It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

majorse7en HB User
Thickened endometrium/No bleeding

Hello....I am a 58 year old postmenopausal woman. I had a pelvic ultrasound in December that showed a 17mm endometrial lining. The doctor I saw did a biopsy and told me it was ok but that she wanted to do a D and C in a few months. I contacted a different doctor for a second opinion who suggested I go on Provera for 10 days to cause me to have a period. I took the Provera for the first 10 days of February and still NO period. Has anyone else had this problem? I had colon cancer in 2007 and am worried about it spreading to the uterus. I'm thinking I just may need to have a complete hysterectomy. Oh, the second doctor reviewed my biopsy and mentioned atypia. She also suggested a hysteroscopy and D and C. I have read other posts about a thick lining but with bleeding. I have had NO bleeding whatsoever. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User
Re: Thickened endometrium/No bleeding

Hi,
I've had a watery, bloody discharge for months. When I saw my gyn in September, she suggested a pelvic us with transvaginal. It showed a slightly thickened lining. I took progesterone to bring on my period with the intention that by shedding the uterine lining, this would take care of the thickend lining. Had endometrial bx in Nov. which showed hyperplasia. Had a repeat pelvic us 2 weeks ago which showed no change in the lining and a small ?mass/polyp. Last month I had 3 episodes of bleeding, 2 of which were less than a day and very light. The 3rd was very light but I bled for 12 days. So, I will have a hysteroscopy with a D & C in a couple of weeks. My gyn really thinks that she needs to go in and see exactly what this ?mass/?polyp is. So while you haven't had any bleeding, I think your doc is on the right track as far as her sugested treatment. Good luck and let us know what your outcome is. I'll post when my procedure is done and results are in. Amy

Last edited by ladyabby; 04-10-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

majorse7en HB User

Thanks for responding. I had an operative hysteroscopy/ D and C yesterday morning. A half hour procedure took an hour. I had some fibroids which the doctor took samples of and samples of the endometrium before scraping out the 18mm lining. I am recovering at home with some minor cramping and minimal bleeding. Now the wait for the pathology report. This is the worst part. I remember going through the agonizing wait when I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2007. Thankfully it was caught before spreading to any lymph nodes. Ladies,make sure you are proactive in your health. If you have symptoms, don't put off seeing a doctor. I was told by two different doctors that I had an internal hemorhoid(sp) when in fact I had a tumor. Because I have had colon cancer, the chances of having endometrial cancer for me are greater. I am thankful my new doctor pushed for the D and C. Will let you know my outcome. Please do the same.

The following user gives a hug of support to majorse7en:
aparadiseflower (04-11-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
(female)

majorse7en HB User
Smile Re: Thickened endometrium/No bleeding

Hi All,
I got my pathology report back and it's good news. NO cancer!! I am now considering going through with a hysterectomy just to alleviate any fear of cancer developing. More of a preventive surgery than anything else. It would be better now rather than when I am in my 70s or 80s. The only problem is it wouldn't be an easy surgery as I have had multiple abdominal surgeries for hernia repairs. I know there are a lot of adhesions and I have a mesh patch. I'm not sure how it would be done. Anyway, it's something I will be discussing with my GYN.
My prayers, good thoughts and lots of hugs to all of you.

The following user gives a hug of support to majorse7en:
aparadiseflower (04-18-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User
Smile Re: Thickened endometrium/No bleeding

Hi all,
Had my hysteroscopy on 5/11/12 and just got my results...all was benign. I had a large polyp that the doc had a hard time removing. Hope things are well with everyone. Amy

Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
(female)

francesg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorse7en View Post
Hello....I am a 58 year old postmenopausal woman. I had a pelvic ultrasound in December that showed a 17mm endometrial lining. The doctor I saw did a biopsy and told me it was ok but that she wanted to do a D and C in a few months. I contacted a different doctor for a second opinion who suggested I go on Provera for 10 days to cause me to have a period. I took the Provera for the first 10 days of February and still NO period. Has anyone else had this problem? I had colon cancer in 2007 and am worried about it spreading to the uterus. I'm thinking I just may need to have a complete hysterectomy. Oh, the second doctor reviewed my biopsy and mentioned atypia. She also suggesoted a hysteroscopy and D and C. I have hread other posts about a thick lining but with bleeding. I have had NO bleeding whatsoever. Anyone else have this problem?
Hi, three years ago I had a little spotting and that shouldn't happen after menopause. I was 60 yrs old and 100 lbs over weight when this started. Doctor said the fat cells were producing too much estrogen that was pouring into my uterus. With the endometrial lining being a 17 and the biopsy showing hyperplasia and atypia cells, the doctor did a D&C, put me on megace for a year and half. After another ultra scan that showed the lining wasn't thick and the biopsy showed complex hyperplasia, he was going to treat me like all his other patients. Approx. 10 months later I had a little spotting. Decided it was getting serious, as the doctor told me if this is left untreated would turn into uterine cancer. The doctor I was going to at the time didn't want to do a hysterectomy because of a chance of blood clots. Decided to change doctors and go to the doctor that delivered my childen. He's 80 yrs old. Had all my files sent to him. He said that he agreed with my first doctors treatment, but after another ultra scan showed the lining now a 20 and the biopsy showed cells that was one step from uterine cancer (atypia cells), we talked about surgery. My total hysterectony was done June 7, and I am now recovering. I had three doctors during surgery. My doctor explained after being put to sleep, a D&C would be done, sent down to pathology to be frozen tested. Testing showed no cancer. Did the total hysterectomy - doctor called June 15 and told me the final testing showed malignant cells. Since the malignant cells was not in 50 percent of the lining, no futher treatment is necessary. A few things I suggest - if you have surgery, be sure and ask them to give you a stool softener. The pain medicine will cause severe constipation. When getting out of bed, roll on your side (my husband helped putting my legs down or up on the bed) and push with your hands on the bed as you start to sit up.

Last edited by francesg; 06-21-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Personally, I would opt for the D&C since there is atypia (atypical cells that are not cancerous but could eventually become cancerous if left there to grow). That prodecure is no big deal, and cleans the uterus out. There should be followup afterward to monitor the endometrium. Never take estrogen therapy without progesterone intermittently, as that will cause the lining to keep building without shedding (having a period). That is what leads to uterine cancer. A hysterectomy seems to be overkill for this situation and can be considered later if this keeps happening.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
(female)

francesg HB User

Over the years there has been 4 D&C's done and the linning kept growing, because my fat cells are producing all the estrogen I will have to loose this weight to correct this problem. The doctor said that because my body is producing so much estrogen, I probably wouldn't have any problems that go along with a hysterectomy - such as hot flashes. So far I am doing great - so I probably won't need HT. So glad the hysterectomy was done.

Closed Thread