It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

natagurl HB User
mom diagnosed with endometrial cancer

my mother has been having problems with her uterus for about 8 months, she has been having bleedings on and off and last month she bled for a whole month. she has been going regularly for check ups and biopsies and no1 found out its cancer, finally she got sick and tired of bleeding and decided to remove her uterus....she had a surgery last week and she removed her uterus, ovaries and tubes, last night her GYN called us and said that her uterus results came back from the lab and that it has tested positive for cancer, however she said it has not spread to the outer wall of the uterus, it was only in the 1/2 inner wall of the uterus and has not spread anywhere else outside the inner walls of the uterus.
we have no history of cancer in our family and my mom doesnt know yet the results, the GYN wanted to speak to my father first as my mom is prone to panic and she would bring even more illness upon herself if we told her anything.
i am 25 and my mom is 50, i am currently stuck in a hospital bed, i have a broken femur and a deep vein thrombosis and im not allowed to move from the hospital therefore i cant go to hospitals and ask around. her GYN told my dad that from her experience my mom is cured as her uterus,ovaries and tubes are removed and cancer was not spread anywhere but she says shes not an oncologist and cant guarantee 100% that she is ok.
i just wanted someones opinion on what to expect and what to do, i wanna have her whole body tested for cancer, how do i go on about that? can a blood test show if she has cancer? what am i to do and is her case lethal?
any advice would help

i am quoting her results:

a uterus with cervix, tubes and ovaries was received. the uterus measures 7.5x6x2.5cm. the lining is thickened and polypoid. No invasion is seen in the wall . The abnormal lining is involving the upper part of the cervix , the cervix measures 3.5x2.5x1.5 cm and was unremarkable. the left ovary and tube measures 3.5x2x1cm and 4x1x0.5 cm respectively and appear normal. the right ovary and tube measures 4.5x2.5x2 and 4.5x1x0.5cm and appear normal.
Blocks were taken as follows :
1- cervix
2- left ovary and tube
3- right ovary and tube
4- representative sections from uterus lining
5- upper cervix

Microscopic description:
sections show an invasive well differentiated adenocarcinoma, invasion is into the inner 1/2 of the uterine wall. no lympho-vascular invasion is seen.
invasion into the cervix is seen
the ovaries and fallopian tubes appear normal

diagnosis : uterus, tubes and ovaries - invasive well differentiated adenocarcinoma
figo grade 1
involvement of upper cervix
normal fallopian tubes and ovaries

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

Viola682 HB User
Re: mom diagnosed with endometrial cancer

Hi,

There is never anything wrong with getting a 2nd opinion. Cancer is pretty scary! From what I have read, uterine cancer, or endometrial cancer is among the most common cancers for women to get and it is usually diagnosed in Stage 1 because it's symptom is bleeding, and that is not normal for a post menopausal woman. Any woman who is postmenopausal and has any vaginal bleeding, spotting, or even a discharge should be checked for cancer of the uterus.
When it is in stage 1, and even stage 2, the most common treatment to cure the cancer, is surgery. Sometimes they include hormone therapy with that. It probably depends on the stage and grade of the cancer.

Hopefully by now your mom knows what is her diagnosis, she should be part of the team making decisions on how to handle her health.

Also, for you, take care and get yourself better, you won't do your mom any good if you make yourself sick worrying too much. I hope you get better, too! It can be frustrating to be immobilized.

Viola

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: mom diagnosed with endometrial cancer

Well CA125 can tell you if she has ovarian cancer or some uterus cancer. Has she done that one? The biopsy said it is cancer so it is. Do ask the doctor about what type of cancer it is.
Sometimes if it is clean and removed, you don't need to do radiation or chemo and just need to have annual or semi-annual check up to male sure nothing wrong.

It depends on the stage. Some people have radiation given stage 2/3 to make sure it is safe. Many people are cured. Uterus cancer is not that bad as long as you found it early.

Regards,
Nina

Closed Thread