It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

Do cancer survivers sometimes become paranoid about getting it again?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2015, 04:16 AM   #1
smergyl
(female)

smergyl HB User
Do cancer survivers sometimes become paranoid about getting it again?

This is on behalf on my husband. He had cancer when he was a kid (osteosarcoma of knee) and needed a big chunk of his bone removing and replacing with titanium. He was 15 at the time. He's had 2x revisions since to replace the top part I believe, something to do with the bone crumbling away. Now he's 43 and every little illness he has he thinks it's cancer.

He recently had a sore throat, stressed himself out into a state and saw the doctors, they said lymph nodes were swollen but it'll go on it's own, no treatment needed. It started to go off but then came back again (I think because he was so stressed). He went to the doctors again, they said it seemed to be going off so again, no treatment needed. I think it went off but he became really aware of everything going on with his throat/neck. Mouth ulcers, felt a lump in his throat, chest pains. He phoned 111 and after mentioning the chest pains they told him to go to A&E (thanks you gits). So stressed out to hell we went through to A&E and they weren't very nice about it. Said there was nothing wrong with his throat or mouth and he should go home. Now he feels bad for wasting their time.

I guess I'm trying to gauge how common this is for someone who has had cancer, survived and led a fairly healthy life following the event. Does every ache/pain/infection you get make you anxious about cancer?

Anything help make it better?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
joey2000
(male)

joey2000 HB User
Re: Do cancer survivers sometimes become paranoid about getting it again?

Most if not all cancers have some chance of recurring...some smaller than others, but given the potential threat to one's life, I think it's more than reasonable to have at least some concern. However it sounds like yes, he is taking it too far and lives in almost constant fear. It's bad enough when it's there to be stressed, but why let it ruin one's life? Not sure how you address it, but sounds like it really needs to be.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
Froodie
(female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

Yes, I've had it and I do worry but not to the extent that it's ruining my life. I'm generally happy and carefree. Your husband needs to have some therapy to get over the constant worry.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
dmize23235
(male)

dmize23235 HB User

sadly i worry everyday that my cancer will return,,,every ache or pain sends me into panic,,,,i try to deal with the anxiety of it but i dont handle it well...

Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Erbse
(male)

Erbse HB User

My father had the same problem with fear after he had battled with cancer. It is perfectly normal to be afraid and even more so justified with cancer, but if the fear actively ruins one's life, then something has to be done. Has your husband tried therapy or support groups? My father went to a sg and connecting with other people who shared his experience really helped him.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
scarlett77
(female)

scarlett77 HB User

I am "paranoid" about cancer return because I have experienced the return of my cancer - technically, it was the development of 2 new cancers so - I have had three primary cancers.

I started out with breast cancer requiring surgery, chemo and radiation (I had two full years of infections following my lumpectomy...). When I was at the 5 year mark and ready to celebrate being cancer free - I had some weird vaginal bleeding so I went to my GYN. She did a biopsy in her office which came back negative but she still wanted to do a hysterectomy - during the surgery she found two additional cancers - uterine and fallopian - for a total of three separate primary cancers... So - more chemo - bald again and now cancer free for 9 years...

I am not a "noble cancer survivor". By which I mean that I live with daily fear of cancer return. I spent years staying home with my nightgown on - as I write this I am still in my nightgown at 8 pm. I do not do this every day but fairly often. I live as if I were a "sick person". I'd love to be able to say I have it all figured out and I face the world with courage and a positive attitude. It is not true, however. I am also diabetic so I have a host of health issues.

If your loved one lives in constant fear of cancer return, my suggestion would be to find a good therapist or psychiatrist. I wish I had done that much earlier. I should take my own advice as a matter of fact. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes, however, it is impossible for you to understand the fear involved with a cancer diagnosis.

Just be kind and encouraging... and realize it is a complex issue that is intensely personal for each person who has a cancer diagnosis. We are not all "noble cancer survivors" nor should we be expected to fill that role. Just love us and try to understand us. Our health is enough to deal with without having to add the possibility of disappointing our loved ones because we are not noble enough for them...

I am lucky enough to have a wonderful loving partner who has been impacted by my cancer in her own ways...

Last edited by scarlett77; 06-03-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
renko
Veteran
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User

Hi Scarlett, I am from Oakland, CA too. I have had two cancers myself in the last 15 years, breast with chemo and radiation and bladder. I am cancer free but there are times if there is a change in my body or a spot I haven't seen before I try to be proactive and ask the doctor about it but I am so truly thankful and full of gratitude for being able to find cancer early and be alive to tell it. Life is so full of uncertainties and I am thankful that God will use me in this life until He is done and will take me to heaven. I hope in the last six months you have found peace and fulfillment and are able to enjoy life and those around you. Cancer is scary but if you get it early many times it can be taken care of and we are both examples of that. Best wishes to you and I hope 2017 will bring you peace and happiness.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
TheLegend27
(male)

TheLegend27 HB User

The thought of dying or being sick is hard for alot of people to think about or even accept. Your husband has become a hypochondriac due to his experiences, much like myself I've been diagnosed with afib and although its not anywhere near as dangerous as cancer it still causes anxiety so i can only imagine how cancer patients or ex cancer patients must feel. He should talk to a therapist.

Reply Reply