It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2002, 12:49 PM   #1

lallo HB User
Question cancer? can u lie?

it is so stupid to ask this. but we have a common friend who told us she has cancer
she has is in her bone marrow
i know a lot of ppl who got cancer and who got very thin becuz of the illness- she is in perfect health, no getting thinner, going to aprties attending regularly classes
so one of our friend asked a doctor who says that the girl is lying about having this kind of cancer -
but we have no idea if she is or isnt
cuz she says it doesnt spread .. and she cant have surgery. radiotehrapy failed
we donno what to think + she's not losing her hair

so what now is she or not lying????
help

Old 06-23-2002, 04:10 AM   #2

Chemo-Girl HB User
Hey!

She is almost certainly not lying.

You only lose your hair with radiotherapy to the head and certain types of chemo. If she isn't having those chemos then she won't lose her hair.

You don't neccessarily lose wait during cancer treatment. I didn't. Some gain wait due to steroids.

I recently had radiotherapy and 6 months chemo. I attending classes everyday apart from when I was in the chemo ward. I was tired after chemos but otherwise in pretty good health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2002, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Chemo Girl -
Thanks for setting the record straight. It drove me nuts when I was going through chemo and radiation when people said, with extreme surprise, "but you look GREAT!"...well, of course I did. I, too, gained weight during chemo. And, most people look fine in the early stages of cancer. It's usually when the cancer becomes more advanced and they are having more frequent and stronger treatments that they start to look like they're sick.

Also, as chemo girl pointed out, you only lose your hair due to radiation if you have radiation treatments to the head.

Also, not all chemotherapies cause hair loss.

So, it's quite possible your friend is telling the truth.

Old 06-24-2002, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
I agree - not all chemo/radiation therapy causes hair loss. There was a toddler in our HEM/ONC ward whose hair didn't fall out until she underwent the work-up chemo for bone marrow transplant. And, she hardly ever looked 'sick'.

Your friend may have mentioned the cancer because sooner or later she will show some signs of having it. This way if she does have to miss school or start to look ill, you'll understand. As long as she is undergoing any type of treatment - and for many months after - pls be extra careful because she can catch colds, flus, chicken pox and everything else very easily. And, all of these "minor" ailments can be extremely dangerous for her especially if her bone marrow is affected. [The bone marrow produces all of blood cells including the white blood cells that help fight infection. If her white cells aren't being made properly, or if not enough are being made, then her body cannot fight ANY germs that she is exposed to.]

Old 06-29-2002, 12:38 AM   #5
(male)

Joseph15 HB User
i had chemo 6times, once a fortnight, they said id`e lose my hair, i didnt, they said id`e put on weight, but i accually lost about 14kg, it effects everyone differently, depending on how ur body reacts to the treatment, lost hair on the back of my head to the radiation tho

------------------
J.F

Old 06-29-2002, 04:02 AM   #6

jerriel HB User
My mom had chemo and never lost a strand of hair so that is no indicaton of cancer also you should be kinder to your friend because wheather she has cancer or not she is sick as no one goes about saying they have cancer with out being sick in some way or other, and it is not up to her friends to question that.
Jerri

Closed Thread