It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2003, 09:36 PM   #1

jkc120 HB User
Unhappy Very small, hard lump on testicle; does transilluminate

I'm awaiting a Doctor's appointment on Friday, but I wanted to post anyway.

I've been doing a lot of research on testicular cancer and I seem to fit the diagnosis so closely I'm scared out of my mind.

Previously (about 5-6 years ago +, don't recall) I went to a urologist to have them look at my right testicle because it is quite a bit larger than my left. They did an ultrasound and blood screen but found nothing abnormal.

At the time, I had just had surgery for unilateral gynomocastia on my left breast.

A week or so ago I found a very tiny, painless, and hard lump on my right testicle. I can't tell where it is (front/back/side) really because I don't know which is the front or back/etc (location/orientation of the testicle varies). It seems like it's on the side, but very very close to the back. It's almost like it's on the "corner" if you will.

It is not free moving (appears to be "in" the testicle itself). If I had to guess the size, I'd say 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a normal pea, but it's difficult to tell. It's kind of tough to find unless my scrotum is very loose and relaxed. If I pull the scrotal skin somewhat tightly around the testicle it doesn't appear to produce a noticable external lump, again due to the apparent small size.

I thought I'd noticed this a while ago (2-4 months or more), but at the time concluded it was one of the hair follicles in the scrotum.

I have tried to transilluminate the testicle and don't see any dark spots where I feel the small lump.

The reason I'm so scared is because it's very hard and on the testicle itself and I've had gynomocastia in the past (thought not now). Also the extreme size difference is worrisome (though as I said it's been that way for many years). My left testicle is small enough that it can slip back up into the groin cavity - wish I knew if I had one or both undescended testes when I was little, though I *think* perhaps my left one was undescended for a little while when I was little.

Thanks in advance!

* I forgot to add that I am 26 years old. Thanks!
** GOSH! I just realized I put "does not transilluminate" - I meant the opposite! I can't see any dark spot when I shine a flashlight through the back and locate the lump on the opposite side. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by jkc120; 11-19-2003 at 10:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Re: Very small, hard lump on testicle; does transilluminate

Do you know why you had gynecomastia? Was there some hormonal abnormality?

Old 11-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #3

jkc120 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by projapoti
My doctor at the time wasn't sure. He suspected part of puberty, though he mentioned some other rare things that were linked with it that were not hormonal based and some of it fit the bill, so I'm not sure if he knew exastly what caused it.

Update: I went to my doctor and he said he couldn't feel anything. No surprise, it was cold in the room. He said that if he couldn't feel it, it wasn't something to worry about, but I persisted and have an appointment with a urologist 12/8. But that's like 17 days away! SHEESH. He said this was "nothing" in terms of cancer time. He really didn't generally seem concerned. I'm afraid he couldn't feel it because the scrotum was so tight So now I have to wait nearly 3 more weeks to find out. ARGH!

Old 11-21-2003, 12:26 PM   #4

jkc120 HB User

Quote:
I should also add that he seemed to be looking for something larger that would be easily found.

Like I said, I _think_ I found this same thing 2-4+ months ago (can't remember), but at the time shrugged it off as a hair follicle in the scrotum. I don't think it's any larger than it was back then, but I can't be sure because I wasn't really feeling it for size at the time.

What I don't get is every TSE guide I've seen says to look for a lump the size of a pea or larger (typically), but this is much smaller, and isn't conveniently located in the middle of one side (if I'm judging the side correctly that is - how do I know it's not the front or back??). It can't be for sure, but it feels like it's on the side but very, very close to the back and near where I think the epididymys would kind of spreak like fingers around the sides of the testicle to some extent.

I guess I'm just confused. He's the expert, but I definitely feel a small lump. Him not finding it all doesn't give me ANY peace of mind.

Old 11-22-2003, 02:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi jkc- You are probably okay and this "thing" is of no consequence. However, I totally understand your not being reassured yet...Is there any way you can call the urologist's office to plead for an earlier appt? Or at least ask them to call you if they have any cancellations.

Hang in there...hope you can get in earlier though, just so you can get this out of the way, once and for all.

zuzu xx

Old 11-22-2003, 08:43 AM   #6
Inactive

projapoti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc120
I should also add that he seemed to be looking for something larger that would be easily found.

Like I said, I _think_ I found this same thing 2-4+ months ago (can't remember), but at the time shrugged it off as a hair follicle in the scrotum. I don't think it's any larger than it was back then, but I can't be sure because I wasn't really feeling it for size at the time.

What I don't get is every TSE guide I've seen says to look for a lump the size of a pea or larger (typically), but this is much smaller, and isn't conveniently located in the middle of one side (if I'm judging the side correctly that is - how do I know it's not the front or back??). It can't be for sure, but it feels like it's on the side but very, very close to the back and near where I think the epididymys would kind of spreak like fingers around the sides of the testicle to some extent.

I guess I'm just confused. He's the expert, but I definitely feel a small lump. Him not finding it all doesn't give me ANY peace of mind.
Guys tend to be very hypervigilant when it comes to problems with their testis....the thing you're feeling might actually be the epididymis...but I do understand your concern, and hopefully the urologist will be able to sort this out for you.

Old 11-22-2003, 12:15 PM   #7

jkc120 HB User

Quote:
Guys tend to be very hypervigilant when it comes to problems with their testis....the thing you're feeling might actually be the epididymis...but I do understand your concern, and hopefully the urologist will be able to sort this out for you.
Yeah, I've considered the possibility that I'm being oversensitive, but it is definitely ON/IN the testicle. I can rotate it around inside the scrotum and still feel the lump.

I just don't know front from back from sides, really. Because in certain positions, it's almost as if it's on the "corner" as I said before, but it's still on the teste itself. I thought the epididymis wasn't attached? If it is somewhat attached, I guess it's possible that it is on the very edge of the attached part, hence its location near the back/side.

Old 11-22-2003, 12:17 PM   #8

jkc120 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Hi jkc- You are probably okay and this "thing" is of no consequence. However, I totally understand your not being reassured yet...Is there any way you can call the urologist's office to plead for an earlier appt? Or at least ask them to call you if they have any cancellations.

Hang in there...hope you can get in earlier though, just so you can get this out of the way, once and for all.

zuzu xx
Thanks for the reassurance...I wish he'* found the lump at least so he could tell me where it was. But how can he feel it when it's so cold in there and he has rubber gloves on? I doubt I would feel it either. I'm worried when I go to the urologist it'll be the same story. sigh.

Thanks for the response, though. I called the urologist and they said they don't have anything earlier. This is going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life I think. I'm considering just finding another CIGNA PCP and going for a 2nd opinion in the mean time.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:58 AM   #9

jkc120 HB User

Well, just an update. My appointment with the urologist is on Monday.

I've started to experience some other symptoms, but I'm not sure if they're related or not. I've been having some minor pain (more like a dull ache) in my lower back, around the waist. If I gently feel where the ache is centered, I think I find lymph nodes. There are a couple which feel like they're between my skin and the back of my hip bones, then there are two that are below my waste line, kind of just below the skin of my upper butt. I've also had a ache, though less frequently on my hops themselves, and felt a lump there (right side) which I think is another lymph node.

I think I've also lost 7-8 pounds over the last 3-4 weeks, with only very minor changes to my diet, though my scale might be inaccurate.

Closed Thread