It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #1

Mimma HB User
Can it be Vulvar cancer? Please help!

Hello,

My body has been werid lately. I thought I had a yeast infection caused by possible HIV..so I start to worry about my encounter giving me this illness. But then I find a little lump on my vulvar...might be an ingrown because i see a little pimple sort of thing in the middle of the lump. I do research and find out that this itching for almost a month and this lump I have and the fact that I have HPV 16 can mean I got Vulvar cancer! But how? if every three months I get checked because of the HPV? Wouldn't they detect the Vulvar cancer? The last time I got a pap smear was four months ago..can cancer of the vulvar develop so quickly? When my last pap four months ago was fine?

Mim

Old 07-20-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Can it be Vulvar cancer? Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimma
Hello,

My body has been werid lately. I thought I had a yeast infection caused by possible HIV..so I start to worry about my encounter giving me this illness. But then I find a little lump on my vulvar...might be an ingrown because i see a little pimple sort of thing in the middle of the lump. I do research and find out that this itching for almost a month and this lump I have and the fact that I have HPV 16 can mean I got Vulvar cancer! But how? if every three months I get checked because of the HPV? Wouldn't they detect the Vulvar cancer? The last time I got a pap smear was four months ago..can cancer of the vulvar develop so quickly? When my last pap four months ago was fine?

Mim
Vulvar cancer wouldn't really present like a pimple like lesion. I'm not sure about your personal grooming habits, but if you shave your pubic hair, it is very common to get a small abscess where a hair follicle has been infected, and that will obviously go away. One thing I hate about the internet in giving out symptoms of things is that they'll mention a symptom that's associated with cancer (for example) but is not specific to it. In other words, there are tons of other, much more likely explanations for the itching. But because people are so afraid of cancer, they get scared.

Vulvar cancer will present as itching, but there will also be ulceration (i.e. the area is raw, irregular borders, the deeper layers of tissue exposed) and bleeding. From what you're saying, this sounds just like a pimple. That said, it is very bad to try to characterize lesions on the internet when you can't see them. If you're that concerned, go to the doctor.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? Have you had any problem with cervical dysplasia (i.e. any abnormal paps).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 07:30 PM   #3

Mimma HB User

Hi There,

I am 21 years old. I went to the doctor today and she said the lump looked like an ingrown. What I did not liek about her was everything that came out her mouth was "it looks like" and "It might be" Its like isn't she the doctor? But the lump shrunk which led me to believe that it was an infected ingrown thingy. I had this infection for a month and it is to the point that I am getting depressed. I can't even have sex with it! It has been more than a month. She gave me a prescription for a one time pill or something but it cost almost fifty dollars because my insurance did not cover it, so I bought monistat 7 and I am hoping it will work. My guy has been frustrated but I dod nto think I can have sex while using it so oh well...Is Monistat 7 pretty good? Even for an infection that lasted a while? Thank you for your help.

Mim

Old 07-21-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

No...monistat is not good for your infection. Monistat covers yeast infections of the vagina (and by vagina, I'm not referring to the vulva...I'm referring to the actual canal inside), and will not cover the bugs that's giving you the infection on your vulva.

I can understand your frustration with the doctor's manner of speaking, but that's not out of the ordinary. S/he wasn't implying ignorance when using those terms. And remember something else, no matter how experienced a doctor is, there are often things that come around which s/he hasn't seen.

In your cause, however, ingrown hairs on the vulva are common and need to be treated with something that covers either Staphylococcus or at least anaerobic bacteria (i.e. the ones that tend to form pockets of pus).

Out of curiosity, what was the name of the drug your doctor gave you? Also, why is the lump keeping you from having sex? Is it a shyness thing or does it really hurt?

Closed Thread