It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2001, 02:45 PM   #1

mpd HB User
Post endometrial cancer & Radiation Proctitis

Two years aga at age 42, I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer stage 1 with early spread to my cervical area.

I had a hysterectomy, followed by 25 external and 3 internal sessions of radiation.

I had severe diarrha through my treatment, which continued several months after treatment. To date, I still experience this sudden urge to "go".

In addition, I hve now been diagnosed with Radiation Proctitis, which is a late effect of the radiation.

Please, if any one out there has had or is experiencing this problem (rectal bleeding, pain, mucos discharge)I would like to hear from them. I'm scared that this will lead to rectal or colon cancer later on, and I don't think I have the strength or courage to fight another cancer.

I lool forward to your replys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2001, 01:54 PM   #2
Inactive

norfin HB User
Smile

Hi There,

Glad I found someone who knows what radiation proctitis is. I am 42 female, diagnosed and treated last year for stage 3 cervical cancer. I too had the external and internal radiations and chemotherapy.

[This message has been edited by norfin (edited 01-14-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2001, 10:42 AM   #3

mpd HB User
Thanks to Shirley for your email reply. I was beginning to think I was the only one having this problem, so reading your reply was realy special and heartwarming. I hope you are doing well.

For me some days I feel better than others, but overall it is affecting the quality of my life (both work and social).
I share your symptoms and concerns about this problem getting worse. Just like you, my doctors aren't giving me much in the way of hope of a possible cure. I've been put on daily Iron tablets for the past two months since my HB was low.

I have a check up with my oncologist tomorrow, and I hope to get some clearer answers.

I hope you have a lot of support from family and friends through your illness and recovery, but I sometimes feel that despite all this, it is hard for family and friends and even my bosses at work to truly understand what I face every day with this Proctitis.

When I have a bad 'bleed', I tend to get depressed and anxious about my future, because I know if it gets worse, then it could affect my ability to work, and I'm no where near retirement age.

Everyone says not to get stressed, but sometimes it hard not to. I'll keep you posted as to how my check up goes, and look forward to hearing more from you on your progress. I feel so much better knowing that someone else understands what I'm going through.

Bye.

Old 08-15-2001, 05:24 PM   #4
Inactive

norfin HB User
Smile

Hi My Dear Friend,
I waited and waited for you to come to the board after I posted my message. I've been doing alot of research on the net and I found someone in UK with Proctitis that has sent me very valuable information. Here is the website, check it out, it does make sense the diet and all, [url="http://www.proctitispages.f9.co.uk/."]http://www.proctitispages.f9.co.uk/.[/url] I know how you feel. My husband and 18 year old daughter try to understand, but you know how it is you can't really explain to them why you can't go here, or go there, or eat this, or that you're just not feeling good. I get burning in the stomach at times.

How on earth do you work with this? I work at home as a counselor. I swear this bowel runs me, I'm scared I'm gonna get an attack in the car, or store, and YES! I too go into anxiety and definetly depression. I just don't feel human at times. I wish my Dr. would have told me I'd be facing this disease after treatment. This proctitis started up 2 months after all my treatments, what about you? Do you have a hard time sleeping? I suffer insomnia terribly. I'm 42 and so scared all the time since this happened. Please do let me know how it goes at the Dr's. Did they give you any enema's or medications for yours? I hear none of it works. I was gonna ask my Dr next month when I go for check up. I hate those check-ups, talk about anxiety, I'm sure you feel the same. Anyway I'll go for now, it was GREAT meeting you. Feel free to contact me at my email address, sugee@mail.com ANYTIME you'd like to talk or need a FRIEND! God Bless You!

[This message has been edited by norfin (edited 01-14-2003).]

Closed Thread