Sorry to hear about your dx, and I hope that your treatment will be an easy and effective one. I know nothing about metastatic adenocarcinoma--and after even trying to do a brief search, I remain clueless. What makes it metastatic? That it went to a lymph node? You have a great attitude. When I was dx with stage 2b bc, I was a basket case. Just so much to learn so quickly, isn't it?

Anyway, Viola, did you have any discharge? I am having the ultrasound this week, and I hope I can tell something from the tech. I'm wondering if it could be that my postmenopausal cyst ruptured and is causing discharge. I stayed away from an endo biopsy last year in part because my lining had returned to a normal size and my gyn said it couldn't be endometrial cancer if the lining was normal. He still wanted to biopsy, but I felt then that the slight discharge was just normal. Now it's getting worse, so I'm willing. But it will probably be a long process...

Good luck again with your cancer, Viola. I read somewhere you were in pain, so I hope you've got that under control. I look forward to hearing that you are thriving!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

Viola682 HB User

Unfortunately for me, there was no spotting or discharge. When I went to the gyne oncologist, he could not do a biopsy of the uterus. About 10 years ago, I had, what I was told back then, a relatively simple outpatient procedure called radio-frequency uterine ablation. It was for cysts, or benign fibroids or something. Anyway, the ablation, they go in with this radio frequency, and burn away the endometrial lining, relatively painless and avoids a hysterectomy. The down side is, for me, it scarred the womb shut. So, the gyne oncologist said because it was scarred shut, my uterus swelled and swelled and swelled, all the blood and discharge built up inside me, and so the cancer grew and grew, undetected until finally I started getting such bad belly pain, I couldn't walk or talk, or barely breathe. The pain was my first indication anything was wrong.

Please go see a doctor, get a biopsy. I would give ANYTHING for this horrible disease to have been found earlier. Next week I will finally have surgery, to remove all what is cancerous in me, the uterus, lymph nodes, etc. After that, the rest of it starts, radiation or chemo, again, depending on if doc determines it is uterine or cervical, in origination.

What makes it metastatic? That is when the cancer is actively growing and spreading beyond the primary site. In my case, the cancer is all over the womb and nearby lymphs and in the retriperitoneal lymphs, too, so it is advancing. Thankfully, it has not targeted other organs yet, like bowel, bladder, liver, bone, etc. So I still have a really good chance to fight this beast.

You will do great, but we, we can only be our own best advocates. Don't take "no" for an answer. Make sure YOU are comfortable with the decision and actions taken, and that it all has been explained clearly. Take notes. Bring someone with you to help catch all the details. Bring any questions, all written down, with you. You have these rights.

Take Care,
Viola

Old 11-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

Bellsy HB User

I just had my transvaginal ultrasound done today. The only bit I could discover from my tech is that my lining is 7mm. Does anyone think this is thick for a postmenopausl woman. It has been 3 years or more since I took tamoxifen and I do have bleeding as well as a family history of vaginal cancer. I'm a little worried.

Closed Thread