It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Uterine Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

tuckerdog HB User
7mm lining and not menopausal yet

I had bloodwork and an ultrasound performed because I had some post period bleeding for the first time last month and I've been having some digestive issues (constipaton, general discomfort but not consistent).

I met with the gyn today and he is recommending a uterine biopsy because my uterine wall is 7mm. No other remarkable findings on the ultrasound. He is calling me menopausal because my estradiol was 17 and my FSH was 75. However, I am still getting my period, albeit they are not regular (24 days, 29 days, 32 days but still monthly).

How can I be menopausal if I am still getting a period? The blood test was performed on day 12 of my cycle and the u/s was done on day 20.

Also, I had an u/s done back in November but no blood test and my lining was 9.2.

I am confused and thinking of getting a second opinion. I really don't want to do an invasive biopsy if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I welcome advice / personal stories similar, etc. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: 7mm lining and not menopausal yet

For one, 7mm isn't very thick even if you were in menopause. And given that you had the u/s on day 20, the range for endometrial thickness during this (secretory) phase of the cycle is 7 to 16mm so you're at the thinnest.

It is kind of odd that your FSH is so high even though you're still having periods. But if you're in perimenopause, the FSH can fluctuate wildly during this time. As far as the estrogen reading, it makes sense that it's low since the FSH is high since FSH is an indication that the ovaries need to produce more estrogen. But I've read too that some women just don't produce a lot of estrogen. They're more testosterone driven.

Are you taking any hormones or other meds that could skew the lab results? If you've never gone a full year without a period and are of perimenopausal age, another hormone test or even another u/s 1 or 2 days after your period ends (when the lining should be thinnest) may give a better picture and pacify your doctor.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

tuckerdog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
For one, 7mm isn't very thick even if you were in menopause. And given that you had the u/s on day 20, the range for endometrial thickness during this (secretory) phase of the cycle is 7 to 16mm so you're at the thinnest.

It is kind of odd that your FSH is so high even though you're still having periods. But if you're in perimenopause, the FSH can fluctuate wildly during this time. As far as the estrogen reading, it makes sense that it's low since the FSH is high since FSH is an indication that the ovaries need to produce more estrogen. But I've read too that some women just don't produce a lot of estrogen. They're more testosterone driven.

Are you taking any hormones or other meds that could skew the lab results? If you've never gone a full year without a period and are of perimenopausal age, another hormone test or even another u/s 1 or 2 days after your period ends (when the lining should be thinnest) may give a better picture and pacify your doctor.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for responding. I very much appreciate the info you passed along. I am researching a lot on line and there is a lot to decipher. I just found it so odd that he said I was menopausal when I just had my period last month. Could menopausal mean 'anovulatory' in the medical field? The reason I ask is because I don't think I ovulated last month prior to my period. Whereas this month, I feel as if I'm ovulating now (or at least my body is trying to) albeit it is late in my cycle.

I take no hormones at all and the only other 'meds' I take are vitamins (Biotion and Vitamin D every other day).

I agree with you about another u/s. I am surprised that the doctor didn't recommend that.

Honestly, what I plan on doing is speaking to another gyn for a second opinion. I don't want to miss something serious but at the same time I am not one to simply agree the doctor just because he is an MD especially when the test is an invasive one.

Again, thank you for your input.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I had actually mentioned that ovulations are sporadic during perimenopause but then removed that statement. I thought it might be confusing since anovulation is a lack of progesterone and FSH indicates a lack of estrogen. But at the same time after ovulation, estrogen levels are supposed to rise to build the lining for implantation so lack of ovulation would tend to mean lower estrogen. But hormones can go haywire during perimenopause so I think levels can be unpredictable including FSH. I suspect if you had it done at two or three points in your cycle, it would probably vary quite a bit.

I had an over-treatment experience and paid a big price for it. Granted, we don't want to dismiss something that may be serious but there's a lot of over-treatment and harm in the medical field.

Let me know what the other gyn says.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
(female)

tuckerdog HB User

I just wanted to post a follow up. I did see another gyn for a second opinion. I brought my u/s reports and the lab as well. In a nutshell, she completely disagreed with my gyn's statement that I was "menopausal". First, let me state that I got my period this month (day 40) but still got it. She said the 7mm stripe is totally normal for a periomenopausal women who is still getting periods and that the stripe would increase or decrease depending upon what day in the cycle the u/s was performed.

In terms of the labs, she stated that they do not use labs to 'diagnose' menopause as the hormones can fluctuate so much during a woman's cycle especially when one is going through the perimenopause years.

She does not recommend a uterine biopsy. If, for some reason, I bleed again after this period ends and then she said to call her and we would revisit the idea. But she stated that too can be common in perimenopause.

Reply Reply