It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2002, 09:02 PM   #1

seldon HB User
Post things that cause cancer

on tv they are always giving warning about how things 'might' cause cancer. are there any houshold products they are almost sure causes cancer? say ...more then a 50% chance of causing cancer?

Old 06-16-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

I think there are a lot of household products that could cause cancer if we were exposed in large enough amounts. I did a search on the internet and did not find enough concrete evidence.

I suppose as soon as someone finds out definitely that a household product can cause cancer, that they would pull it from the market. My take on all of this is to avoid the fumes from all those cleansers, paints, and gasoline etc.

One thing they do know. If one smokes enough cigarettes, drinks lot of alcholic beverages, doesn't exercise and has a lousy diet, their chances of getting cancer skyrocket. Preventative care is important, by the things that we eat or put in our mouths.

What you bring to our attention is important too. There's so many toxins out there that could later be determined to be bad for us. I think caution and avoidance is probably best. I know that I try to stay away as much as possible....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Rhody, you've put it in a nutshell!

However, I'd like to add something here...Life causses cancer! Some doctors say that if we all live long enough, we will all eventually get cancer.

So, by all means, avoid the things you know are bad for you (smoking, sunburn, excess alcohol, high fat diets, etc.), but live your life to its fullest. If you spend all your time worrying about what you might get, you'll have wasted some of the best times you could have had.

Old 06-16-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Another way to look at what is meant by "things that cause cancer" is to look into the biochemical nature of cancer.

This brings in the notion of susceptibility - certain variations within some genes indicate a much higher risk of cancer, i.e. the chance that the DNA will somehow breakdown, mutate, translocate with another gene or fail in some other way.

Once you know your personal risk, you can then make a more informed decision about which environmental factors would be most hazardous to you.

Old 06-19-2002, 10:06 PM   #5

seldon HB User
ah i see. all good answers, thank you.

Closed Thread