It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2002, 10:14 AM   #1

pj lky HB User
Post disability after kidney removal for cancer

hello.it has been 2 months since i had my kidney removed due to renal cell carcinomia, my doctor states that they removed it all, but i have read after follow up cat scans in some cases the cancer has progressed to other areas , should i continue to be aware of this danger or just take his word. also after this i am having a hard time after my return to work ,i work in a clinic setting and had to stop after the first day.even though my doctor assures me that i AM healing properly.it still takes awhile to get back to normal if ever. is their any information out their to help me. thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2002, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Often, in addition to CT-scans, follow-up blood tests are done to check specific protein levels. Keep track of these results and how you feel, as this will also tell you how well you're recovering. The Merck Manual has normal ranges/values for every type of blood/chem test.

Something else to pay attention to during recovery is your nutrition. This link is to cancer patient nutrition information/tips:
[url="http://www.seattlecca.org/patientsandfamilies/nutrition/genOncnutrition/nutritionTips.htm"]http://www.seattlecca.org/patientsandfamilies/nutrition/genOncnutrition/nutritionTips.htm[/url]

Good luck,
Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2002, 07:01 PM   #3

pj lky HB User
THANK YOU JAY
THAT INFOMATION WAS VERY HELPFUL MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

Old 06-24-2002, 05:31 PM   #4

Just_V HB User
Hi PJ...
My mother had her kidney removed in January of this year. It took a good 4 or 5 months before she really felt better. She got tired alot and had some pains, but it all takes time. In fact, just a couple weeks ago she told me she had the first day that she really felt "normal" since her surgery.
As far as going in for the CT scans, yes...you will need to go on a regular basis for check ups because this cancer can spread to other areas quite easily, and even after the kidney has been removed.
Early detection is the key, and I'd listen to your doctors. Don't delay the re-checks, and try not to fret too terribly much. I'm sure you had the CT and bone scans prior to your surgery, and if they looked good then, chances are you'll be cancer free.
I hope you feel better soon. Try to relax and take it easy...don't push. Your body went through alot, and it takes a while to heal.
Best of luck to you!!!

-Just_V

Old 06-24-2002, 06:12 PM   #5

pj lky HB User
THANK YOU VERY MUCH V FOR THAT ENCOURAGING INFORMATION.
PJ IKY

Old 06-27-2002, 05:11 PM   #6

jerriel HB User
my mother had her kidney removed in 1965 due to cancer she was ill for quite some time due to her treatments she was 46 years old at the time. Mom died in July of 1994 of lung cancer totaly as a result of cigarette smoking and totally unrelated to the cancer she had in her kidney 29 years ago. After her kidney removal and her recovery from treatment she lived a perfectly normal life but she never failed to have her 6 month check up for nearly 30 years.
God Bless and stay well.
I hope this alleviates some of your worries so you go ahead and live and love your life.
Jerri

Closed Thread