It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

wnorm HB User
Unhappy Uterine thickening at 60

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a 60 year old woman (in menopause for 5 years). I just had an ultrasound for something ungynecological. The radiologist found a 8mm thickeningof the endometrium. He did not see any malignancy on the ultrasound. I had been using estrogen cream periodically for vaginal atrophy which is common in post-menopausal women. I never took oral hormones. I only used small amounts of the cream once in a while.Last week, I had some spontaneous bleeding. Also I.ve been having some pelvic pain/discomfort lately, as well as bloating. I had a negative pap test in June. I have collagenous colitis, so I usually attribute any pain in my abdomen and pelvic area to IBD.
About 10 years ago , I had a ruptured ovarian cyst and had one ovary taken out.
The radiologist advised me to see my gynecologist soon. I brought the report to my gynecologist's group office. The other doctor who works there told me to wait until my doctor comes back. I have an appointment for a biopsy with my gynecologist mid-January, when he is back from vacation.

Should I worry? Do you think that I probably will have to get a hysterectomy?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User
Re: Uterine thickening at 60

Depends upon whether anything is found through the biopsy. I have had the biopsy and although I have not been told the stage my cancer is at I have been told I will need a hysterectomy as a minimum. I am worried mine has gone further as I have to have an MRI to check the extent and then I will have surgery. I have lower back pain now which I am worried means this is not at a early stage. I also have terrible wind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

wnorm HB User

Thank-you so much for your reply.How are you feeling? How many mm thickening did you have?How long have you been in menopause? Lower back pain may be coincidental. Also wind. Did the doctor make the correlation? When will you get definitive results? My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best wishes,
Harriet

Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorm View Post
Thank-you so much for your reply.How are you feeling? How many mm thickening did you have?How long have you been in menopause? Lower back pain may be coincidental. Also wind. Did the doctor make the correlation? When will you get definitive results? My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best wishes,
Harriet
I don't know my thickening level but now know it is grade 2 not sure what that means. Is it the same as stage 2?

The Following User Says Thank You to ces59 For This Useful Post:
wnorm (12-24-2012)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
(female)

NAE58 HB User

I want to share this with you--I want to thank God for all things, I am still going through but God got this. I went to doctors because I was bleeding alot and became anemic and had lower belly pain, bloating, after getting a D & C. And ultrasound, Biopsy.I was told I had a very thick lining 8mm. And the doctor was afraid it may be cancer. My world flashed by me so fast. I felt helpless and alone, scared and although I have love ones. Not even they could comfort me. I prayed to my God because he held my life in his hands. After all tests I was told that I have cancer cells (endometrial). And I am taking meds right now to see if it kills the cells. If not I will have to have a hysterectomy surgery. Either way. I caught the cancer before it could start. Doctor said I DO NOT HAVE CANCER they voiced this to me over and over to make sure i heard them. That i have cancer cells..thank you God. God is good all the time. Please pray that the pills will do it's job.the pills i'm taking is Megestrol Acetate 40mg once a day before meals

The Following User Says Thank You to NAE58 For This Useful Post:
wnorm (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
(female)

wnorm HB User

Thank-you. I appreciate your response. I'm still waiting for the results of the biopsy. The hospital Pathology dept. has the results but they can't tell me. The gyno is too busy to call . I just have to wait. THey let me know that this is not a priority. Oh well.
Good luck with your treatment. I hope you feel better.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
(female)

NAE58 HB User

Oh my! I'm sorry they are taking their own time on this important issue. they should know that a person would be stressing over this. shame on them. I pray they get to you asap. I remember going to hospital for a D&C they did a biopsy. the doctor came in to tell me what he saw. but told me he can't be sure until the biopsy come back. he told me he wanted to see me in a week. so when I went to my appointment that's when he told me the results. this was 5 months ago. this morning he did a internal ultrasound and he was pleased that the pills are finally working. he said in the beginning my lining was 12 mm . whew! i thought it was a 8. Today he said it's a 3 or 4 mm now. and in another month he will do another D&C to check again the cells. Thank you wnorm I pray your test be normal and you can close this chapter . hang in there and God Bless

Last edited by NAE58; 02-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
(female)

wnorm HB User

Thank-you. We have socialized medicine in Quebec, which means in laymen's terms: you can wait until the cows come home.Some doctors do care, though.I had a colon biopsy today during a visit scheduled for a hemorrhoid banding. I just told the colo-rectal surgeon my reasons and he complied. Otherwise I would have to make another appointment and go through the yucky prep again. I have collagenous colitis and I suspect I may have mastocytic enterocolitis as well. I have a multitude of food allergies and intolerances. Last week I convinced my gastroenterologist to take me off steroids and put me on a medication called Nalcrom. In the U.S. it's called Gastrocrom and is used for the condition and is covered by insurance. In Quebec, it is considered off-label and is not covered. It's a min. of $400/month. If that dosage doesn't work, it will be $800/month.
Best wishes

Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
(female)

wnorm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorm View Post
Thank-you. We have socialized medicine in Quebec, which means in laymen's terms: you can wait until the cows come home.Some doctors do care, though.I had a colon biopsy today during a visit scheduled for a hemorrhoid banding. I just told the colo-rectal surgeon my reasons and he complied. Otherwise I would have to make another appointment and go through the yucky prep again. I have collagenous colitis and I suspect I may have mastocytic enterocolitis as well. I have a multitude of food allergies and intolerances. Last week I convinced my gastroenterologist to take me off steroids and put me on a medication called Nalcrom. In the U.S. it's called Gastrocrom and is used for the condition and is covered by insurance. In Quebec, it is considered off-label and is not covered. It's a min. of $400/month. If that dosage doesn't work, it will be $800/month.
Best wishes
I just received my biopsy results yesterday. My gyno actually phoned me and asked to come to his office right away. THe report says" well-differentiated endometroid adenocarcinoma of endometrium. He wants me to have this new lind of "robotic surgery". I'm now waiting to hear from Oncology. At the least it will be a hysterectomy. They will stage it. I suppose they'll do that after the results of the surgery. I don't know yet. I'm still digesting the diagnosis. Of course I blame myself for a number of reaons. Should I have been doing more exercise? Shouldn't I have lost 10 pounds... My BMI is 25, so I'm not considered obese. Does anyone know the best site to read up on Uterine Cancer. Anyways, I'll update when I have more info.
How are you feeling? Are you getting any side-effects from the meds?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
(female)

Please don't blame yourself. Lets just hope you a stage 1a. Don't let them tell you that is your stage until after the op and the they have properly staged you. I was told I was 1a as a result of a hysteroscopy and an MRI. Following surgery they found all sorts of things they did not expect to see and now I am waiting for the result of multiple biopsies and restaging. You can imagine how I am feeling. I had adjust to having the mildest form but now it appears it is not. I will know more on Wednesday. Good luck to you.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
(female)

wnorm HB User

Thnk-you so much.With so much going on in your life, you are so kind to help me with my problems. You are a special person.
The update so far: I called Oncology at the hospital and I may have to wait weeks for a consult and months for surgery, if they have space to take me at all. My gyno is out of town until Tues. I will call me and get more details. They say that Quebec is a bad place to get sick. Socialized medicine is only good if you're willing to wait for the service. I just don't want the cancer to spread waiting.
Good luck.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
(female)

I don't think it can spread that quickly but you do need to get the op so they can look inside and see what the situation is. If it is contained in the womb it is probably the best cancer to have (if that can be possible). They say that the bleeding is the first symptom and usually means it is early on. Not in my case sadly but I am trying to be so positive - for my family if nothing else and my wonderful husband. My treatment in the UK Is national health so I don't get to choose when things happen. Having said that it has only been two months from first symptoms to this position. Don't put up with things. Demand help - it is your life. The more demanding you are the better you will feel about it. Is there no-one else you can talk to or another place to go for your treatment even if it involves travelling?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
(female)

wnorm HB User

How are you? What were your first symptoms 2 months ago? Did your doctor dismiss your complaints?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
(female)

My first symptoms was sudden post meno pausal bleeding but I had been treated for nearly 2 years for a dry and sore vagina that had made sex difficult. I used estrogen pessaries for 2 years that I was told was no riskk but since I got this I have found out are not available at this dose in th USA. And at the very least should be used for a limited time. I told my doctor I felt they had a part to play in my situation. She dismissed this. When I went with the bleeding I saw a temp doc - an old guy who had retired. It was obvious he knew as he put me on a 2 week cancer referral. I am slowly recovering from the operation. It has been less painful than I expected. But I'm tired all of the time. Just dreading getting the results on Wednesday as I know I'm going to be the highest stage that I thought. Best wishes

Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
(female)

wnorm HB User

I also used estrogen cream for several years. In fact I was just switched from premarin to another type. Also my urologist told me to use it for irritable bladder. No one thought to send me for an ultrasound or biopsy for years. I only started the investigation from a ultrasound for gall bladder due to nausea.
Good luck for Wednesday. Please tell me what happens.

Reply Reply