It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2002, 06:48 AM   #1

penny07 HB User
Question thorat sore

i need some advance my thorat has been sore for months now. went to the doctor had step so put me on antibotics we didnt get better then she put me on a diffrent kind well that helped. Then it came back again it hurts so bad im begining to get worried it goes a way for a little while but always comes back my doctor says its alleries i dont think so never had them so what do you think it is? im all worry about cancer my thorat looks all funny too. one day it hurts like crazy the next day its fine its really weird.

Old 07-30-2002, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Hi:

Some bacteria are immune to some of the most commonly used antibiotics. Unfortunately, you don't find out whether the bacteria causing your sore throat is immune until after the antibiotic has failed.

An allergy test sounds like a good idea. If you do have an allergy, your immune system has to work harder and if the allergy hangs around a long time, this means that your immune system can overwork and get stressed out.

Another thing that happens with allergies is increased mucous production which normally helps the body rid itself of foreign bodies [allergens]. Unfortunately if there's too mucous being produced, or if it can't drain away completely, this creates a perfect breeding ground for 'opportunistic infections'. This just means that bugs which normally wouldn't trouble you now have a perfect home to hang around and breed.

I've had seasonal plus year-round allergies for many years. Whenever my allergies acted up, I'd often get opportunistic infections. Since my allergies have been under control [thanks to allergy shots], I rarely get throat infections.

Before a cancer diagnosis is made doctors usually want to make sure that they've eliminated other possible causes. This is mostly because cancer therapy is in itself quite dangerous.

Ask your doctor whether you might have chronic sinusitis, because that usually takes a much longer course of antibiotics than a regular throat infection and sometimes the only symptom is a sore throat that keeps coming back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2002, 09:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Penny -
You may also have vocal cord edema (swelling) from the infection. Another potential route to determine what is going on is to see an Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) doctor. They will actually look down there to see if there's anything else going on.

Ruth

Closed Thread